Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be familiar to some of you, but here is a clourized version suggesting the colour scheme I have in mind. I've finally been motivated to get off my lazy butt and make some of the alterations I've wanted to make and they'll be forthcoming. And if all works well I may have some exceptional help so stay tuned.

The idea behind this came to fruition several years ago when I thought I'd draw out my version of what I thought the TMP refit could have looked like since I thought the film version had gone too far in some respects. I wanted a design that looked more advanced yet still echoed some of those familiar lines we'd grown to appreciate over the years.

Anyways here is the beginning with hopefully more to come. There will be some significant changs coming soon particularly in regards to the nacelles which will be more of an evolutionary bridge between TOS and TMP.

·
Starship Class
11,837 Posts
Very cool! The only thing that detracts, IMHO, is the 'deflector crystal' above the impulse engines. I never really cared for that thing -- looks too alien and too fancy.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PerfesserCoffee said:
Very cool! The only thing that detracts, IMHO, is the 'deflector crystal' above the impulse engines. I never really cared for that thing -- looks too alien and too fancy.
Never fear. That deflector crystal thingy is GONE as far as I'm concerned. When I first drew this up years ago I used that because I hadn't yet thought of something better...which I since have thought of something better. I've also got the basic design of the new nacelles pretty well nailed down. It is presently a matter of getting the right telling detail as well as just the right countour I'm looking for.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my general game plan.

My first task is to nail down the new nacelle design--once thats accomplished than I'll be proceeding with tweaking the design you see at the beginning of the thread and working down and aft from the bridge. Once the look and general detail are right than it will up to FourMadMen to work his magic, and I'm sure we'll be still tweaking along the way to overcome likely unforseen glitches.

The Bridge will essentially be a white/light grey dome (that will allow a forward facing bridge without lowering it into the next deck down ;)). Affixed aft will be a docking port analogous to what was seen on the TMP design. Also, since the topmost part of the dome likeley will not be lighted as in TOS I'm envisioning a ring of light around the forward half of the dome's base. This would look somewhat like the arrangement on the TMP design yet the light isn't a spotlight but rather a visual cue showing the ships main space sensor array in operation.

The enlargening of the Deck 2 & 3 superstructure, of course, allows for greater internal volume on those levels.

The curvature of the hull at the Deck 5 level (just above the saucer's upper surface will be changed and flared outward less abruptly and thus also allow for expansion of Deck 5.

Decks 6 & 7, essentially the saucer main body extending to the outer rim, will remain much the same with a little extra surface detailing. The main difference will be the impulse assembly which will be somewhat more substantial to convey the idea of increased impulse power. The impulse fairing, while changed, will be more in keeping with TOS than TMP since I've never liked the impulse deflection crystl and what it suggests.

The contour of the lower saucer hull comprising Decks 8-11 will be altered again allowing expansion of those adjecent levels. The photorp launcers will remain in the expanded lower hull and will be somewhat more evident as to its location. This will also apply to the ship's phaser armament which will sport three banks above the saucer, three banks below and one aft bank beneath the hangar deck fantail. The lower space & planetary sensor array will also be a white/light grey dome that may be lighted or may nt and the array's operation mat be indicated by a lighted ring similar to that at the Bridge's base.

The main difference in the dorsal will be a slight recontouring and thickening in cross section as well as altered surface detail. There will be port and starboard side docking points near the lower part of the dorsal that will permit conveniant access to the majority of engineering sections as well as the main turbolift shaft through this section. The dorsal also houses many engineering maintainace and repair facilities as evidenced by fewer windows in this area.

The engineering support hull is essentially the same save some slight recontouring of the leading edge, the redrawn keel line and a slightly altered hangar deck fairing. Another docking port on both port and starboard sides also permit convenient access to many of the support hull's sections and thus facilitating stardock maintainance and repair. One of the most obvious changes in the in the support hull is the recession of the main navigational deflector into the main body of the hull and thus eliminating a potentially vulnerable weak point. The hangar deck may incorporate one way transparent doors that permit looking outward yet inhibit any view inward save for perhaps some subdued light shining from within.

Finally the most immediate alteration in the ship's appearance is the incorporation of heavier yet more graceful looking warp engine support pylons. The new pylons are affixed significantly further forwrd on the engineering hull and thus allowing for greater structural resilience. The pylons also connect further aft along the warp nacelles which also reduces structural stress.

Many of these seemingly minor alterations and upgrades will result in greater overall structural resilience as well as improved starflight perfermance and overall vessel maneuverbility. Aesthetically it conveys a more streamlined appearance that suggests great power and speed even with the ship at rest.

There will be fewer windows overall and there will not be the Christmas tree lighting effect as seen on the TMP design. The hull will be in varying tones of silver as opposed to the TMP's pearlescent white or TOS' gray.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
A completely DIFFERENT direction

sorry no pictures yet... I'm a 3D animator by trade and I've been playing with a radically differnet look... much more industrial... I'm designing what I would have liked to have seen and I'm sure it will piss off some.. an Enterprise that looks in the tight shots like the Enterprise Aircaraft carrier... with lots of exposed decks that would have had force-field-like containment... it's got the same basic form but looks much dirtier and it's got more exposed machinery and junk... I'll post pix.. but probably not for a few months as I'm booked on a job until late September.

I plan to scratch build a 1/350 to go with my Plar Light Enterprise!

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've broken the ship down into sections and as I finish each part I'll be forward those to FourMadMen to work his magic.

1. Bridge and decks 1 & 2 superstructure
2. Primary saucer hull
3. Impulse engine assembly
4. Engineering hull and dorsal
5. Warp nacelles and support pylons

The reason I've broken the ship down and am basically starting again is that over the years I came to realize that the drawings I had originally based my refit version on were not that accurate. I've since acquired far more accurate and faithful drawings of the original MJ design and thus will base the conjectural refit on those. This shouldn't have a huge impact and result in a totally different looking ship than what I originally drew, but there may be a few differences. If anything I'm hoping it will look even more as a familiar ship refit to a new configuration as opposed to a stylized version of a familiar design refit into something new. Interestingly I've overlaid my refit over the more faithful drawings and there appears to be less disparaty than when the inaccurate originals I worked from are overlaid over the better more recent drawings. Weird.

Those newer, more faithful drawings occasionally show me aspects I was not away of in the original design. For instance the nacelles are closer together than I had initially believed all these years and the support pylons to do not appear to affix to the nacelles at the logitudinal centerline that I'd always assumed but rather slightly below. I've seen two or three sets of reasonably faithful drawings that all seem to bear out these revelations.

Also the more I look at my redesign I'm seeing that I may end up with a ship that is actually slightly shorter than the original due to the new nacelle design. I don't see this a a really big deal as long as it looks right. And actually from a "real world" perspective "shorter" means better since the ship's centre of gravity will be moved forward. And my nacelles may be slightly further apart than the original's.

Here is an early sketch that has nailed down the essential design of the new nacelles although the detail will differ from what is seen here. The more detailed drawings are still in the works. As you can see the unit still has a cylindrical cross section and an amber glowing energy sink at the front. I've eschewed the faniliar end cap and ball simply because I couldn't make it look integrated well enough with the rest of the redesign. Rather I've tried to give the end a familiar angle that should at least evoke the original design. Although faint there is a character line on the lower part of the nacelle above the support pylon that is also meant to evoke the original (car designers do this sort of thing all the time :)).

I will likely pass on the familiar Starfleet pennant simply because I think it looks too busy. Instead I will likely have a grille-like cutout running the length of the nacelle and coloured dark red that will be broken about in the middle to allow for a large NCC-1701 writ on the side.

Stay tuned and comments, observations and suggestions are welcome. :)

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been awhile but I haven't forgotten. While away I've been sketching things out to get a better feel for my new engine design. Also here is a first idea for an impulse assembly that is more TOS than TMP like as well as a similarly minded A/B deck superstructure.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Seeing it all put together like that I see three things:

1) It looks VERY nice.
2) I like the impulse deck
3) The nacelles could stand some extra detail

Can't wait to see her in 3D! Oh wait, that's me.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There'll be more detail in just the right amount as I get the look I want just right, which I feel I've done. I'm also basing this on the idea that the original TOS filming miniature was a more credible 1/96 scale and thus 1080' long. That is essentially a nitpick and not a heavily influencing factor in the ship's overall look.

·
Starship Class
11,837 Posts
Great looking impulse deck. Your drawings are very TOSy looking!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts