Hobbyist Forums banner

Best rattle-can paint for Trek starships?

• Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Blue

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Tamiya AS-26

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Tamiya AS-18

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Krylon Pewter Grey

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Dark Ghost Grey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day-glo green

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my Daedalus-class U.S.S. Horizon. And hats off to Matt Jeffries, btw.

I have built three so far, and they improve as I learn. Parts include PVC pipe, plastic baby-rattles and wood. I am working in (approximately) 1/350 and 1/175 scales.

The warp nacelle hydrogen collectors are really gumball machine prize containers and the inner domes are round x-mas tree ornaments spray-painted gold and red with chrome auto pinstripes for impeller blades.

I don't have a paint sprayer, so I rely on rattle cans. I am hoping Tamiya as-5 Luftwaffe blue is a good color for Trek ships, but I need help/advice on this matter, as I can't afford to order a bunch of colors to try out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
These are neat! An excellent scratch build using found materials and PVC. I've wanted to use PVC for builds before but since it's mostly used for plumbing, it doesn't come in a wide enough variety of diameters and thicknesses.
Good Job. What scale is the finished ship in the last photo?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I now have eight cans of Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue for both the Phase II Enterprise and the TOS 11 foot Enterprise and I'm using Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost Grey and Tamiya AS-25 Dark Ghost Grey for highlights/accents on those models (with Tamiya AS-29 Green Grey for the leading edge of the dorsal on the TOS Enterprise).

This is based on a comparison with a color sample of Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond which was shown to be a good match for the color of the 1/350 kit (which was intended to match the original model's color).

To be sure I did a test on some spare parts I had to see how the color worked… this is a test of Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue with weathering, gridlines and some decals next to a color sample of Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond…

It was after that color test I was sold. I went back and bought seven more cans of the stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are neat! An excellent scratch build using found materials and PVC. I've wanted to use PVC for builds before but since it's mostly used for plumbing, it doesn't come in a wide enough variety of diameters and thicknesses.
Good Job. What scale is the finished ship in the last photo?
As best I can determine from my research the finished one is 1/350 scale. It is about 16" long, with a 4" sphere, 2" secondary hull, and 1" nacelles. The one under construction is scaled up to 32" long.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I now have eight cans of Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue for both the Phase II Enterprise and the TOS 11 foot Enterprise and I'm using Tamiya AS-26 Light Ghost Grey and Tamiya AS-25 Dark Ghost Grey for highlights/accents on those models (with Tamiya AS-29 Green Grey for the leading edge of the dorsal on the TOS Enterprise).

This is based on a comparison with a color sample of Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond which was shown to be a good match for the color of the 1/350 kit (which was intended to match the original model's color).

To be sure I did a test on some spare parts I had to see how the color worked… this is a test of Tamiya AS-5 Luftwaffe Light Blue with weathering, gridlines and some decals next to a color sample of Behr UL220-15 Frozen Pond…

It was after that color test I was sold. I went back and bought seven more cans of the stuff. :thumbsup:

Wow, Shaw. THAT is a big help! I think I'll follow your lead there. Thank YOU!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like it, too. And since you cant buy a kit of it, I opted to use PVC. And it is possible to match the proportions and dimensions correctly that way, just using available resources from googling "USS Horizon" or USS "Daedalus"

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oooh, shiny! As a Daedalus fanboy (ya, we exist) I approve of this thread. :)

FYI, you can use the external fuel tank and boosters from Revell's 144-scale space shuttle kit for the main hull and nacelles in case you don't want to start completely from scratch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to light them using a three dollar string of miniature x-mas lights, rather than a $200 light kit and electricians' certificate, but opted for reflective tape for the windows. This works surprisingly well, especially during flash photography, as you can see in the last pic.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Never really been a fan of spherical primary hulls, though from an engineering standpoint it is more logical, you are doing an excellent job with this!

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you. I'm thinking of making pre-TOS variations of other starships, especially those that appear to have hull numbers older than the NCC-1701 Enterprise. Grissom, for example, is NCC-638, and I suspect that what we saw in Star Trek III is a rebuilt version of a much older research/survey vessel, perhaps similar to the SS Beagle mentioned in TOS "Bread and Circuses."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Finished my 32" Daedalus-Horizon build. It's not strictly accurate, but I'm getting better. Would love some opinions of it...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I think you did a great job on it! She really looks good in that last photo...I like the paint job you gave it, in particular.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts