Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
I say anything before 1995 when all the yahoos got into "collecting".

Disclaimer: Not everyone who started collecting after 1995 is a yahoo. Just the ones who don't know there are other cars besides WL's anf THs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Whoops forgot to answer my own question lol I know with 1;1 car there has always been the 20 year rule (maybe that is just something with guys I hang with) but I think that would be pretty accurate for my diecast means as well. So stuff after 1985 would not be vintage (some give to that). When did mattel start the card numbers? 1990? I would guess that might be a good cutoff point. Just curious as to what people think I bet there are MB collectors that would say anything post 1970 is not vintage :):

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I think Vintage would be Before 74.

75 and up was not as cool!
Just like the Charger, 74 was the last real year for it, it was still around after 74 but just not the same quality :)

I like some of the newer stuff just because of the muscle cars that are made, but nothing will ever beat the Originals!

www.moparmarc.com

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There was some decent stuff after 75, what about the Super Chromes? I consider anything Pre "Hot Ones". Those wheels are just plain NASTY. Redlines and Blackwalls!!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Personally I think that the 20 year rule that was stated above is a really good rule.
I also like the "anything pre 95" idea. Not sure that going back 10 years would be considered vintage, unless you are talking about the computer industry. lol :)
Richard

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
computer guy said:
Personally I think that the 20 year rule that was stated above is a really good rule.
I also like the "anything pre 95" idea. Not sure that going back 10 years would be considered vintage, unless you are talking about the computer industry. lol :)
Richard
10 days would make a computer vintage lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
vw-wl-collector said:
10 days would make a computer vintage lol
I have my first PC, a vintage 286-6MHZ running Windows 2.0.....I think the HD is 20 meg. It used to be EGA but I upgraded to VGA.

For Diecast either 1974 and earlier or I could live with the 20 year rule. 1995 is far too current to be considered vintage...

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
jlightning said:
I have my first PC, a vintage 286-6MHZ running Windows 2.0.....I think the HD is 20 meg. It used to be EGA but I upgraded to VGA.
how bout this one,... my original...

Commodore 64 (total of 64k memory) with a TV adapter running programs one at a time off a cassette tape drive! ( I was estatic when I could actually get a 5 1/4 inch one sided floppy dive!)

R

·
0 Posts
Pablodragon said:
how bout this one,... my original...

Commodore 64 (total of 64k memory) with a TV adapter running programs one at a time off a cassette tape drive! ( I was estatic when I could actually get a 5 1/4 inch one sided floppy dive!)
Pablo, yep, still have one of those somewhere in my basement...... here's a scary one, I bought a Colecovision (still have it also) because I was going to buy their computer "Adam" ... fortunately we didn't have the money at the time and before we did, they stopped making them.....whew!!

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
robmcin said:
Pablo, yep, still have one of those somewhere in my basement...... here's a scary one, I bought a Colecovision (still ahve it also) because I was going to buy their computer "Adam" ... fortunately we didn't have the movey at the time and before we did, they stopped making them.....whew!!
Damn! You guys are OLD!!! :D

R

·
0 Posts
Mr.Stubbs said:
Damn! You guys are OLD!!! :D
Hey!!!! Are you TALKIN' SMACK to me??? :cool:

and just remember, in 1 year and 1 day you will be just as old as me you young whippersnapper!! :drunk:

·
Registered
309 Posts
From the lyrics of Bowling for Soup's 1985 song.----"When did Motley Crew become classic rock?"

Some like to think of Blackwall years for Hot Wheels. Pre-95 BUT I sway strongly towards pre-85 stuff. So I think the 20 year rule fits perfect FOR ME.

BTW, HO Wheels are cool on SOME cars! Here's a few examples regular BW's look dorky on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts