Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, sometime late in 2007 or early 2008 I purchased a 2007 Matchbox 5 Pack No.14 Mountain Heroes for one of my five toy car loving nephews.

After close examination I fell in love with the 1999 Park Ranger Chevy Silverado and the Red National Parks Fire Brigade H3 Hummer so I ended up keeping it. :D

On a recent trip to Melbourne, Victoria, I spotted this same 5 pack at a newsagent at the Sydney Airport Domestic Terminal. Normally they sell for as cheap as AU$10.95. This was AU$19.95! I thought "I'm not paying that sort of money for just 2 cars from a 5 pack!" So I didn't buy it.

I was wrong.

Two days after returning to Sydney I decided to go back to Sydney Airport's domestic terminal to get the last remaining set in Sydney.

I had to park my car, go through the metal detectors and search a bloody massive airport to relocate this newsagent.

I finally found it & it was still there! :thumbsup:

Only problem was I couldn't remember where I bloody parked the car! :D

I think by the time I found the old grey Ford the parking fee was AU$30.00!

So AU$19.95 for the 5 pack plus AU$30.00 for parking equals AU$49.95 for 2 Matchbox cars!

You know what? In the end it was worth it! :p

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I couldn't come close to that story. And after all, at least nobody hit your car while it was in airport parking...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have spent almost $200 twice each year for the past 6 years primarily to attend 2 toyfairs overseas, unsure whether there will be anything I really want but enjoying the whole trip anyway.....

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
No real sacrifice, yet. I've just switched to MBX from HW, I'm not sure what to collect. I know I'm more interested in the vintage stuff, so I'm looking at spending some serious $$$ and time for some nice examples.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i think the old hw treasure hunt extreme thing burned me out. now if something is there cool. if not . no big deal. i make no everyday trip to the store anymore. unless i need something then i hit the pegs first. then find what i came in for after.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I was held up with my two buddies coming back from a Toronto toy show with a car full of collectibles. About an hour or so while the border patrol searched the car. We all had to state how much our "collectibles" were worth. Yes, I would do it again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was eyeing up a Redlines Amx Javelin at a Flea Market in my area about 2 years ago, it was locked in a glass display, with a price tag of $79 on it....usually I get a deal from him buying regular HW & MB's for that price, he told me he had a JL blister of a white one, for $5 but I wanted the Hotwheels...so I bit the bullet

·
Registered
306 Posts
As a collector of the old stuff I can't always get what I want (Rolling Stones :cool:)

But now and then I come across some of the more expensive items that I can't live without :rolleyes: When I buy over my limit, I sometimes have to go several months without getting additions to my collection, but it's worth it.

My most expensive purchase was a mid 60s dealer display for the 1-75 range.

I still love this display and it brings me joy on a daily basis to own it!

Karl-E. Denmark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts