Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some leftover paint from my previous Cornelius build, so I decided it was a good time to tackle the Addar repop. I remember building the original back in the 70's and it really bugged me that they got his feet/shoes wrong. Unfortunately, back then, I didn't have the skills to modify it. This time, I sculpted some proper ape footwear with Aves. This was a nice, nostalgic build of one of my favorite kits when I was a kid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The feet look great! The backs of his hands are really something also.
I enlarged pic#3 and noticed his eyes are done so well that he's watching me walk around the room....... yep, he's watching:thumbsup:

cujo.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Great blends and tones on the colours! I watched the Beneath POTA film to check on this scene, and the 'Exchange' ruin is massive in the film when Franciscus and Nova walk past it - you could use this base for figures around 1/72 scale!

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
Great blends and tones on the colours!
I concur; your subtle shading looks very natural! And those eyes--nicely done!

I'm a fan of the original films so, as much as I like these kits, I really wish I had the resources to create aftermarket heads with accurate character likenesses. And, in Cornelius' case, accurate feet.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Excellent buildup and paintwork!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
As the others have said, you've done a great job with the shading. Very natural looking.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the positive comments! I appreciate them.
As far as my shading technique, I tried something a little different this time. After I laid down all the basecoat colors with the airbrush, I rendered all the shading on the skin, clothing and stones with pastel chalks instead of paint. I normally just use the chalk on the skin areas, but I wanted to see how it would look on the folds of clothing. The chalk gives you a lot more control to place shading in the tightest little areas. I could never have that kind of control with an airbrush. Yeah, it feels like I'm "cheating" by not using paint, but I'm liking the results and it's less frustrating than using an airbrush.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
No way is it cheating mate- it's using another technique to get the result you're after.
Pastelling's one of the modellers staples. AFV, figure, and dio modellers do it all the time.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well done! You can hardly tell where the makeup ends and the actors begins. :wave:

Seriously though, sometimes this model looks like Roddy McDowall and sometime it doesn't. Yours does. :thumbsup:

Nice work on the feet.

Regards,
MattL

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Just caught your post and that is a fantastic job on your POA model. As everyone else has said, the coloring and shading on the figure and the base are excellent. I've don't have any of these but with something that outstanding I am tempted to keep an eye out on eBay.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
One of the nicest build-ups of Cornelius I've seen! Congrats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts