Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crows Nest 1/48 Proteus Build

‎1/48 Crowsnest Proteus Build up.Teaser pix for upcomming Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeler Magazine article. This model will feature all the bells and Whistles from Crows Nest. Full Lighting Package..two sets of Figures..the works!!!!!

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you very much inded gentlemen!

Like I said, this will be a future article in Sci-Fi and Fantasy Modeler Magazine, But I will add different Pics etc..

To begin with I have to say Drew(Crowsnest), has gone above and beyond on producing this kit! It is one of the best "garage" kits I personally have ever had the pleasure to own and build.

More to follow!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Captain,
Welcome to the fleet! did you get the nifty lighting package as part of the bells and whistles?

One word of advice, If I may...Be sure to check and double check the height of the pilot in the chair against his instrument consle and the bubble. I had to shave down the raised bump the chair frame sat on so that his legs would clear the consol and he would have enough head room above the inside top of the bubble.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Captain,
Welcome to the fleet! did you get the nifty lighting package as part of the bells and whistles?

One word of advice, If I may...Be sure to check and double check the height of the pilot in the chair against his instrument consle and the bubble. I had to shave down the raised bump the chair frame sat on so that his legs would clear the consol and he would have enough head room above the inside top of the bubble.

Howdy Lou!

Yes indeed... this model will feature the lighting package. Yes, I have already adjusted the Pilot's Chair height..Thank you indeed for your sound advice though.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Where's the Raquel Welch figure?

Oh, sorry, that's a great kit. It will be amazing when finished! The detail is killer!

So, ummm, does Cora look good?
;) One track brain here...:tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I am psyched to follow this build! I spent a few years developing the kit, did one quick build for display, and then got sucked into the tasks of packing kits, shipping kits, and working on new kits! I LOVE seeing her getting built up!

... and with regards to the Cora figures... I have to admit I gave Cora a little extra attention. The hair style and other physical attributes are very recognzable even at that small scale... I am sure you will not be disappointed!

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am psyched to follow this build! I spent a few years developing the kit, did one quick build for display, and then got sucked into the tasks of packing kits, shipping kits, and working on new kits! I LOVE seeing her getting built up!

... and with regards to the Cora figures... I have to admit I gave Cora a little extra attention. The hair style and other physical attributes are very recognzable even at that small scale... I am sure you will not be disappointed!
I hope I make you proud Drew!!

More Pics Comming soon!!!

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Drew, you breeder scoundrel you!:jest::jest:

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE.

Test Fitting/Priming/Painting...The parts are just tacked together with a base coat applied before final clean up and super detailing..
A view from the front and from the Lab looking through the Hatch...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great work on a great model, I predict a more than great result.
Boy, Howdy.

This model looks super detailed and clean. Little rich for my blood. Nothing against Crow's Nest. Just broke right now. This is one of my all time favorites.

Funny how there is no room for a real propulsion system. Ah, Hollywood sci/fi. I love it.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
. . . Funny how there is no room for a real propulsion system. Ah, Hollywood sci/fi. I love it.
No room for ballast tanks either -- the crew cabin takes up pretty much the entire interior volume. And those intake openings in the nose lead to -- what?

But the thing looks so damn cool! :cool:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Boy, Howdy.

This model looks super detailed and clean. Little rich for my blood. Nothing against Crow's Nest. Just broke right now. This is one of my all time favorites.

Funny how there is no room for a real propulsion system. Ah, Hollywood sci/fi. I love it.

:cool:
aren't the big honking engines on the "wings" enough? powered by the nuclear pellet in the floor? steered by the guy in the bubble?

seems clear to me.

now the ballast issue has some legs, but the engines are as valid as any hollywood vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I thought Lou was going to hit the Legs issues when he said the ballast issue has some legs...

yes... Ballast... a problem.... but what about those freakin' legs!? Where do they go?

I left the legs off the kit... but made sure to keep the "feet" removable to assist anyone who wanted to scratch them.

well... I fell in love with the design when I was six years old... and later I would not tolerate changes.

L...but let's not hijack Captain Han Solo's thread with this zany conversation...
Captain Solo... your photography is excellent... you capture tiny details very well, sir!

Drew

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
let's not hijack Captain Han Solo's thread with this zany conversation...
My bad.

Hey, Great thinking on the ability to scratch the feet if wanted. It will be interesting to watch this build. I never did an entirely resin ship before. Especially this complex.

Capt'- thanks for the chronicle.....much needed and appreciated. No more derailing from this guy......(famous last words)

Drew, besides the optional figs, are there any special decals/goodies available for us folks without mad skills?

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
UPDATE!

I have Painted the exterior hull Pure white from Tamiya..Airbrushed on in several coats. I have also started detailing and Painting the interior..

The hatches.. I wanted my top hatch to open. I removed the white metal center of the Hatch Return and fashioned another out of Brass Rod of two sizes..The hatch now opens and closes.

I cemented the bottom hatch closed...

1 - 20 of 105 Posts