Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fighter 1 is a craft from the early 80s animation feature "Crusher Joe", an elegant example of Shoji Kawamori's talent of fusing aviation and science fiction design features.

Hasegawa released a 1/72 kit last year that not only captures the lines perfectly but is also taylored to the more occasional modeler, with pre-colored snap fit parts, without sacrificing Hase's quality part fit and surface detail.

The kit was built mostly OOB. I replaced the wing antennas with needles and refined the contour of the gun housings.

The nose marking is provided as a decal, but I painted it to match my slightly darker mix for the hull color.

Paints used are Tamiya acrylics and Vallejo Metal Color for the engine parts.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
So nice to see some love for Crusher Joe! Very nice build there! The new Minerva looks...odd somehow. Something seems off with the lines and I just can't put my finger on it. And I am super bummed there's no hanger bay, and scratchbuilding one (besides being beyond my ability at this point) requires some major surgery with that rearmost support bulkhead frame.

But anyway, really nice fighter. Gonna pick up Fighter 2? And I think there was a vintage Gallion armored vehicle (either Takara or Nitto) that was close to 1/72.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Steve, in spite of the little Elfin figure, I could restrain myself from getting Fighter 2 thanks to all the other cool stuff that is currently around.
The Minerva, of course, I had to hold in my hands ASAP. It's an impressive kit and the promo shots just don't do it justice. It's a better representation of Kawamori's design than the old Takara kit or Wave's WHAM toy. There are, however, some nitpicks. The first is that the cockpit is just decals ( I have to get some clear parts in there), and the engineering is not what you would expect from Hasegawa at times, maybe due to the rather soft plastic.
I did the best I could to prepare the parts and still ended up with these seamlines, for example:

Polyester putty to the rescue...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually got some clear part into the Minerva cockpit windows, using the sprue from Fighter 1.

The 2nd photo also shows the somewhat unfortunate curvature of the nose, I hope I can sand that into a more elegant shape.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I was looking at both the Fighter and Minerva kits at the local LHS just this weekend. Back in the day I bought and made the original kits of all the vehicles and Robot from Crusher Joe. Pity the new kits are so expensive here in Oz. I will get at least one of them though. Your Fighter 1 looks great. Did you use the figures?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put Joe in the cockpit, you can get a glimpse of him in the first picture. Fortunately, the pink tint somewhat dials down his garish sense of fashion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts