Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Moebius B9 Robot 1:24
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting on a second build of the little Moebius 1:24 Robot B9. This time planning to use the paragrafix PE/decal set and possibly include some LED's or FibreOptics. I have never added electronics to a kit so looking forward to the challenge. Think a trip to my local JayCar (similar to US Radio Shack) may help with this.

Have ordered the Paragrafix PE/Decal set from CultTVman early January awaiting it. Being in Australia looks like it may take a while so this maybe a slow build. Trying to work out things I can do before it arrives. Will probably work on prepping parts based on the online instructions. Will also teach myself how to use my new airbrush.

I previously built the same model as a practice to learn how to paint and build (previous model was a spitfire which was the first model I have built in 30 years or so). Planning that this new rebuild will also give me an opportunity to learn airbrushing, electronics, decal placement and PE.

Below are a few pics of my first build. Some of the colours are incorrect and there are way too many paint strokes (use the paint neat and did not dilute).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stage 1: Cleanup and prep
So far I have removed all parts from the sprue and washed them in warm soapy water. Rinsed the soap off in clean water and then placed outside to dry. Slowly going through each part cleaning the leftover excess sprue.

All clear parts have been removed from the sprue and dipped in pledge/future. Worried that they have a yellow tint to them just as the pledge does. Grrrr!!! Below the parts are just drying off in a box with a shower cap over the top to prevent dust. Will leave and examine in 24 hours. Thinking that I may have to use soapy water possibly to remove the tint if it is still there. Sadly noticed whilst cleaning up the crinkled round collar part I had split the plastic around the bit where it joins the sprue. Hope this will not be too noticeable in the final build.

Glued the bottom part of B9 together. Will go through and attempt to sand back the join. Hoping I can do this particularly round the raised up/down middle rubber part. Did not attempt sanding too much in the previous build.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stage 1 cont: Clean up and prep

An issue with this kit is that B9's neck base has a hole in one side to put its ears (protruding red and yellow oval bits) and not on the other side. It has a protruding piece of sprue. In my first build I drilled the hole with a large drill bit and made a small mess of it. This time I have managed to source a smaller drill bit 1mm and drilled a much better hole. You can see I still need to clean up the edges of the hole along with improving my drill placement skills.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stage 1 cont - sanding

Just sanding back a little on B9's legs using sandpaper and one of my Dad's medical instruments. One end I use for applying (small amounts of) glue and the other for major filing/sanding.

The file fits perfectly between the grooves and bending the sand paper to form a edge allows easy sanding. Hoping the seam line itself will completly disapear once I put a primer down. Wait and see

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on Clear parts

Just looked on the clear parts and wiped them down with a tissue. All the yellow tint has gone and now I have some very clear glossy parts. Very happy with the pledge, just need to remember to wipe the excess off after 24 hours.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lighting circuit

Picked up from the local Jaycar today some components for the lighting. Not too sure how they will fit into B9. Have not played with this sort of thing for a while. Have never used a bread board. or a soldering iron (not below). Lucky I found a decent shop assistant who helped pick all that I needed. Plan to have B9's chest flash using the red LED and the clear light brighten its buttons. Also have a push button switch.

After a little fiddling around on the breadboard worked out that I needed a parallel circuit in order to ensure that there was even power for all the LED's. Next step once I have more of B9 built will be to work out how to solder and place all of this inside B9 and the black base above (will probably paint and make it look like wood somehow).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Airbrushing and waiting...

I just used my airbrush for the first time (a Sparmax Max-3). Wow, did not realise how complex using it is. Will need to spend a bit of time practicing on it before I do a initial primer on B9. Onwards and Upwards. Lucky I still have plenty of time to go till I can really get into the full on building of B9 as I am still waiting for the Paragrafix Decal/PE parts to come from CultTV. It has been only 2.5 weeks since I placed the order.

Plan to shave off B9's Torso Hooks to replace them with the Paragrafix PE parts. Will do this tomorrow night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removing B9's Torso Hooks and dry fit with a problem

As there are more accurate replacement parts for B9's Torso Hooks (yellow above) within the Paragrafix PE set I removed the original ones. The replacements have actual hook holes in them. I used all of the above except the chisel blade.

Tosrso hooks removed with a tiny saw and a little knifing along with a bit of sandpapering. I may have lost a little of the roundness to the edge. No biggie will fix with some putty once I glue the back half of the torso on on.

Also did a dry fit of the whole of B9 to ensure everything looks right and nothing is missing. Not all parts have been placed in the above. Still need to smooth out the Claws.

All fitted well except the the collar and Torso which was a problem in the first B9 I built. Will need to remove the top of the torso so that the collar can sit flush. If you look closely below you can see where the break on the collar is in the middle just above the indent on the of the torso.

Still waiting for the Paragrafix Decal/PE set to come. Next steps I can do whilst waiting will involve:
  • remove the top of the torso so that the collar sits flush
  • improve my airbrush work

Not sure what else I can do. Anybody got any suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back at work on B9 now. Have just smoothed down the side panels in the tread section all ready to apply the replacement photoetch. Using the tools in the photo I was able to get a extremly smooth surface. Had no trouble cutting the photoetch out of its sprue (cut with my chisel blade on a glass plate).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight I glued on my first piece of photo etch. Used Zap-a-gap brush on. A little scary as I was worried I may end up gluing my finger to the model. I also noticed that the edge of the photo etch was a little too proud for my liking. I shaved it down using some 240 and 600 sand paper. Hoping that the edge will disapear once I put a coat of primer on the model.

Managed to get my hands on a bottle of Mirco Kristal Klear that will be used to create the see through buttons on torso of B9. Tested it out on some rubbish plastic

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over the past weekend found a little bit of time to airbrush a neutral grey primer over the majority of the robot. First time airbrushing photo etch. Think it turned out well. Did have a little incident with the airbrush in that I ended up pulling the whole thing a part and not having any idea on how to put the trigger back together. Eventually got it working and all good. I need to also look at getting better lighting into my spray booth. Very hard to see where you have sprayed the grey primer on when you base plastic is grey already.

All so managed to squeeze in a little red paint on B9's claws and ear.

Very slow progress but that is what you get when you have to work full time. Wish I had more time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Removed the masking tape from around the red parts. Decided to paint the yellow bits without any masking or priming to see how the yellow would go with the PE. All seems go. Only did one layer straight from my wet pallet. Happy. Also masked out some of the lower chrome bits allowing me to paint the rubber bits and B9's arm's. The above only shows the first layer of paint. Using Valejo tire black. Will probably use about 5 layers to get a nice even look.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm looking forward to more- I have the kit and PE on order, and want to find out more about the colors you are using! TIA for any help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Apologies been a bit slow on the "updating the forum part" of this build. Had quit a busy month with work and have only just started to slow down. Still had time to sneak in a little modelling so the following update is going to be quite long.

More masking work to keep the chrome paint off the black rubber. Also used a little of the Vallejo Liquid mask.. Painted this and then slowly painted the other chrome bits. No need to paint the base as I will be mounting this B9 onto a plinth.

After painting the chrome I masked the base part to work on the black tires. More liquid masking also. There was slight bleeding with the masking and I had to touch all up using a fine brush.

Glued the little plastic bits into the torso using Micro Kristal Klear. Note the black dot indicating the front. This will be replaced with a PE panel here. Painted these plastic bits with Vallejo Orange Rust just as I had in my original model. Makes the torso look a little more interesting and provides a nice contrast.

Painted some of the other PE parts. 1 & 6 was painted using a mixture of Vallejo Chrome, Ferrari red and yellow. PE parts 2 and 3 were painted with black and tire black. 10 & 13 were painted with Chrome and a slight black wash.

Removed PE 2 and applied the decal to it. Think I got it into the right position. Found this decal very difficult to apply. Instead of having the sides black/grey I ended up painting them chrome to hopefully bring out extra detail. Still not 100% sure weather this looks better recessed so far or just putting one of the orange bits in. Still this is what the instructions say so I followed them. Note the pencil marks in the torso part. These are there so that I have the center marked for drilling a hole for cables to go through.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Added Kristal Klear buttons to PE 6. Decided not to use the decals for this part. Painted from the backside each one of the buttons. Happy with the result although the picture above makes it look far more messy than it really is. Glued PE6 into the middle torso. Allso added the PE 10 &13 buttons on top of freshly smoothed surfaces.

Drilled a hole in the base for the wires to a internal globe. Used files and a pin vice

Did a dry fit to see how everything was fitting and to test the light inside

Did some lighting tests to see that all was working well. Though I would try a red flashing globe also to see how it went. Not well. Finished B9 will have a white light. Note that the top plastic clear part is clear here. Decided to make this orange as I had in my original build giving it a bit more contrast and life.

Painted the upper torso clear bit in orange rust. Had to do 2 coats as the first just seemed to be too thin.

Added the silver strip decal to the triangle head part (66). Had a lot of troubles these decals on. In the end painted the edges with chrome. No photos, sorry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Removed PE 1 and 6 and placed them into the dome in the suggested places. Glued the dome together Note that the bottom knob on part 63 has been removed. No need for it. Plan to paint this part silver in order created more reflective light as this sits above the light bulb in the model.

Glued the 2 parts of the upper torso together and noticed the really horible seem. This was an issue that I was not happy with in my original build. Using Perfect Plastic putty I was able to smooth over and clean up the seem. Painting over the putty and you can not see the seem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts