Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just attempted to replace the starter rope on my Craftsman gas Trimmer Model# 358791030. After reinstalling the clutch, when I try to start it,the clutch tightens against the casing and locks the shaft. I have disassembled and reassembled it several times with no success. Also the unit works perfectly fine without the clutch plate installed. Can anyone help me out with this?

·
Registered
333 Posts
One, make sure the clutch is mounted spring side up and make sure the spring is in place. Two, when you remove the clutch, you may have moved the flywheel out of place. Make sure the flywheel is locked down on the shaft with the key in the slot. I looked at a parts list and don't see a picture of the flywheel but most likely the key is built into the flywheel. Everything not being locked down in place may make the clutch sitting too high. Go to a parts diagram and make sure everything is put together in the right order.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/craftsman-358791030-trimmer-parts-c-158286_187878_493968.html?q=358791030

·
Registered
214 Posts
When you put the cover back on,there is a spacer that slides down on the shaft.Then a washer goes on the shaft,and then the clutch.After the clutch is tighten,there is sometimes a thin washer goes in front of the clutch,and then the clutch cover goes on. Hope this helps.

Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts