Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, 2 years ago I blew my Polaris 650 and haven't really took the time to look at it. Last week I started ripping appart the cylinders and I found that I blew a head gasket and later noticed the crankcase was flooded with coolant. So I pulled the drain plugs and took most of it out then started to examine the components through the cylinder hole and couldn't find any signs of rust and the coolant wasn't discolered at all. I'm wondering what the extent of the damage can be, mainly the bearings and is there a way to clean out the crank case without splitting it. Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well collant will not compress so if I gets into the combustion chnmber during a compression stroke you could bend a rod or worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when the head gasket blew, there was a path from the coolant canal and the chamber. What I believe happened was since it was a small path the engine continued to run evaporating the coolant and the when it ran dry the resulting steam blew off the rad cap. At that point I hit that kill switch, then what i returned home I started filling it with coolant not know that true problem and that's when it started leaking into the crankcase. So the engine never ran with a cylinder full of fluid.

·
Registered
241 Posts
best you can do is put it all back together and when you put oil in it, stick some seafoam of marvel mystery oil in and run it for a little bit, then drain the oil again and stick a oil filter on there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
saving the bearings

after it's all cleaned out & put back together, before you run it, crank it over with the spark plug wires disconnected or the coils unplugged. cranking it over like this will pull fresh oil thru the system flushing out the bearings. don't over crank it or you'll burn out the starter. then it would be smart to chainge the oil again before you actually run it

--Lucky

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
bsman, luckyvision;
I think the Polaris 650 is a 2-cycle with oil injection, there is no oil in the crankcase like a 4-cycle. Have a good one. Geo

·
Banned
154 Posts
yes pour some fresh gas and flush the crank case out while you have the plug out then use 2cycle oil and pour some down the spark plug hole and roll the motor over a couple times and the oil dripping down the rod will lube the crank bearing and i believe the crank bearings are sealed but i might be wrong. dont use sea foam in your crank case b/c it will eat away the rubber seals and you will have a crank seal leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts