Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Oh you Ford guys? Are those some kind of special glasses? All the worlds a "V". A Porsche "V"-12? Snort chuckle. Did Ford buy them out too and bend all the engine cases? Just funnin' Pete, I'm a retired aircooled Porsche/VW mechanic, so I'd love to see a nicely executed Ghia. Mike has a point about the GT-40, It is popular and has some classic, zoopy lines! Any new twist on an ABD (already been done) body would be cool. Something new? All the better! Dare I say do'em all. Bill

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Wingin' it !

Some type of nifty re-insertable (is that even a word?) break away device would really set it apart! A firm snap fit so it doesnt rattle but will pop off when you drill the wall or smack the floor. Is that what your talking about? I just cant think of anything right this minute. Wings have the life span like an icecream sandwich around here. As far as the pitch angle goes, how about a Harry High School wind tunnel (LOL) made from a box with a clear insert or a thrift store plexiglass aquarium, a shop vac, and an automotive smoke machine (we used for checking engine vacuum leaks, and body seal leaks) I'm sure you've seen one Pete all the good shops have them. I only bring it up because of your obvious concerns for the details. We all know what body shapes work good, more or less. A bench top wind tunnel may seem ridiculous to some, but at the velocity the modern slots produce, and the close competition; the winning edge is often in the hundredths or thousandths. Just a weird idea from a weird guy, but it would again set your design apart in yet another way. Zoopy looks are cool but slippery wins races!

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Don't Laugh, but what the heck?

Hi Pete, Over the weekend I spotted something light and nifty that might work for your wing attachment/detachment. Our youngest granddaughter had a little jumper on. The jumper had some little micro snaps to fasten it. They used to be metal back in the day, but these were plastic, delrin or the like. Very durable. There were about the size of the Smilie Icons. I thought the female end could be hidden under body, flexibly mounted with silicone. Just a small neat hole would be required to snap the wing in/through. Without pics I'm not yet sure how the male end would be mounted to the wing/strut. Got a battery yet? However I'm fairly certain it could be done unobtrusively with a quick trim to shape. Sounds strange, I know. The gang's probably laughin' their asses off (I am.), but perhaps some good can come from Lauren's poopy diaper. LOL

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Thanks Pete, It would be my pleasure, but please dont short Marty! We only live 65mi apart. Send me one of the worst culls from the first batch. No sense in ruining a collectable with R&D (ruination & destruction, LOL). I'm pretty sure Marty would post it to me if you send it with his cars as well. Wadda ya say Marty? You can also snail me at: Bill Hall, 520 E. "H" St. , Shelton WA, 98584 -Email is: [email protected]

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
McKay Odyssey Impressions

I received my shells two days ago. Plus some bonus Pinto prostock shells! Thanks Pete. Pete's "Outback" sponsored prototype is sitting on my laptop as I rattle this off. It looks fast just sittin' there. The version 1 Odyssey shell has an aggressive front profile. The front scoop that Pete agonized over turned out nicely! It also provides some necessary stiffness in the front dam area. The center hood section plunges nicely between the sweetly radiused front fenders. She's got some fine cleavage up front. LOL. An ovular canopy/cockpit area transitions up smoothly from the frontal section. It is nicely contoured and proportionally matched to the overall car. Two roof vents behind the canopy pulled down great. They are crisp and sharp. The rear roof angle is a bit sharper than the front canopy angle and tapers aerodynamically down between the rear wing supports. It finishes neatly at the rear apron which spans the rear of the body. The wrap around rear apron stiffens the rear body and transitions seamlessly forward into the curvaceous rear fenders. The wing supports are bulletproof. They are the strongest portion of the body. This is one pretty baby! Actual track tests were done with both the G-plus and 440X2. For mounting a double thickness of 3M two sided emblem tape was used. This is a gorgeous car. Before I realized it I had hypnotically run a good 50 laps day dreaming away while watching this sweetheart scoot. Then I woke up and let fly! Numerous barrel rolls and cartwheels were executed as well as the obligatory WOT straight on drywall plasters. If you've been following this thread this is the same body that Pete had broken the wing off and repaired in previous testing. It took 19 shots to finally severe the wing again! I modified the wing supports by slicing the top skin off to open a hole. Clear RTV was squeezed in from below till it prariedogged topside through the holes, the wing contact patches were roughed with 220 paper and lightly dabbed with silicone. The silicone worked nicely in that it gives you the fidget time to set the wing perfectly. The following day after curing, per Pete's previous instruction, the acrobatics continued with no ill effects to my goobered wing. The silicone, albeit a skoshe heavier than super glue or it's like, provided the needed flexibility for wing survival. Currently I'm vacillating on color schemes for my other unfinished shells. Ferrari red, deep Ford blue, maybe even a bug gut Chartreuse green. All in all a well thought out and beautifully executed design. Kudos Pete! My hats off. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to post a pic of the thrashed "Outback"? This has been a blast! Many thanks. BH

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
McKay's Odyssey

Here's a few shots of the version 1, painted and detailed by Pete, after repeated and severe bludgeoning. This body was shown no mercy. Other than a few kinks in the wing, and the subsequent fix, as well as some sticky tape damage to the internal finish, there were no ill effects. Pete, I blame 3M as their product couldnt retain the body during the mach 2 wall splats. LOL - BH

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Supra GTO

Pete do you still have the buck for that Supra GTO? That's "purty". I like curvaceous cars with a narrow waist and fat flares. After thinking about it, I'd like to see a proportionally correct version of the original IROC 911 RSR done too. Bauers 911 RS comes pretty close. Aurora's RSR looked like a batting helmet! God, I'm so old that I remember what cars looked like before "the shape of things to come" arrived! Acutely angular wedges on a horizontal plane was not something I ever considered to be automotive styling. :rolleyes: Euclidian geometry be damned, I still like compound curves. That's why I like the Odyssey. Instead of the RSR, bring on the Karmann Ghia, wingless and de-bumpered, maybe some bodacious flares and subtle rocker boxes. :p

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Here's a few of Pete's "Odyssey" bods.

These were shot with acrylic and duffed with a light clear coat to resist cracking common in waterbase paints. You'll note I like a little more skirt and left them hangin' long.

These Oddy's sit on some of Dragula's Tomy/AFX "China" chassis. Rocket fast out of the box with no mods other than a quick tire truing. As billed by Chris these babies are way tougher than the usual plastic. They took a serious pounding, and had the marshalls at Marty Bauer's sweet new Brystal track ducking for cover!

Pete's Odyssey bods are tough! These cars left the track occasionally at warp 9 with the altimeter climbing. Must be that wing! ;) More likely the idiot behind the wheel. In my defense I was intoxicated by speed. These shells bit the concrete floor hard.

The only major damage was a driver fatality to the blue version 1 shell when the cockpit disintegrated. I had painted it in the old school Ford colors to honor Pete's Ford heritage. It was my favorite, so naturally it had to die a horrible death. :cry:

The yellow and green version 2's fared interstellar travel much better, with only a wrinkled chin and a detached wing respectively. :thumbsup:

If you like slick vacuum bods the Odyssey is a beauty.

Thanks Pete. Glad to have you back!

Bill

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
It would be my pleasure Pete. How many kids need some wheels? Gimme a head count. Let's getem' hooked. :devil: I take great pleasure in corrupting future generations of slotheads. HeHeHe

Thanks for letting me play!

Bill

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Yee-hah, slot bikes and fireworks. Warms my heart. I'll get started on the chassis for the kids tonight. As always thanks for the bonus!

I agree on the thickness issue, Some guys consider lightweight shells disposable. I do not. It takes some time and effort to mask, paint, stripe and trim one correctly. When I blow one up it's a loss. So I like them a little thicker, especially around the edges.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.