Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman rider, 917.258591. Replaced transmission belt as the mower would not go up an incline. Still having issues. Trans is not leaking. Is there some other adjustment on these hydro transmissions or is the hydro wore out?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Most of these type tranny's are not serviceable. But old worn out fluid, a dirty filter or low fluid level can also cause this condition.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Most of these type tranny's are not serviceable. But old worn out fluid, a dirty filter or low fluid level can also cause this condition.
So, basically there is no way to change filter/fluid or even add fluid? I just spent almost $100 on a drive and deck belt!! Can the hydro be removed and opened up to replace fluid/filter??
The filter is almost $100 plus shipping!!!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
So, basically there is no way to change filter/fluid or even add fluid? I just spent almost $100 on a drive and deck belt!! Can the hydro be removed and opened up to replace fluid/filter??
The filter is almost $100 plus shipping!!!
I see the Hydro in your unit shows an IPL, so parts are available. I would drain and refill with new fluid before trying anything else. That would be the least expensive thing to try first. You should be able to drain and refill through the vent.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Extracted the fluid. Did not look to bad, a little discolored. Will refill and see. Other than the regular fluid, is there any additive that would help. Marvel Mystery Oil?
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Manual shows to use 20w50 motor oil and uses approx 80 ounces. There are additives that can be added, but I have never tried any and don't really know if they help any or not. Lucas has some for hydro's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts