Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Now THERE'S an oldie but a goodie! This is one of the very few Johnny Lightnings that I had as a kid. I didn't really care for the kind of characature-ish designs and proportions of most of their cars back then, so my cars were generally Hot Wheels and Matchboxes. Looking at this Toro, they pretty well nailed the proportions, even if the details were a little on the soft side. And the hood AND the doors open! (I think they can be forgiven for the side pipes.:p)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I with ya big Jim, this is one old Johnny that I think they nailed the basic shape of pretty dang good.
I'd add one to my diecast dungeon in a heart beat!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
She's real fine. Reminds me of the '84 'Nado that my best friend an I used to bomb around in during the mid to late 90's. It was maroon with matching valour interior, and that 307 sounded like a top fuel dragster because the exhaust system fell off at some point. The power windows were iffy, so we rode around all winter with the windows down. :lol: Oh, and the power seats died in the most forward position, so there was no legroom up front, for the passenger anyway. But for a $400 car she was a blast.

Another favorite JL of mine from this era is the Eldorado looking car. I don't know how accurate the proportions are, but it looks really boss.

I didn't really care for the kind of characature-ish designs and proportions of most of their cars back then, so my cars were generally Hot Wheels and Matchboxes.
Hot Wheels, no characaturish proportions there. Ha!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Hot Wheels, no characaturish proportions there. Ha!
OK, you got me there. Some of them were pretty solid, though. Looking back, the late 60's-style Corvette, Eldorado, and Thunderbird from the first release seemed pretty accurate, and I had an Olds 442 from just a couple of years later (early 70's) that was just about spot-on. For accuracy of the ones that were SUPPOSED to be acurate representations of 1:1 cars and not just figments of some toy designer's imagination, in my opinion there was no beating Matchbox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts