Hobbyist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some HW Collectors go nuts over the '67 Camaro Convertible.
It's sort of like the Drag Bus, regardless of how it looks they will buy it.
I think it is one of the most poorly made castings in the entire Mattel garage.

When stripped the '67 Camaro completely lacks any definition and the body has issues with a variety of casting seams, scars, dents and jagged edges.
It was the first HW to be manufactured so crisp definition wasn't on the drawing table at the time for this casting.

In the Mainline $1 cars we have the '69 Convertible Camaro introduced recently a couple of years ago.
This is a very well made casting that does an honorable job of portraying the real thing.
Now if HW will just give us the Hardtop '69 or '68 Camaro in the Mainline $1 cars.

I decided to throw some of these Camaro's into the run of NASCAR Customs I'm making for Bud Harris.

Like anything they have to be prepped correctly to make them stand out.
Any imperfections, scars, or casting seams are filed and sanded.
Wheel wells and inside edges of the interior opening are filed and sanded smooth.
Grille opening is filed and sanded.

Primered and shot Shimrin White.

Decals are created flame by flame in layers on top of Hood and Side scans of the body.

If you've ever seen the giant Scarlet Macaws of South America you'll recognize their influence in the Red Blue Yellow style. The Decals come out looking more like feathers than flames.

The Orange scheme of flames was put together to pay homage to the '68 Camaro Pace Car done in Orange and White.

PhotoShop allows you to line up the front of the flames to exactly match the shape of the Hood.

Cleared with HOK Urethane Enamel and a dash of Brilliant Gold Pearl Powder, the cars change from Glossy White to Gold when taken out in the Sun.
Taillights and Headlight louvers are detailed.
Custom Cut Chrome Center Caps dress out the factory rims.

ALL Products Used Are Exclusively House Of Kolor, Of Course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

In the Mainline $1 cars we have the '69 Convertible Camaro introduced recently a couple of years ago.
This is a very well made casting that does an honorable job of portraying the real thing.
Now if HW will just give us the Hardtop '69 or '68 Camaro in the Mainline $1 cars.
Had to read this post again and make sure of the posting date...

Pat, you do know that HW DID do the hardtop version of that 69 Camaro, right? ... and the so called "Hotchkis" Camaro is the current offering from the $1 mainline, available in both orange and purple now.

(my slightly custom-ed version below)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to read this post again and make sure of the posting date...

Pat, you do know that HW DID do the hardtop version of that 69 Camaro, right? ... and the so called "Hotchkis" Camaro is the current offering from the $1 mainline, available in both orange and purple now.

(my slightly custom-ed version below)

Thanks Pablo,
I had no idea this casting existed until this morning,
Bud called me and said he has been picking up some '69 Hardtop Camaros by HW.
I knew the BlackBox version existed but not the $1 car.

Glad you alerted me to this, thanks.
This Hardtop version will allow me to put Decaled information on the roof.

Your Johnny Ltng wheels really dress that sucker up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone out there seeing these Hardtop Camaros in quantity on the pegs??
Let's deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--CadillacPat the Uncustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
... amazing ...

Pat ... an amazing job on those.

That casting, and its hardtop cousin
(as Pablo informed you ... It does exist)
are my 2 favorite Camaro castings by far.

Your 'twins' are relly gotta-have-one-gorgeous.
(I had once one to customize. Went to a new home,
for one of the fellas in my cancer-support group ... in an
Emerald Green Kandy over Snow White Pearl, with the white
interior.)
Yours, within their all-white dressing, really sizzle.

A lot of talent you have.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have been picking up the hard top Camaros for quite a while now. The mainline cars are the 5th release of the casting. I have atleast 30 to 40 of the mainline cars and another 35 Larrys Garage RealRiders cars. Still have a few of the reg hunts left over. If you need some all ya gotta do is ask, pat.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks MiniCup,

It's regrettable that the theme of my initial post has been rudely interrupted by those who neither create nor display Customs.

My Custom NASCAR explanation is in the very first paragraphs of my post.

After I made these cars for Bud with his name on the them, the first thing that came to mind was they looked like what a Custom NASCAR would look like from the days when bodystyles had character and pizazz.
Glossy Shimrin White with Custom Graphics and the Driver's name emblazoned on the car.

Now imagine a track full of Gran Sport Corvette's, GTO's, Chevelle's, RoadRunner's, Chargers, 442's, Cutlasses, Gran Prixs, Boss 429's, Torino CobraJets, HO FireBirds, SS Camaros, everything fine and cool from the 60's and very early 70's, all with showroom paintjobs, flying around the track.
From the days when the Driver of the car was the Owner/Operator/ Builder/ Driver/ Mechanic.

That would be nice to watch instead of 40 cars that all look exactly the same bearing the sponsor logos of Tide, Office Depot, Sears, blah, blah, blah.

Hence, the Custom NASCAR genre is born.

Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easily understood Austin, glad you agree.

Keeping the ZING in CustomiZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.