Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at couple of pictures of you guys with different wing on it? Mine doesn't look nothing like theirs? Is there aftermarket wing to go with COT body? I got impala body if you're wondering and I would like to get it fixed before I head to snowbird for first time. Thank you very much!

Look at the picture and tell me am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
what you are see is the protoform cot bodies and wings,, yours looks to be a mcallister body . the riasers are molded into the wing on the mcallister body and on the protoform bodies the riasers are molded in to the rear deck lead of the body. some also run the hpi wing on the cot bodies,, but they arent legal at most tracks.. me personally i like the protoform cot body,, you have to run the wing that comes with the body to be legal at most places,, some track allow different wings for their own local track rules. hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The one thing I dislike about Protoform's wing is how out of scale it is, relative to the body. They make a beautifully molded body, and then add a stocky wing to go along with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response... yes it's mcallister impala body. When I looked at their website their wing looks different than what I got? That is why I got confused something's wrong with that wing. I didn't cut much just the line around it and it came out like that. So looks like I'm stuck with that wing for snowbird :eek: Hope the car will stick not spin out crazy ha!

·
Registered
706 Posts
One thing that I notice is that you seem to be missing the side "thrust plates" on the wing. For some reason instead molding them directly into the wing McAllister decided to put them in the front wheel wells to be cut out and applied after the fact with some kind of adhesive. Kind of a design flaw in my opinion. My local track has a "SPEC" class that runs this body exclusively and I think 75% of the guys who run in this class missed seeing the plates in the front wheel cut-out area and threw them out ,the problem there is they are required by the rules for this class to be installed on the car. That led to everyone copying the cut outs that the few who didn't miss them had on their cars. If you haven't already thrown out your front wheel cut-out area then you might be able to salvage them. If they are gone however I hope the track you race at doesn't have a rule requiring them and if so then I would find someone with that body and copy them.

John :thumbsup:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Alan-
You did a great job on painting the body. The rear wing looks OK mounting wise, but the cut out at the rear is a little much and it would be better with the side plates attached. Not sure about the cofussion on the side plates or fins on the wing. All touring cars, oval cars and dirt late models have had attachable side fins on wings forever. Even if you don't use the ones indicated on the body, you can easily cut some out of sheet Lexan. I'm including some photos of the rear wing that shows a good starting point. It's best to start with the full rear lip and trim for adjustment. Alan, send me an email with your address and I'll send you some spare wings to play [email protected]

Thanks
Gary McAllister

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody! I feel dumb haha! I actually threw the front wheel cut out at the hobby shop haha today! I'll go back tomorrow and hope it's still there :) Thank you so much for the help!

Gary-Awesome I would love to have spare to play with to get the feel of different wings for snowbird! Actually I had John from California painted the body for me he did fantastic job! Thanks for the compliement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing that I notice is that you seem to be missing the side "thrust plates" on the wing. For some reason instead molding them directly into the wing McAllister decided to put them in the front wheel wells to be cut out and applied after the fact with some kind of adhesive. Kind of a design flaw in my opinion. My local track has a "SPEC" class that runs this body exclusively and I think 75% of the guys who run in this class missed seeing the plates in the front wheel cut-out area and threw them out ,the problem there is they are required by the rules for this class to be installed on the car. That led to everyone copying the cut outs that the few who didn't miss them had on their cars. If you haven't already thrown out your front wheel cut-out area then you might be able to salvage them. If they are gone however I hope the track you race at doesn't have a rule requiring them and if so then I would find someone with that body and copy them.

John :thumbsup:

Ha so I'm not the only one :freak:Thanks for the help! Wish I got track in Texas to race carpet oval which is none! I'll be coming to snowbird to race first time since 2005! yikes hope my driving isn't bad :wave:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Go to the TOUR thread...I think they amended the wing rule. I did not attach the side plates on my wing from protoform. I think its legal to run with out them. I'll find out when I get to the Birds.

One thing I knoticed on McCalister and Protoform is the wing rake is kinda off. I used a little peice of 2-side tape as a shim under the back side of the mounting platform to get the wing level.

The side plates from protoform are really warped and I will not attach them to my car I kept them for a template to cut out some from lexan if I am forced to run with them. I really dont like the wing that comes with the car at all. I may get the mudslide wing to see of its better.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Go to the TOUR thread...I think they amended the wing rule. I did not attach the side plates on my wing from protoform. I think its legal to run with out them. I'll find out when I get to the Birds.

One thing I knoticed on McCalister and Protoform is the wing rake is kinda off. I used a little peice of 2-side tape as a shim under the back side of the mounting platform to get the wing level.

The side plates from protoform are really warped and I will not attach them to my car I kept them for a template to cut out some from lexan if I am forced to run with them. I really dont like the wing that comes with the car at all. I may get the mudslide wing to see of its better.
LOL the proto are formed with a curve in them as is the wing they are not warped.the wing that comes with the body is fine if you go sticking it up in the air you might not like the results.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Dan,

There's a thread or two on here talking about that subject..

How's LIFE up there??

I just spent a week in Mesa, went by SRS while I was there - wanted to go up to FLAG, but weather.com said - IT WAS COLD!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Joe-
I was at SRS for a race last weekend. Wes Fukushima said he bumped into you there the week before. What do you mean, you didn't come to Flagstaff because it was cold....It's Winter in Northern Arizona....but it's a dry cold. lol It would be nice to see you in Flagstaff sometime for one of our racedays. I think you would be pleasantly surprised....in the Summer of course. Don't want you to get frostbite.

I'd be surprised if Nascar changes the wings for Cup in 2010, but anything is possible. It would sure throw a stick in the spokes after all the effort to get things working with the wing. I just hope RC oval does what ever the full size cars do and not revert back to the "goofey wing" situation. We're almost back to looking like the actual race cars. By the way Joe, You should start referring to the old Nascar body styles as Late Models, not regular stock car bodies, that's what they will be by mid 2010.

Gary

Here's what you would have seen in Flagstaff.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dan,

There's a thread or two on here talking about that subject..

How's LIFE up there??

I just spent a week in Mesa, went by SRS while I was there - wanted to go up to FLAG, but weather.com said - IT WAS COLD!

Hi Joe,
Happy New Year!
Just read those threads you mentioned, been kind of out of touch for a month. Got knee surgery Dec. 10, AND my computer crashed soon after that! Back at work this week finally.
Dan

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Gary...

I've never been SO GLAD I listened to the COMMON SENSE voice in my head and DIDN'T go to FLAG!

I was at my Daughters place in Mesa for several days, and each morning I'd pour a big ol mug of COFFEE and sit on her front patio w/ my laptop - it was very nice!

·
pancar schizophrenic
3,303 Posts
Just heard a rumor (Nascar Hub) last night that they will be dropping the COT wing in favor of a spoiler! Now what?
i heard the same. id say just go back to runnin a C-HD. im not a fan of COT bodies at all. LOVE the look, but doesnt help the car at all...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts