Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I just got this car and wow what a great casting!

I remember seeing that car on one of those HWTF videos and thought "when are they cast that car?" Sure enough it's out and on the pegs.

I found one in Kmart the other day and then there was a crap ton of em in Walmart this weekend so I grabbed another.

I love this car and did a little review on it (just started doing reviews by the way and I mention this forum in a few of em.)

Anyway, anyone else digging it??

I keep calling the "card" a "box"..stupid!

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
Nice Custom 1971 El Camino Find. And Nice Video Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I still have mixed feelings about this one. One the one hand, it's nice to have an El Camino in the line. But on the other hand, I really could have done without the big ol' honkin' turbine engines in the bed. Now, how about my favorite El Camino: the '59?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
On the one hand, it's nice to have an El Camino in the line. But on the other hand, I really could have done without the big ol' honkin' turbine engines in the bed.
Do you know about the '68 Camino in the line? It's essentially the same car, but with a flat bed cover in place of the turbine engines and post-apocalypse detailing. They do have a '59 as well, but it was always a premium casting and hasn't been issued since 2003. Check that one out, it's very nice.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Do you know about the '68 Camino in the line? It's essentially the same car, but with a flat bed cover in place of the turbine engines and post-apocalypse detailing. They do have a '59 as well, but it was always a premium casting and hasn't been issued since 2003. Check that one out, it's very nice.
Dang, I totally forgot about the '68 Elky! I now well remember its First Editions guise: white, with engine and silly wing in the bed. The '59 is pretty nice, too; one to grab if ever I see it at a decent price.

There have actually been a lot of Hot Wheels El Caminos. In addition to the above, there was a '70 in the 100% line, a '71 (with an oddly low cab height) currently in production in the premium line, and an '80. They've only missed the '64/'65, '66/'67, and Colonnade years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've found most of the hard-to-find-in-Canada cars including the Mystery Machine but the '71 El Camino still eludes me. (Not asking for trades on this one, I'm sure I'll find it eventually.)

I can do without the jet engines in the truck bed too, but I know that Hot Wheels cars are also aimed at kids and not just adult collectors and kids will find it cooler than I do.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
For the passanger side red ring around the headlight.... My take it is a Air Intake too feed the Thrusters in the rear bed.

I know many people who had Imports back in the 90s took out one of their headlamps or made a special spot for the Air
Intake so you can force the air into the motor instead of your motor starving for air under the hood.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the passanger side red ring around the headlight.... My take it is a Air Intake too feed the Thrusters in the rear bed.

I know many people who had Imports back in the 90s took out one of their headlamps or made a special spot for the Air
Intake so you can force the air into the motor instead of your motor starving for air under the hood.
I think you're on point with something like that. There has got to be an intake for a turbine to blow it out the rear.

As far as the car overall, like said before I definitely think it's aimed more for kids that for collectors. I'm sure there arent too many old school, hardcore cars guys that care about those HWTF videos...still I like the car and if it turns the kids on to the hobby and to cars and racing in general, it's a win.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
If the recessed, red ringed headlight is an air duct I think it directs air to the conventional engine/turbo arrangement under hood which the dual side exhaust pipes hint at. It's too small to feed the turbines. That's what the ducts on the roof are for.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the recessed, red ringed headlight is an air duct I think it directs air to the conventional engine/turbo arrangement under hood which the dual side exhaust pipes hint at. It's too small to feed the turbines. That's what the ducts on the roof are for.
You know, I was in the shower and thought of this (probably TMI but whatever lol). I was planning on saying something similar that the headlight opening wouldnt get nearly enough air back there to propel that car 400mph like the card says.

Speaking of it looking like something from Mad Max, has there ever been a 1:64 casting of those cars??

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was planning on saying something similar that the headlight opening wouldnt get nearly enough air back there to propel that car 400mph like the card says.
You are correct. Turbine engines need huge amounts of air rammed into them to operate properly, and the headlight opening by itself more than likely would not sustain operation very long. They also have a huge appetite for fuel. The El Camino's not-so-aerodynamic shape would also be a bit of a barrier in reaching the 400-MPH mark...its front end is not exactly shaped like an airfoil.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
With enough power, aerodynamic limitations can be overcome. Like the brick-like, 5,500 pound Bentley saloons good for 170 mph, or a land speed record semi-truck. A couple of jet engines in the back could make even an ElCo fly. But like Alter said, the fuel consumption at full burn would empty the tanks real fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That casting makes me think of a failed prototype built by Doc Brown before switching to a Delorean for his time machine. Or maybe it was Buckaroo Banzai's first Jet Truck attempt to reach the 8th dimension.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts