Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching "Dagger of the Mind" last night (I'm loving my new Season 1 collection) and I noticed a curious detail.

The ring surrounding the flashing mind probe do-dad looks just like the ring around the lower sensor dome on the Enterprise model. I think we're looking at an extra one that wasn't used on the model...

Anyone else ever notice this?

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
There seems to be other parts similar to that of the 11 footer model that make appearances as props on the show. I seem to remember some discussions of another such part.

What we may be looking at are pieces from another model or pieces that were removed, repaired, or replaced off the original model. Perhaps another model was worked on at one time and was canceled due to budgetary restraints or some such. How would the pieces have made it from the Anderson company facilities over to Desilu?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Maybe they were just spare "found" parts, not something specially manufactured. They found 3 or 4, but only needed 1 or 2 on the E, so the rest got thrown in a prop dept box until someone decided it was needed.

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Shhhhhh!

I'm trying to turn this into a Quest For The Lost Enterprise Model! :devil:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PerfesserCoffee,

I would like to know what those other Enterprise parts are and when they showed up on screen. Can you find this discussion for me?

Ziz,

I don't think this is a "found part" -- it's more likely the case of an extra part being made for the model.

Here's why: This feature originally had to appear on the "3-footer", later an identical part 4 times bigger would have to be used on the "11-footer." This makes it highly unlikely to have been a "found part."

Mark

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
They could have been found parts at one scale, then made into the other size by the model shop.

There is definate precident for parts reuse in TOS - alien probe parts, computer consoles, etc. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some spares from the Big E were used in other props.

Then there are the glass transporter disks that were used from "The Cage" all the way through to the end of Voyager...talk about being cheap. Paramount used those suckers for almost 35 years.

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
MGagen said:
PerfesserCoffee,

I would like to know what those other Enterprise parts are and when they showed up on screen. Can you find this discussion for me?
You know, I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was that was brought up now. It was quite a while ago on the TREKBBS site, IIRC, and I can't remember what part or prop it was but it was a case of something at least resembling a ship model part being used for a prop or set detail. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting. What makes me think twice about it, though, is that the models were not constructed anywhere near where props and sets were built, and not by the same people. Different shops entirely.

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Treadwell said:
Interesting. What makes me think twice about it, though, is that the models were not constructed anywhere near where props and sets were built, and not by the same people. Different shops entirely.
That's the brick wall I keep running into when considering the possibility of a crossover of parts between the live action sets and the model. Not only was the 11-footer model built at a different facility but it was kept at a different studio and it seems unlikely that there'd be any parts floating back and forth between the two studios. :confused:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I know is it sure looks like the same part. Is it not possible that the fabricators sent replacement parts to Desilu, if extras were made?

Mark

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
MGagen said:
All I know is it sure looks like the same part. Is it not possible that the fabricators sent replacement parts to Desilu, if extras were made?

Mark

Maybe. :confused: Just seems more likely that the parts would go to the Anderson company.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
It's not the same piece. Not even close.

The retaining ring on the 11' model is opaque, and measures 6-5/8" in diameter. The insert piece from Dagger of the Mind is composed of clear "found" components, and is much larger and different in size, proportion and detail (many more concentric rings, etc.) than the model part.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trek Ace said:
It's not the same piece. Not even close.

The retaining ring on the 11' model is opaque, and measures 6-5/8" in diameter. The insert piece from Dagger of the Mind is composed of clear "found" components, and is much larger and different in size, proportion and detail (many more concentric rings, etc.) than the model part.
You seem pretty sure about that, Trek Ace.

It does appear that it may be translucent in the episode, but how you figure a scale is beyond me. Have you seen the actual set piece? One thing that made be wonder if it was larger was the lights visible through the crystal they placed in the middle. For it to be the model part, they would had to have used pretty small lights to get that effect.

My question was an idle curiosity based on a viewing of the episode, but I think it looks closer to the model part than you have indicated. Maybe I'm way off base, though. I'll try to get a screen cap of it tonight for comparison.

Mark

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trek Ace said:
Here is a pic of the Dagger insert piece and two comparison pics of the lower dome piece from the 11-footer.

The size, proportions and details are quite different. I'll let you be the judge. :)

Thanks, Trek Ace. You saved me the trouble of making screen caps from DVD on a Macintosh (a very laborious process).

Your image shows that the ring is definitely transparent, so it can't be a mere spare part from the model as the original piece is opaque. I concede this point.

However, what I take from these images is that it looks like a cast of the model part in clear resin. The "extra concentric rings" look like refractions due to the original part's shape. The proportions look nearly spot on to me (with a different center piece, of course).

Below I've attached some examples to illustrate what I'm talking about. The first image shows a quick-n-dirty(TM) mockup of the model part's shape in my 3D program. I've "painted" it with flat gray primer. The next image is of the same piece rendered as clear plastic. Notice the extra "rings" that appear, even though the shape has not changed. I believe this is what we're seeing in the capture from the show.

BTW, is the image of the model part the actual one taken during the restoration? Or is it from the Custom Replicas half scale model?

Mark

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts