Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always collected Hotwheels. I guess it's because I grew up with them in the 60's. I knew about Johnny Lightnings but could not justify collecting another line. That has all changed. I am HOOKED on Lightnings. Instead of worrying about how much is this worth and oh look this car is missing something so it must be valuable I can collect cars that are realistic and well made. Yes they cost more but I would rather have a few great cars than bins and bins of mediocre ones. Most Lightning collectors are not afraid to open their cars and show them off. I am not quitting Hotwheels completely. I am tracking down a lot of their 100% stuff which was very well detailed. I am glad I have found my way. Better late than never.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
geman57 said:
Yes they cost more but I would rather have a few great cars than bins and bins of mediocre ones. Most Lightning collectors are not afraid to open their cars and show them off. I am not quitting Hotwheels completely. I am tracking down a lot of their 100% stuff which was very well detailed. I am glad I have found my way. Better late than never.
Sounds like me a few years ago! :thumbsup:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
The first cars I got into as an adult were the the 100% HW and then Ertl cars. I could not believe it when I finally found JL's. Better quality then the two previous mentioned with a better selection and cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Welcome aboard! I think a lot of us still pick up the occassional HW, but the quality and appeal of JLs is hard to beat! Good luck with your collection.

Btw, what kind of cars are you into?

1up

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That is exactly what happened to me just a few months ago. I found a BWF Corvette two pack, when I stopped at TRU to look for HWs, and the rest as they say is history! JLs are so much nicer than HW. I still buy the occasional HW but I always look at the Johnnies first!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I was in that same boat in Dec. 04 and was actually getting out of collecting all together until I ran across this site and jlcollector.com .I then saw the pics of all those 71 cuda conv.`s I never knew existed and I`ve changed completely.I know have 600 quality cars in displays instead of 12-14,000 of them in containers in the attic. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also started out on HW's as a friend of mine got me into it. I switched to JL's a long time ago and now only have a very few HW's left. The rest were gone years ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1up said:
Welcome aboard! I think a lot of us still pick up the occassional HW, but the quality and appeal of JLs is hard to beat! Good luck with your collection.

Btw, what kind of cars are you into?

1up
I am into muscle cars and drag racing with a little bit of hotrodding thrown into the mix. So glad to be here.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Welcome to JL. My story is the same. I just stopped buying HW's as I got older. I had some JL's as a kid, but just outgrew the idea of collecting them as a hobby. I rediscovered them while buying HW's for my nephews for Christmas just over five years ago. The realism and detail blew me away. It reminded me too of some of the metal based cars I had as a kid and thought no one made any longer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
LKM what 100% stuff you are looking for. IMO that's the only stuff HWs DID that was worth collecting. And they stopped doing that well. Then they stopped doing it at ALL. :rolleyes:

JL has come a long way since I first paid any attention to them. I used to see about one car per case that had wheels missing or pieces that had fallen off in the blister. Now, I very rarely see a visible defect. Nice paint, accurate details, I'm not a complete convert. Yet. ;)

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
hot wheels are the things ya chop up an put back together with better parts and paint jobs ttfn johnny :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts