Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am about to build the PL 1/1000 scale TOS Enterprise. I am sad that the hull does not contain windows. However, I want to light this kit, and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the windows myself.

That being the case, what tools/techinques would you guys suggest for doing that. What till make matters harder, is that the windows are square and not round. How do I make the windows squared after they've been cut/drilled out?

Comments welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
I first placed all stickers containing the windows on the kit. I then used my Dremel to drill out little holes in the square windows. I squared the windows using a mini square jewelers file.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I would use the smallest dremel tip possible and file it like Raist says. I will need to drill windows on my Reliant but they are not square luckily (maybe some are).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
PixelMagic said:
Raist, could you post some pictures? I am curious to see how yours came out.
Hi Pixel. Sure I can. I'm at work now, but I'll be sure to post once I get home tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Raist3001 said:
Hi Pixel. Sure I can. I'm at work now, but I'll be sure to post once I get home tonight.
Greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:


Also, what kind of putty, or filler do you guys use on seams? The area where the pylons connect to the secondary hull are kinda bad. I need to remedy this with putty or filler, and I was just wanting to see what you guys recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Testors Model Master Red Putty is always a good choice, since it doesn't shrink it can fill big gaps or just some regular epoxy putty for small gaps. You can also use Evercoat Spot-Lite, which can be found in most automative refinish stores. Probably the best putty is Nitro-Stan 9001, which can also be found in auto refinish supply stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
PixelMagic said:
Also, what kind of putty, or filler do you guys use on seams? The area where the pylons connect to the secondary hull are kinda bad. I need to remedy this with putty or filler, and I was just wanting to see what you guys recommend.
I use Epoxy Sculpt to fill in medium to large gaps and Bondo spot putty for small to sometimes medium gaps. Neither shrinks and both hold up extremely well when sanding wet or dry. Although this advice comes from the many good folks here who have given it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
PixelMagic said:
Raist, could you post some pictures? I am curious to see how yours came out.
Here ya go. You can see the jewelers file I use in the pic. The windows still need a bit of cleaning up.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice, Raist. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

So, do you just drill perferated holes for the windows, and then square them off with a jewelers file? Is that the jist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
PixelMagic said:
Very nice, Raist. Thank you for taking the time to post that.

So, do you just drill perferated holes for the windows, and then square them off with a jewelers file? Is that the jist?
No problem PM :)

I drilled 2 holes in each rectangular window, cleaned it up a bit with an exacto, and then inserted the jeweler's file with minimal effort.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top