Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CRG – Circuit de Reims-Gueux - Model Racetrack in 1:64

Reims Gueux was a racetrack that hosted international races until the early 70ies in France. I had never heard of Circuit de Reims Gueux before a friend mentioned he was considering building a new track using structures that mostly still exist. Time has taken its toll and the buildings corroded over the years. But it seems there is still some interest to revive the venue and even a plan for a modern track by Henry Pescarolo (Le Mans Winner). I fell in love with the looks of the structures and sketched the Hotel sur la Piste and adjoining pits and the press and grand stands. My friends decide differently. I took over and developed a plan for new track. There are three aspects the built focuses on.

Firstly all structures are scaled to fit most Auroa AFX cars, because over the years I have come to like those best.

Secondly the table had to be light and separate in four segments. Makes moving the track much easier.

Thirdly the track should represent a typical day of racing in that period with an enormous crowd of spectators.

Now I am into my third year with that project. And there will be many more years to come until the track will be finished. The exiting part for me is that I will custom built all structures adding as much details as possible. There have been times when the built came to a hold. Sometimes it is difficult to regain momentum after these setbacks. Over the last two month the track progressed really well. It is up and running. Most mock-ups of all the different structures are in place. Some adjustments have to be made before I will start landscaping. But the general appearance looks promising.

Now this is my first post. And I hope you will find the subject interesting and entertaining. I know it is very European. But the friend who introduced me to CRG is American.

I have attached pictures of the latest structures. Three house for Village Gueux . If you are interested in the history of the project and the track you can find some information on my website.reims-gueux.blogspot.de oracar-foresthill.blogspot.deTranslation button top left under the header. I am not alowed to add links to my posts, sorry!

Thank you for reading!
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is my first thread. Ended up in the section. How can it be moved over to Slot CarTrack Building?

Sorry!
Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! T have always been partial to street circuits and the 60's - 70's era of racing. I think it has fantastic potential and will follow this build, keep at it!

P.S. you're gonna need a lot of tiny hay bales!
Walt :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice! T have always been partial to street circuits and the 60's - 70's era of racing. I think it has fantastic potential and will follow this build, keep at it!

P.S. you're gonna need a lot of tiny hay bales!
Walt :thumbsup:
just AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Bubba :wave:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I visited the remains of the Reims track in 2010, and it is an amazing place -- it is hallowed ground, alive with the ghosts of the men who raced there. The tribunes, the pits, the tower are all very atmospheric.

I enjoy and appreciate tracks that capture a specific time and place in motorsports history. You have made a great start, and the track and structures look fabulous. I'll be following this thread with great interest, so please keep the updates coming.

Thanks,
Rick V.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished Framework – Ready for the next leg

I want to thank for the attention and comments on my first post.

@ TyPey Thank you for your encouraging comment. Yes, bales of hay are difficult to produce. I have tried it before and did not like it. But I have been contemplating new techniques. They will be revealed once I come that stage.

@ Bubba Thank you!

@ Rick Voegelin Thank you for your kind words. Even with the limitation of a space I hope to capture some of the characteristics of the track. The size of the grandstands alone would exceed the space available. I will try my best.

@kognac Yes, I have already worked on the layout for a little over three years. But it was not always work. There were times when I had to overcome issues and rethink details. Building the structures from scratch is time consuming. But I like to give me time and delve into as many details as possible. It is like going on adventures.

Just before Easter the framework for the landscape was completed. Even after all the planning it is surprising to see the changes while progressing the layout. Before the framework was made, mock-ups of the posts had to be made and some details on the buildings added. The roofs of the French houses expose some interesting details. Especially after I had found more pictures of backsides of the buildings of the Village.

The framework consists of corrugated cardboard. The stripes were placed approximately 6cm apart. The stripes are linked by smaller pieces and mounted on the table with wood glue. Looking at the framework from the front it looks rather abstract. The view from the side reveals more on a landscape.

Next step will be to build the skin for the landscape by mounting paper onto the framework. After that a thin layer of plaster will be added for a better support.
Because I will have to dissemble the layout again, I took the time to turn some laps on the track. I am excited by the prospect of adding layers of green. It will change the look and feel once again.

Here is some Hollywood style image with a little backdrop :)

Thank you for reading!
Michael

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
bales of hay.
small blocks of wood.
thin white glue with a little water
coat blocks
roll around in Shredded Wheat
that is an American brand breakfast cereal
you should be able to fins a similar product where you live.
I think you will be pleased with the effect

·
Registered
28 Posts
alpink's hay bale method does look good, saw it in another thread here I think?

Window screen may work as a base for your landscape, cheap, light, strong and easy to work with for contours.

Your work is very impressive, can't wait to see more! Making me rethink my whole track plan, but that's ok.

Walt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Michael,
After you get the plaster chipped off of you and everything else it's not supposed to be on I would really love to see you put up some more pics of the Pits/Control building and the grandstands.

Those could be a separate thread (All of the Structures) on their own!

Really admire your work!

Thanks,Walt

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Walt,

Thank you for interest and comments. I thought I would feature the structures as I go along. The plan was to fish the landscape to a certain degree. By adding the building more detailing will be necessary, on the building and the surrounding landscape. This will provide the opportunity to introduce each building with its particular features.

I would be happy to answer specific question if needed.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting into shape at CRG

I have made some progress on Landscaping over the past weeks. First a layer of wrapping paper was mounted onto the framework. Next came a layer plaster cloth and model plaster to create some details like rocks. Those are my first one solely created using a spatula. Also the original landscape does not feature rocks I decided to use the rocks structure to give the landscape an interesting detail to rest the eyes on.

The rocks received their first washes with acrylics. The colour will probably change again. Grass and bushes will be added to the rocks to blend in with the rest. The texture of the rocks is supposed to underline the length of the track. Repeating the rock formation in other places will help to pull the layout together.

The landscape received a first layer of soil made from wood glue, plaster, sand and dark brown colour. The second layer persists of turf, sand and debris. This will be the basis for the short grass.

Because I decided to work with GrassMaster on the layout for the first time, I made a test patch. The results show it will be good to work in layers again. The different layers have to dry out completely. The excess material needs to be vacuumed before the next layer is applied.

I hope you enjoy the results.
Michael

1 - 20 of 71 Posts