Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stumbled on this pic, not really searching to these... so I'm sure there are nore and better pics out there... but isn't half these cars in here used in the Racing series' from Hot Wheels and Greenlight? :freak:

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Nice, yeah I recognize about 5-6 of those cars from Hot Wheels Vintage Racing.
Check out the little green Italian in the group, ha! Is that a Lancia Fulvia?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Nice, yeah I recognize about 5-6 of those cars from Hot Wheels Vintage Racing.
Check out the little green Italian in the group, ha! Is that a Lancia Fulvia?
Looks like it. I wonder if he's actually running with the under 5 litre cars, or if he's getting lapped by them. I know older Skyline GT-Rs and BMW CSLs are sometimes competitive with the bigger cars in historic racing, but the Lancia would be even further down on power.

I see a few cars I'd really like to see HW tackle if they ever do another Vintage Racing set: the '70 Penske Javelin and a decent, correctly scaled '69 Camaro Z/28 and '70 Challenger for starters.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wish I were around back then to witness those races. Nice picture.
I think they do have exhibition races with the restored or tribute cars but getting a little off-topic it would be cool to have a races using older NASCAR chassis from like 1995 or so that are out of date for any other racing. They could re-body them with these racer bodies of the muscle car era but still allow for current safety measures plus no worry about messing up vintage machines.

Love the pic, I think I might have one or two of them in my collection from HW and GL. Would be cool to get a series back again with the cars especially a few that weren't done yet or are long discontinued.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
...getting a little off-topic it would be cool to have a races using older NASCAR chassis from like 1995 or so that are out of date for any other racing. They could re-body them with these racer bodies of the muscle car era but still allow for current safety measures plus no worry about messing up vintage machines...
Funny you mention that, awhile ago I started drafting guidelines for a hypothetical silhouette series based on likely a spec chassis (or possibly a tightly regulated, but not spec chassis) with a number of body styles being allowed:

'70 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
'71 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am
'69 Ford Mustang Boss 302
'71 AMC Javelin AMX
'68 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
'70 Plymouth Cuda AAR
'71 Dodge Challenger T/A

'72 Holden Monaro GTS HQ
'73 Ford Falcon XB
'72 Chrysler Valiant Charger

'69 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
'67 Shelby GT350
'71 Dodge Demon
'69 AMC Javelin SST

'70 Nissan Skyline GT-R C10
'73 Nissan Skyline GT-R C110
'73 Nissan Laurel C130
'73 Toyota Mark II GSS

'73 BMW 3.0CSL
'73 Mercedes-Benz SLC
'73 Ford Capri RS

Maybe even allow for:

'75 Mazda Cosmo CD (either Ford V8 powered or 13b powered)
'78 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda/Dodge Challenger/Plymouth Sapporo (either MOPAR V8 powered or Mitsubishi 4G63T powered)
'78 Ford Mustang Cobra
'79 Ford Mustang

Engines should all be production derived, and fitted with restrictor plates to ensure parity. GM LS, Mopar new Hemi, Ford Coyote and Cyclone, Toyota UZ and JZ (w/ single turbo), Nissan VH or VK and RB (w/ single turbo), BMW S85 and BMW S54 (w/ single turbo), Mercedes M113 E50. The few 6 cylinder engines can run a single turbo, the 8 and 10 cylinder engines have to run N/A, but get more displacement. If the MOPAR/Mitsubishi siblings are allowed, they'd get a turbo for their I4 and could run it stroked to 2.3 litres.

I'm not sure if a production transmission or a spec racing transmission would be preferable. Not certain if a live-axle or IRS should be mandatory. IRS would make a rear-mounted transaxle far more feasible. SCCA GT-1 and Trans-Am and V8 Supercars are the two sources I've been looking at to get an idea which would work better. V8 Supercars use a rear-mounted transaxle and IRS, Trans-Am and GT1 use a live-axle.

Overall the goal would be a fairly inexpensive series, with an emphasis on cost containment and parity, so that driver skill is the primary factor. Ideally costs should be similar to or less than SCCA GT-1 or the Dunlop V8 Supercars development series, overall the series would be similar in nature, but with a little more freedom engine-wise and with 'vintage bodywork' being mandatory. Over time the goal would be to homologate as wide of selection of body styles as possible, so long as they're all touring cars with a wheelbase of no less than 101" (maybe allowing for waivers, so the Mazda, Mustang II and Mitsubishi/MOPAR can be eligible).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts