Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diecast COTs are a good match for the Mega G wheelbase. I kept some of the interior to fill in some of the space seen through the glass.

Anybody thirsty?

·
Registered
188 Posts
So, you will have to excuse my ingnorance on this one since I've not done this before. How do you attach the bodies to the chassis? This seems like a really cool way to add some neat cars to the fleet. How do they handle with the heavier metal bodies?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use double-sided tape to mount the bodies, a trick I learned from others in this forum.

It sticks well, so you can set the height pretty easily. One small downside of using that tape is that it has some memory to it, so if you misalign the wheelbase for example, you can slide the body to align it but it will tend to slide back by itself. Best bet is to take off the body and reset it. You would need to stack the tape pieces to fit the body width so you get a snug fit. I attach the tape to the chassis and then put the body on.

Using tape is a quick way to mount a body and change it easily. If the tape is too tight (compressed), remove the chassis slowly though since sometimes it can really stick, and pulling on the front or back of the chassis can flex it.

Diecast bodies are great for adding variety, and the detail/ proportions are usually quite nice. I don't race them, but I do run them around my track and they move right along. As you would expect, the heavy body makes you concentrate more on the cornering, and it will fishtail some. At the end of a long straight, you need to slow down to take the corner or else you will launch a missile! One thing I don't know is the long-term effects of running a heavy body on the motor or pickup shoe wear.

See my earlier post "Diecast conversion: Ferrari 430" for a picture of the underside of a diecast body with tape mount.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I used hot glue to mount the plastic TREVCO ornament NASCAR COT bodies onto Tyco chassis. I took a wide pan chassis and coated the sides with vaseline. I then sanded the inside of the body to roughen up the plastic. I then added the hot glue to the sides of the chassis and then to the inside of the body and mated them. I had already created spacers for the bottom of the car and tires to guarantee proper spacing. After the glue cools, you can then easily remove the body from the chassis.
I would venture this would work on the die cast bodies also.

EDIT: Just saw a previous thread where 'doba uses DAP silicone instead of hot glue. I haven't tried it, but I am almost certain it would be easier to work with.
Gary
AKA LeeRoy98
www.marioncountyraceway.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts