Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a craftsman self-propelled mower. I believe the engine is a Craftsman as well (that is the only name on it).

Right along the horizontal seam where the engine meets the mounting portion, the oil seems to just seep out. I have attached pics ( once I meet the 5 post min)

Is it worth it to fix this? It was a $50 buy on Craig's List, I want a good mower, I just can't afford to spend $250. If this is going to be more than $100, then I will just go back to push mowing my hilly back yard.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Without the pics, I am guessing the gasket between the crankcase halves has failed. requires removing the engine from the mower deck and separating the crankcase halves. Gasket should be under $10+ shipping. Enter the engine model # on the Sears site and search for the gasket. Drain oil prior to starting this task.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is it leaking from the oil dip stick tube? There is a o-ring on the tube where it enters the base of the engine. Is this a Tecumseh made Craftsman engine? The model number will begin with a 143 if it is. Some of these Tecumseh's have a oil breather that can leak. It's located under the flywheel and presses into the top half of the crankcase.

Spit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts