If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
I picked up a new tube of filler putty and a 3 pack of spreading squeegees so I could start leveling up the top and bottom of the saucer. Joining all those sections of sheet styrene and all the bracing below left a few waves in the deck, I used the smallest spreader and placed smooth coating of putty across the whole top of the upper and lower deck, then I dry sanded the areas with a sanding block and 320 grit sand paper to smooth it out both decks. http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/booker1067/Constellation/Gazer33.jpg
Lots of details have been added to the upper saucer deck the last couple of days, along with attaching the main engine housing with the photon emitters and impulse drive. Al the different shapes wee cut from sheet styrene and framed with styrene strips. At the rear of the production saucer section where the cut out is, I have seen several different configuration for this small area, one has it as a botanical garden, another as the battle bridge and yet another is just a mass of shapes like external equipment boxes. So to fill in this spot I took the second bridge from kit two and set it in this area facing backwards, later I’ll add a few more details. http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/booker1067/Constellation/gazer34.jpg
Just to let people know the Constellation is still around, and is getting final assemblly work done to the hull, adding some last minute details tring to dress it up. With all the hull problems every little detail helps.
Now that the temperature in my garage has dipped below 1000 degrees at night I have been getting some work done, pulled the Constellation out of moth balls and I’ve Primed the shell, sprayed a Satin Gray color on the sensor bands across the outer edges of the sides of the ship, around B and C deck and the what appear to be vents around the top and underside of the saucer. All these areas I masked off and have applied a second coat of White Primer, and this is how she looks sitting in the paint booth (FIG-1). http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/booker1067/Constellation/006.jpg
The engine nacelles are painted and I have temporally set two of them in place (FIG-11) http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/booker1067/Constellation/011.jpg
with any luck I hope to spend a couple of hours taking care of all the touch-up paint so tonight I can do the weathering of the hull and nacelles and spray a coat of gloss so I can apply the decals next week and close this project out.
The painting is complete, and I’ve played around with weathering the saucer and nacelles, I tried something I’s seen done on a couple of TOS nacelles making rings along the length of the nacelle. I used black, tan and orange chalk in that order to get the color combination you see (FIG-12). http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/booker1067/Constellation/012.jpg