Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to dip my toe in the Corgi department when a good sale came up. These two were just about 3 dollars each. Now I would like to know how old they might be? I'm guessing an educated collector can tell just by looking at the box?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
My Corgi book is getting old!!! It's a great one though.
Printed 1984, and no where in it does it show those horrible wheels.

At least I've ruled out what it's not! ;)

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Really? Most Corgis I see have these "horrible" wheels. :lol:

The NBC refuse truck is a 1990 issue, I imagine the police car is similar vintage.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I know, there I go blasting my stupid opinions again! :rolleyes:

Actually, on the Buick, the casting itself came out much earlier than that...1977. A Kojack and a Taxi Cab release.

It was released agian 2wice in black & white just like this one in 1982. One was Magnumb P.I. and the other was Simon & Simon.

I'd put these releases as around the 1990 mark because of FF's good clue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
The Corgi Buick looked pretty slick the one and only time Mattel released it as a Hot Wheels - again as a police car.
Too bad they didn't keep it around, it's a nice casting from pictures I've seen. It's has that rough 70's look.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wait, what?!?!?
Mattel bought that casting from Corgi for reals???

How completely bizzare!!!!
I thrown for a loop. I wonder why on Earth they did that? It's a good casting and all, but it seems realy strange.
I'd love to know the story behind it.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Wikipedia told me that the company logo in this fashion was used between 1985 and 1994 so I just wanted to narrow it down a bit more. I have heard about the Corgi and Hot Wheels connection before on these boards. It's all Mattel, isn't it?

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
This is another casting Hot Wheels bought from Corgi which I recently acquired. The Fire Tender, which Mattel renamed "Fire Eater II". This and the Buick are the only ones I know of. I'd like to know what the others are, and what prompted Mattel to buy them.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
From what I remember Mattel did not buy the castings but leased the castings molds from Corgi for a pretty sum of money. It didn't last long as Corgi regained their castings back into there rights of ownership. I and many others remember the story being passed around from the Mattel Reps back in the day while going to the Diecast Shows that Mattel was trying to buy out Corgi but failed as they couldn't come up with a reasonable cash offer to obtain Corgi Corp with all their castings. Mattel then was in hot pursuit to try again and buy out another Corp and it was Matchbox that was in the stream of headlights to be bought out by Mattel to take them out of the competition. It worked as Matchbox sold themselves out to Mattel.

Mattel back in the day was trying to buy out every Corp so they wouldn't have competitors to deal with like MB - JL - RC - MM - Jada - 1 Badd Ride - MGA - MI & Corgi to be in all the same spotlight.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
If I remember correctly there is anothe fire truck that became a HW for one lone release, also an orange Land Rover, and a light blue Ford Tow Truck.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting which way a discussion can go sometimes. 1990 it is then. I agree, they're not too pretty but cheap enough, so I thought I give it a try.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, first of all, 1990 seems to be just the right year.

But when I look at them...

....I don't like them at all. They are very light and they have the same repulsive cheap feel to them that means I won't buy Maisto Fresh Metal or most Realtoy castings. I'm glad I only paid about 2.50 each. A lot of things are worth a try and Corgi has a decent reputation. But these two are just a big no thanks. At least now I know what to avoid.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
When Hotwheels released the Corgi castings,my Hotwheel mania was at its height.

I remember in '97,Mattel had small cases of cars from the regular 72 count cases,which they sent to supermarkets,drug stores,variety stores,etc.

We called them "China cases",as all of the cars were made in china.Most all of the cars were re booted Corgi castings.

I don't remember any of those castings in the regular assortments,only the short cases.

Also,that year,there was a 13th First Edition,a sublime green Cuda.

It was never on a proper FE card,just a regular blue card,and was only ever found in the short cases with the Corgis.

Also while I'm on those old days,you could easily open 20 or more of the same case and not find a Treasure Hunt.

They were really hard to come by,even for us hard core HW hunters.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I can help with the Regal:

The Regal is a 76-77 Regal body.
It was in the Corgi lineup from 77-80 as a Taxi.
In 1977-79 it was a white police car with a black roof.
In 1980 it was a sheriff car (black & white)
1979 to close it was a white/Black Sheriff car, as well as a black/white police car like you have. Yours is likely from 85-90.

The Regal casting was also the metro police car from Superman (blue), various Fire Chief colors, and also the Kojack car.

I don't know if we have any left in stock, but we leave the pictures up on our site, even if they are out of stock, so they can be used as reference points for collectors. So if you check our Corgi Junior section, you'll see photos of the various Regals variations we've had.

Regards,
Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts