Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
2,462 Posts
Pete McKay said:
We have a winner. Interesting how they use the 2001-2004 headlights turned up and sideways like that. I've seen that car before, I think we have a poster in the dealership...if so, it's now mine. :) I have decal paper so that part isn't a problem anyway, construction begins Sunday.
How much for 2 fully cut and painted?

· Banned
2,462 Posts
Pete McKay said:
Bill thanks for the testing. Please, post pics of whats left of the Outback car as well as the v.1 once you get one painted. In a couple of days my custom painted Martini/Ford racing Focus will be posted, this car is an eye opener. We had our road course event on Saturday and the new Odyssey took a first and my car took 4th. I now have orders for 6 from other racers locally. I think you hit the nail on the head about the nose being stiffer with the "cleavage" scoops. I have a way of plugging the relief holes under the body to still make the v.1 cars, but so far everyone has been happy with v.2's. I raced the car with the clear silicone holding the wing and didn't lose it the entire event even with some pretty hard shunts.

How well does it work? Well the guy who won on Saturday was running a full lap ahead of what he normally did in a two minute main. That equates to about 3 seconds in a two minute race. Call it an aerodynamic success of just plain mind games but he was very happy with the results. In a few days the International Testing should begin when they arrive in Deane's hands in England, and we'll see what he has to say as well.

I should be making more in about 2 weeks, I need to order the plastic and finish the new vacuformer. Shortly after I'll begin working on the open cockpit version. As Bill said the current cockpit is a bit egg shaped but I tried to pattern it as much after the BRUMO's car as I could. In my own testing it worked pretty well. The side scoops are very subtle as Bill said but they're more for appearance than anything else.

My whole complaint about lexan style bodies is they don't look like real race cars. I wanted this one to look like one, and I think it does. So, barring a complete trouncing from the British contingent it will not be changed. Sales will begin in early March for a couple bucks each plus shipping.
OK, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. My private life is in the crapper at the moment and although my hobby is keeping me going it is also the thing that has to slide whilst I sort out the other stuff.

As a result I have kept a couple of MK1s to paint and passed on the rest to fellow racers who I know have more time, inclination and skill. Only time will tell if they come through.

What I did manage to do was mount the painted up Mk 1 that Peter very kindly sent me on my Wizzard P3E. On sunday we had a national round with a typical UK track, 130' lap, 8 yard straight, every curve from 6'' to 18''.

The Focus did well and look truly stunning. I could lap very near to the times set with my BMW V12LMR, but I could be more consistant with the BMW, but then I would expect that of a body that is smaller and lighter.

I then switched the body onto an old P2E for some crash testing. Somebody had one of those Mattel speed Cameras and, according to that the Focus was clocked at 17-19mph at the points it left the track. The wing survived everything I could throw at it, I did lose some paint off the sides and nose but the chassis faired far worse with axles coming out every crash and eventually the magnet clip came loose and broke which ended the testing as I was not gonna risk my P3E race car.

Still, 11 crashes and the wing is OK. and three of those crashes included trips to the floor (carpet). sorry I have not done more for you Peter but thanks for sending the stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.