Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in a couple of other places, but since I first asked for advice on this diorama here at HobbyTalk, I wanted to post it here, too. :)

Posted this over on Steve's board, but I thought I'd post it here too. What would happen if Trek's "Preservers" not only transplanted Native Americans to another planet, but had, millions of years earlier, transplanted some of earth's dinosaurs?

Here's a link to a few pics of my TOS shuttle meets Raptors dioramas.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bradjeast/album?.dir=/70b4&.src=ph&.tok=ph8ma6BBK8_MtW6I

It's my first attempt at a diorama. The shuttle is pretty much stock, though I did create more Trek-like instruments in Illustrator (can't see them in the pic). The decals are from an old set by Gino Dykstra.

The crewmen were my first attempt at converting military figures. They are from Dragon's 1/35 "Wounded Crewman" set. The velociraptors are from Tamiya's 1/35 raptor set (they seem to be bigger than 1/35, if you ask me). At the front of the diorama, a raptor is chasing off an oviraptor that got too close (the oviraptor is from Tamiya's "Mesozoic Creatures" 1/35 set. In the trees, near the back a curious Hypsilophodon (from the same set as the oviraptor) looks on, apparently ignored for now.

It was a fun little project, and even though it's far from perfect (and not quite done), I'm glad I did it. I'll be sending Cult better pics and a write-up soon.

Comments welcome.

Brad.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Another red shirt gone.
That is a realistic diorama. Very good painting. Looking at the raptors scare me.
For your first attempt, I think it is quite effective.

Lloyd :freak:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lloyd. Yeah, there was no question the redshirt was going to get it. The guys standing on the rock doesn't quite work right. I'm going to have to come up with something better for him. But for now it'll have to do.

Brad.

By the way, I used Archer's eyeball decals for the dino eyes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Looks good! The paint job is very nice. From his pose, the "treed" crewman looks like he should be carrying something heavy.

Did the decal sheet have Copernicus as craft 3 or was that an "editors decision"?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Four Mad Men said:
Looks good! The paint job is very nice. From his pose, the "treed" crewman looks like he should be carrying something heavy.

Did the decal sheet have Copernicus as craft 3 or was that an "editors decision"?
Yes, the fist just doesn't look right. I should have come up with something for that... Well, it's not too late. :)

The "3" for the Copernicus was found on the website "ex astris scientia". I think it's arbitrary, since we never had any canonical source for the number (as far as I know).

Brad.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Very original idea! NICE JOB! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts