Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Kalamazoo Speedway. New world record run for 3/8 mile paved oval. BTW it took a dirt guy to pull this one off. 10.217 and just over 132 mph

·
Racer
3,264 Posts
That's awesome! I'd love to see that at my local track. Holland Speedway is a 3/8, but higher banked...24*!

Supermodified Time Trials @ Oswego (5/8) is about as exciting though. Chris Perley owns the track record at a 15.198, and Tim Jedrzejek got close this past Classic Friday with a 15.201. The following vid doesn't have any of those laps in it, but still, I love how at first glance it looks like fast-forward.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they run the supermods at the zoo once or twice in the season but thats it. Looks like they scoot around Oswego.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was there Saturday and watched it in person. I also witnessed Terry Sroufe (also a dirt driver) break the record at Galesburg two weeks prior. The videos don't do these record attempts justice. It's unbelievable how fast those cars go through the corners.

Videos can also be found of the other drivers going for the record that night. Bozell had it for about 5 minutes before Spalding went out and hit the 10.217. Here's the car Bozell was driving which I think was built more specifically to break the record. Spalding had only made minor changes to the same car he races on dirt every week...

Trackdog, I see you're from Coldwater. Are you going to hit up M40 in Jones this Saturday? They're having their Run What Ya Brung event that night. Some actually claim that the real 3/8 mile oval track record rests there since Kalamazoo isn't a real 3/8 mile track. Sroufe currently holds the record with a 10.485. Should be a good turnout of drivers. Watch for Jeff Ganus in the black #5 outlaw car which has about a 10 foot long wedge nose on it. He had that car at Kzoo last year for the Call of the Wild race and it's wicked looking!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Someone needs to tell those supermod guys that their wings are broken... they keep flopping around between the corners and the straights. :lol:

(and just in case you think I'm serious... I'm not)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was there Saturday and watched it in person. I also witnessed Terry Sroufe (also a dirt driver) break the record at Galesburg two weeks prior. The videos don't do these record attempts justice. It's unbelievable how fast those cars go through the corners.

Videos can also be found of the other drivers going for the record that night. Bozell had it for about 5 minutes before Spalding went out and hit the 10.217. Here's the car Bozell was driving which I think was built more specifically to break the record. Spalding had only made minor changes to the same car he races on dirt every week...

Trackdog, I see you're from Coldwater. Are you going to hit up M40 in Jones this Saturday? They're having their Run What Ya Brung event that night. Some actually claim that the real 3/8 mile oval track record rests there since Kalamazoo isn't a real 3/8 mile track. Sroufe currently holds the record with a 10.485. Should be a good turnout of drivers. Watch for Jeff Ganus in the black #5 outlaw car which has about a 10 foot long wedge nose on it. He had that car at Kzoo last year for the Call of the Wild race and it's wicked looking!
The way REAL pavement super late models should look:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
yea but a dirt LM took the record but if you look at the track in the vidio there is some speedy dry in the track so the dirt car thought it was at home

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Cool videos guys! Dirt latemodels on pavement Love It. Whats this about Kalamazoo not being a 3/8 mile? Did they change the track? I haven't been up there since the grandparents moved down here ( Florida ) back in the 90s.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Flash, I'm pretty sure the only thing they changed was putting up a wall on the inside and outside of the track. Think that was done in the late nineties. As far as I know, it's the same length. I did however see a couple of comments regarding last year's Call of the Wild video where Curt first broke Randy Sweet's record that held up for over 15 years. Here's a few of them...

"actually this isnt a new world record TERRY SROUFE set that 2yrs ago at m-40 speedway with a BLISTERING LAP OF 10:48 SEC. in a dirt late model"

"m-40 isnt a true 3/8 mile ... "

"it may not be 3/8 on the inside but its still listed as a 3/8 so therefore mr.sroufe would have the record.but it doesnt matter cause if he decides to go to kzoo nxt yr.he will destroy the TRACK record set this yr"

"woah, check out the haters!!.. Good Job Curt :)"

"i never said i hated the guy i dont even know him all i was sayin was that it wasnt the world record"

Take that for what it's worth. The debate exists outside of the internet as well. I think adding all this world record jive is the reason for it.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Normally they don't run the wings... Specials only. Honestly the only time watching the supers at the steel palace!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I NEVER want to hear anyone say sail panels are useless.... when you can flatfoot 750 HP around a track like that, it's painfully obvious what those things do to a car.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I NEVER want to hear anyone say sail panels are useless.... when you can flatfoot 750 HP around a track like that, it's painfully obvious what those things do to a car.
actuly that car has 900hp I know the guy that runs it his home track is the hartford speed way and it is 1/2 mile clay and he run at eldora alot also he told me that was the fastest he has ever run in any race car

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
actuly that car has 900hp I know the guy that runs it his home track is the hartford speed way and it is 1/2 mile clay and he run at eldora alot also he told me that was the fastest he has ever run in any race car
I was talking about the red car, although it applies to all of them... The announcer said the driver guessed the HP from 720-750 in that car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts