Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Craftsman rider with a 12.5 hp Briggs is having an issue with the transmission. I figured I would ask you guys before I get into it. When the engine is running, if you depress the clutch pedal, sometimes it will not allow you to get the tractor out of the gear that it's in. The tractor does come to a stop when the clutch is pressed. When the engine is off, it the gear selector moves without any problems.

I'm thinking it may be a clutch pedal adjustment, but I have no idea without opening it up and having a closer look. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The clutch just releases tension on the transmission drive belt. Unless the drive belt still has tension and is trying to turn then this should not have any effect on shifting the transmission.

It is likely due to the brake holding pressure internally on the shift pins. Simply easing up on the clutch/brake pedal a little should allow shifting. The brake may be sticking and not releasing like it should if it has any rust or corrosion on the pins or mechanism. The brake assembly is usually located externally on the transaxle of most riding mowers and can be serviced without removal of the transaxle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch just releases tension on the transmission drive belt. Unless the drive belt still has tension and is trying to turn then this should not have any effect on shifting the transmission.

It is likely due to the brake holding pressure internally on the shift pins. Simply easing up on the clutch/brake pedal a little should allow shifting. The brake may be sticking and not releasing like it should if it has any rust or corrosion on the pins or mechanism. The brake assembly is usually located externally on the transaxle of most riding mowers and can be serviced without removal of the transaxle.

I tried this out today and you're right. When I lift the pedal enough to release the brake, the shifter can move out of gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts