Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do dremels come with a saftey nowdays? This is an attempt to realize some sort of satisfaction from a fleabay shellacing I recently received. So the fun began. I initially relieved my frustrations with "Danger Dan Dremel". I already had an Olive XKE in not much better condition than the supposed "mint condition" XKE I just got burned on.................I had seen a nifty XKE roadster on the Bay a while back. This roadster was beautifully executed and stuck in my mind. I could've restored my Cowpie Coupe with a minimum of fuss; but so what, I already have a couple of nice coupes. Boring! :rolleyes: ...................................I began by sectioning the required parts, to be used later, from my original cull body. After the glass was removed from Cowpie, the roof was sliced horizontally leaving the windshield frame intact. A line was scribed along what will be the trunk line for the roadster, as the coupe was a hatchback and the lines dont relate. The scribe was cut deeper until the entire remaining roof section could be smooshed down. Of course hindsight forced the removal of the rear screw post as it hit the rear bumper support when the roof was rolled down. A few flicks of the bic allowed the roof to roll in without cracking or stress marking. The roof section was secured from underneath with an initial skim of styrene goo, and floated out............. The following day, after a 24 hr cure, the top seam got it's first skim, floated out, and left to cure. Tonight a little wet sanding to find out where I'm at, and a fill of what was once the rear window of the coupe...............I've also got some bumper (abuse) treatments in the works. The later style XKE bumpers were bulbous contraptions better suited to a 50's Buick. The top sections of the front and rear body from my cull were removed and inverted to provide a nice wrap around rear and a proper looking oval grill similar to the D types. They're already made and fit. I gotta leavem' aside for now......................... The cockpit area will be filled with the complete roof section from the cull, mounted in the inverted position. It's a near perfect fit with no mods required. I'm still contemplating the interior and would like something similar to the butt hugger buckets on the original XKE's. Anybody got some ideas? As a last resort I'll carve them out off a Mustang carcass......................Stay tuned for more mayhem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bill,

Well, you've got a start. Need some more pics to get a better idea of how all it will come together. Will be looking forward to what you come up with . . .

Cheers,
Jas

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
jag pics

You want ideas?

I would love to see a well done e type. With or without detachable parasol....

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
As soon as I figure out how your pics match your description, Bill, I am sure I will love it,eh? Sounds good so far! :thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe, Thats a green blob, with green tape! I figured I couldnt lose. It's still kind of a mystery to me as well! I'm doing the play by play on this. It's really not fair for y'all not to suffer along with me. The suspense is killin me. Yarrrgh!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A question for the group

Well here's what I got so far. The first pic shows the coupe's sectioned roof, now a trunk roughed out in 600 wet, and the remaining large panels to complete the car................. Pic 2 shows the rear window filled with a left over chunk of the sectioned roof that protruded well into the passenger compartment. Note the forward trunk apron installed at the rear of the passenger compartment. The apron was created from a rocker panel of the donor car.....................Pic 3 Shows the beginnings of the front bumper delete. The upper half of the donor car nose/grill was inverted and installed. Since the pics it has been roughed shaped in 320/600. The front seam will get it's first skim of "Vita-Goo" tonite.....................The rear valence is a bit narrow top to bottom and will require a pie wedge to compliment the rocker panel line. It's still in the works, maybe tonite........................Now the question. Split Poster threw me a curve ball with that awsome E Type pic. Thanks Split! I think? I originally had planned a standard XKE roadster with windshield. It's still there, thin and scary. :rolleyes: I've been keeping it mummified in tape. It'll be plenty secure once the glass is mounted. I've still got a ways to go, but the crossroad is approaching. The remaining donor roof panel will create the cockpit filler. However, I'm in a quandry. Do I mount the panel convex down creating the passenger compartment, and leave the car a standard convertible; or do I mount the panel convex up as a tonneau or hard charapice and delete the windshield, maybe add a shorty windscreen like a detrimmed vintage SCCA racer? The solution may come regardless, as the stock windshield frame is very thin. It's survived so far, but once the compartment panel is installed I'm committed. I probably should be committed anyway. LOL. I would appreciate some input from the gang regarding this question. Thanks, BH

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I think you should go with the parasol,eh?! hehehe....looks great so far!
I love the look of a single seat. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bill- awesome work. Very smooth cuts. Great job lowering the rear roof to become the rear deck. I did a Shaguar in a prior post, but I just cut and filled the rear deck. Yours looks much smoother.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
More Jag pics

Hey Bill,

I guess it would be obvious that I am a single seat fan. I watched the last XKE to win an SCCA national championship on TV in 81 or 82 (WTBS covered it at the dawn of time), and have been a 1:1 road race driver/worker/crew/paddock slouch ever since.

The factory sponsored jags as pictured previously have that tonneau, here are pics of another car without one. The curves are so good the picture should be rated PG.

BTW, for pure fun on a $25 ticket and maxing out memory cards nothing beats a good vintage race weekend.

Jeff

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
This is really interesting to watch Bill thanks for doing it.. car is really starting to take shape...

Dave

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
All I can say is WOW, always thought it looked like that roof would fit, just never had/took the time...this is looking great!

Keep this one stock, and I'll send you two more Jag bodies so you can convert them into SCCA racers.......one for you, and one for me. LMK where to send them!

-------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See your local bartender!

roadrner said:
........................The hard part is gonna be that umbrella. :devil: rr
:p Funny you should say that. It was one of the first things I thought about when Jeff posted that shaded E-type! Then it came to me! Can you say Mai Tai? Pin Colada? Or maybe I'll snitch a proper "Barbie umbrella" from my Grandaughter. (Insert diabolical laughter) :devil:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time to run away!

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's the results of last nites "Vita-Gooing". Pic 1 shows the rear bumper delete. Looks a bit like an AC Cobra. The bulbous curvature will be sharpened during finish sanding.............................................. Pic 2 shows the front bumper delete with the complete oval mouth, unlike the original. As you can see I like to leave extra material. It's easier than having to blend a spot repair later if you come up short. One continuous float of goo also maintains a better color match if you choose not to paint later.......................Pic 3 shows the rough profile of what I had in mind. You can barely make out the pie wedges used to roll down the rear valence. The left one shifted out a little so it's visible. It'll vanish when I rough the clods off with 320 wet. For the interem, I'll finish the wheel wells stock. Lurking in the background is the chassis with some narrowed AFX specialty slots. I'd like to do the car with some flares like Jeff's pics but I'm running out of donor plastic. I'll probably just find a way to tuckem' under the stock skin............................To SCJ: The hard reality of this conversion is that it takes two fairly solid cars to complete. There is not much left over. The olive scrap pile is down to bits. It's gonna be close! So I'll need four bodies! LOL. Lets see how this one turns out before you commit. ...........................And now it's time to run away, There's still alot of hot cement in those skims. So I'm gonna set it aside for a coupla days. BH

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Really nice play by play, this is going to be one nice looking car. If I had any marginal Jags I'd send them along too. I don't cast or do radical customs, and wouldn't expect to approach this kind of skill level for a long time if I had started. But it's funny that I can buy a C type or D type, and easily convert a tjet XK 140 roadster to race trim. But no E type roadsters? They arguably have the best lines of any of them.

I'm always glad to share the pictures.

Jeff

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have at it Jeff!

SplitPoster said:
.......................... I don't cast or do radical customs, and wouldn't expect to approach this kind of skill level for a long time if I had started.................................
Truthfully I had'nt touched a slot car in 35 years until last January. I've always been a mechanic. My second vocation, which I continued over all the years and jobs was in a custom body shop that specialized in 911 conversions. We also saw a lot of Ferraris, Lambos, BMTrouble You's and Merciless Benzes. Jags were common, but the E type, like always, was a rarity. I had the honor of working on a retired vintage E-type coupe SCCA racer. She was a thing of beauty. She had all the goodies and then some, slammed, flared, smoothed and lightened, finished in a half mile of red lacquer, with fat, perfect original knock off mags. The proverbial red rocket. It ruined me for all Jags, for ever! Your pics brought back some fond memories. I had all but forgotten her. I guess my moonlight job was actually my true career. Flares, deletes or fills, and frenches were my natural calling, all in metal of course. I do belly pans and structural as well, but any good sheetmetal guy can handle the meat and potatoes. None of that flat rate panel hacking for me. Yucky! I had the privilege of working on many beautiful, exotic automobiles..............I guess my point is that styrene sculpting was a new world to me 10 months ago when returned to slots. I created a GTO swamp thing blob from two culls. It was horrible and I keep that goat front and center on the slot bench to inspire me. Whacking up 1:1 cars comes naturally but the process for reassembling the slot cars I've butchered was uncharted territory. Plastics, composites, urethanes, or fiber glass were not my forte. Sure, I'm adequate, but I still get twitchy any time I've got a spreader full of goo no matter what it is. ................. So Jeff, there's no time like the present. Pull a slot cull out of the junk box and have at it. The skills are nothing special. It's just plain old repetition that hones them. My new motto is that this body couldn't get any worse. It was a runner when I got it, and it will always be a runner. Plastic cement and sandpaper are cheap. Although the prices seem to be rising, junk bodies are still fairly cheap and plentiful. No matter how this E-type turns out, what's important to me is the lessons learned to apply to my next victim. Go for it! :thumbsup: Bill

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Bill, PM or email me. May have a few other photos you'd like to reference.

I am self-loaded with 1:1 project work, if either victim was as exotic as a Jag I wouldn't have ignored it for the better part of a year.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 42 Posts