Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Super Moderator
Mrs Fox planned an outing for today since it's (pickup) Taco Tuesday. Three out 5 places we went had TP!

I am hopeful though now that mention is being made to flatten out the curve for the cost of the cure over that of the disease.

Registered
Here in New Zealand we are in the first day of lockdown for one month. The country is closed and everyone who is not in an 'essential' service has been told to stay at home and only go out for food or walks/cycles around the block for exercise.
We have to stay in our isolated bubbles. Staying at least 2 metres away from others.
Supermarkets, pharmacies, some dairys (AKA convenience stores.) are still open so we can get food and medicine but that is about it. Building and hardware stores are only open for tradespeople who need to fix an emergency problem.
All restaurants are closed and although mail, couriers, rail and truckies are still in operation, there is a ban on sending cooked food. So no Uber Eats, even if a restaurant could still create the dishes.
Of course Hospitals, doctors surgeries, Ambulance services, Police and Fire etc are operating.
All public gatherings are banned, naturally.

The government is stumping up cash to pay people who can't work.

Fun times for a country of 4.7 million peeps.... Not!

Completely agree with you all... Great time for modeling.

However, I mixed up some resin earlier today, and now I am a bit stir crazy.馃榿

Registered
Forgot to mention,
If those panic buyers have cleaned out hand sanitiser from the local stores then grab some isopropyl alcohol from a hardware store. Mix 70% alcohol with 30% water and put it in a small spray bottle.
Voila! Hand sanitiser! And it is as cheap as chips. (That means really cheap.)

Oxidation Genius
Xena will save you!

I hear hand sanitizer really doesn't do anything. Good ol' soap and water is the best thing. Soap and water actually breaks down the virus shell and kills the virus. Wash your hands a lot!

Super Moderator
No delivery of cooked food for the next 30 days! That sounds extreme to what the rest of the world is doing. Can you go an pick up cooked food?

Are you all not on the same exposure track that Australia and the rest of the Asian Pacific area was experiencing?

Registered
John,
You are right! Xena will save us. We can also get Iolaus (Hercules's buddy) to pitch in too.;)
They will have plenty of time on their hands anyway. Film/TV production has ceased and you cannot go to the theatre (or Cinema either).

Hand sanitiser does work, but simple soap and water is just as effective, if not more. Hand sanitiser has to be at least 60% alcohol to be effective. (Some are NOT!)
Sanitiser is a good solution if you are out and about with no access to soap and water (eg Just loaded groceries into your trolley and then into your car etc)
We have been told to wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (Sing 'Happy Birthday' twice through.) and do that regularly.

Milton Fox, that's a big no to you going to pick up of prepared/cooked food. Restaurants are closed anyway, and that is not deemed as essential travel.
New Zealand is a bit better off than Australia as we closed our borders to flights from China quite early on. This was much to the frustration of the China ambassador who was all over the press saying that the NZ government was over reacting. She has gone very quiet since then!
And Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive to Covid-19 and are isolated in Australia. They are recovering well.

Day 2 of isolation in NZ. What shall I build today??

I cast the resin that I mixed yesterday into a mold and it was still a bit sticky. Normally I would leave it out in the sun as the UV is very effective at hardening it. Overcast day yesterday, and today, so my resin casting is basking under the glow of a few UV LEDs. Seems to be doing the job. Who needs sun?

Super Moderator
Soap and water are the best if you can do it often enough after encountering the public and things that have come from the public, been in the public or near enough. Hand sanitizer should be close to 70% alcohol if possible. If you need to go out, stay as far away from others as possible. At stores, this is hard. Stay at least six feet or two meters away. Avoid anyone coughing or sneezing. It may be Covid 19 or just dry air. Social distancing will help. Patronize stores that have plexiglass barriers to protect the cashiers and where the cashiers clean the belt before you put your purchases on the belt to be rung up. Use your best judgement. Don't put yourself in a place where you feel in danger. Feel good. Let's get through this together.

Super Moderator
Soap and water are the best if you can do it often enough after encountering the public and things that have come from the public, been in the public or near enough. Hand sanitizer should be close to 70% alcohol if possible. If you need to go out, stay as far away from others as possible. At stores, this is hard. Stay at least six feet or two meters away. Avoid anyone coughing or sneezing. It may be Covid 19 or just dry air. Social distancing will help. Patronize stores that have plexiglass barriers to protect the cashiers and where the cashiers clean the belt before you put your purchases on the belt to be rung up. Use your best judgement. Don't put yourself in a place where you feel in danger. Feel good. Let's get through this together.

I think % wise it is still more dangerous driving to the store and then risking a fall once inside than being exposed to the Covid 19 virus, but you know 97% of statistics are made up and no one cares about the other 8% :unsure:

Elder Statesman
Discussion Starter #30
I have a job that is "essential" , so I have to go into the city. Once there, I see all the boarded up stores, people wandering around even though they are on a "stay home" order and one is treated like a pariah that is the most distasteful. I am also sick of the phrase " the new normal", I believe if people stay at home, we can ride this out, the Spanish Flu was must worst than than this, it killed 12,000 people in my home town in 1918 in a matter of weeks, social distancing was they got it under control in three weeks. My wife is working from home while I have to be out there, so I am keeping my distance from her as much as I can for another week.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts