Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 will go down as the year of the pandemic known as COVID-19. In my neck for the woods, my wife is now working from home, I have to go into my work, but we have been briefed on hand washing and been given hand sanitizer, and living day to day of what comes next.

As usual, fear, ignorance, and poor leadership rein supreme. Hording of above mentioned hand sanitizer, toilet paper, bottled water, and bleach. Stock Market is in a free fall, and a new phrase has been coined, "social distancing".

Outside of the usual "real life" changes, where I am being affected, I was looking forward to the release of A Quiet Place Part II and No Time To Die, in the Theater. The Monster Mania Convention I had plan to attend this weekend has been postponed, the NBA, NHL, and MLB, suspended, no SPORTS!!! All that is missing are Zombies walking around.

I believe we will get past this, but I hope we learn a great lesson from this, I am convinced that this too will be traced to climate change. I just came back from the movies, went to see King Kong 1933, a film that was released during the Great Depression, a lot of people were there, and it took my mind off of what was going on now.

I know this site is not for politics, so I won't go there, but as annoying all this is, the Country is doing the right thing to keep this from spreading, and I hope in the coming months we can get ready for summer, in the time being, when I can get my hand on some Orville Redenbocker's poping corn, Walmart was out, take out some blu rays, and work on a model kit, this to shall pass.:)

·
Administrator
26,469 Posts
My favorite what where they thinking moment has been the public school systems here in Texas. Many of them were on spring break already or going to be on spring break this week - so they closed the schools to teaching for another week or two or three....

But they are continuing to serve breakfast and lunch to those students on subsidized meal plans.

One has to ask what about the Cafeteria Ladies - are they an expendable part of the population?

?

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What most of us are overlooking is, this could have been nipped in the bud last year, when the doctor in China called the alarm and was silenced. The Govenor in our neighboring state of Pennsylvania, has closed all bars and restaurants for take out only.
Last Friday, the weather was very nice, and people were out and about, in outdoor cafes and the like, now, there can't be more than 50 in a group, I am now concerned, how can they enforce this, is there a police on the way?

·
Administrator
26,469 Posts
Another of the funny moments in time for me occurred last Friday. Our Governor was outlining the protection plans being implemented and as he was talking - he coughed - directly into his open hand. The health department head guy sitting next to him looked at him like he had just watched him lick the microphone!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I'm not going to say much. The real horror here is how social media has trained people to disconnect reason and logic and live on emotion. Emotion is driving this crisis. Something like 20,000 people have died from the plain old regular flu in the past 6 months here in the USA. Covid-19 has killed maybe 6000 people worldwide. I think odds are pretty good that everything will be OK. It's not the end of the world.

And yes, take precautions. By all means stay home, wash your hands, all that. But so many things now are insane. Bars and restaurants closed but still open for take-out? How does that work?! What about the cooks and prep staff and the people at the take-out window? The pizza drivers and jimmy johns drivers and the uber eats drivers? If they choose to stay home, sorry, no restaurant.

Reason. don't give in to the emotional push that's a constant drumbeat.

I have spoken. :)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
The governor of Oregon last week banned all public gatherings of more than 250 people and just today she changed that to 25 people. The situation is changing day to day. And she's also ordered all public schools to close for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
POTUS just stated no gatherings of more than 10 people. CDC still says 50.
If one is watching the timing of the events than have recently transpired. I think that paints it's own picture & I'll say no more.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This virus is much more deadly than the flu, it's killing healthy people at a slightly higher rate than the total rate of the flu, so at this point slowing the spread is needed to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed like what is happening in Italy. It's going to make it's way through the population eventually, it's too late to stop that, the elderly are going to be hit hard by this before a vaccine is ready, hopefully slowing it down will keep enough hospital beds open for them.

Problem I see is that with these measures currently in place no one is going to want to make the call on when to end them, so we are going to be stuck like this for longer than needed.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,172 Posts
If people would just buy two weeks worth of toilet paper at a time, instead of looking like they're stocking their Apocalypse Bunker, it would certainly help. We have enough for that at home, but I'm starting to stress on being able to get another pack or two next week.

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was born in Philadelphia PA, in 1918 the the city had suffered the Spanish Flu, killed 12,000 Philadelphians, the hospitals and morgues full, so full the bodies had to be left on the streets. Last fall the city did an event to remind people of the 100th anniversary of this, with a 1918 hearse on display and free flu shots, a young man I worked with, in his 20's was making snarky comments and jokes about this. This is the same attitude these young people are taking with this, and they are the reason why cities are locked down, St. Patrick's bar crawls went on last weekend, this is where we are. Where I now live, not in Philadelphia, my local hobby shop is open, I need supplies, so I will go and support them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
See on the news kids visiting Florida for Spring Break on the beaches. And a couple got interviewed & one said: If I get the virus I do. Not gonna stop partying.

This was kinda scary to hear.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,172 Posts
See on the news kids visiting Florida for Spring Break on the beaches. And a couple got interviewed & one said: If I get the virus I do. Not gonna stop partying.

This was kinda scary to hear.
That's why young people are the best soldiers - we think we're immortal at that age.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,172 Posts
Our supermarket is opening at 6AM now for special senior hours. Unfortunately every senior in town went on day one (this morning), so it was mobbed. I wore latex gloves. Fingers crossed.

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Governor just signed a Stay at Home order. I had planned to go to my Local Hobby Shoppe Monday, that's out now. I was going to buy what I needed on line, the shipping was more than the item, I guess I have to "ride it out". Still no paper products!!!!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,172 Posts
We stocked up on enough food and TP for a month last week, but the wife is planning a trip to the markets later this week to fill in a few gaps and restock milk. I don't understand the TP hoarders at all. Society isn't gong to crash from this, it's basically another bad SARS outbreak, and that didn't cause Armageddon. Someone online figured out that for a family of 4 to use up a bulk pack of 40 rolls of TP in one month, they'd each have to poop 182 times per day. I also saw a pic on one guy buying 24 gallons of milk, of which I'm sure 20 gallons will spoil before he gets to it.

NJ is under orders to lock down too. My comics store closed yesterday, and I worry for them, 'cause I know they were barely paying the bills. I assume the hobby shop closed and I need some dullcoat, so I ordered online. No way we're going to chance the specialty market that has my favorite cookies, 'cause their aisles are only 3 feet wide and there's just NO way to avoid people there. Ordered the cookies online too, from Amazon.
I think construction companies are allowed to stay open - we're scheduled to have a fence installed tomorrow, and AFAIK they're still coming.

Somehow, my life worked out well for this disaster, because my wife and I retired in January. So I don't have to worry about missing work, and the pensions and SS money is all electronic. It's rare that anything in my life works out that well. Probably means I'll get the plague now. :p

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a company on ebay to get the paint I needed at a good price. My LHS in New Jersey had to close as well, but I wasn't going to pay 20 dollars for a can of Testors.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,172 Posts
Online hobby shops are probably a better bet than ebay (I don't know, I don't ebay). I've been getting my paint at Megahobby.com. They even deliver within a few days, no long waits!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts