Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to start a community build with the same kit being done by many to show and share?

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I'll second that as long as it is a kit I either want to do or have in my stash, which means I want to do it. Not trying to be a bully but that would decide it for me.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
One vote for the Moebius Monster and Bride. I never get tired of looking at builtups of that beautiful sculpt.
That would be one I'd be up for. I have the kit in my stash and it could go on the bench for this group build if everyone ends up agreeing on it. How long do we take to decide?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lets give it til Friday and see who else wants in and if this kit is a good choice.
I have this kit in my stash too...but not many folks have replied either way.

MMM

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
I am a horror figure modeler, but I haven't got this one. What about a kit that's been out for awhile and might be more likely to be in peoples' stashes? One of the Round 2 repops, the Ghost of Castel-Mare, Broadway Dracula or something. Of course, if everybody else is dead (pun intended) set on the Monster & Bride, I'll try to get one.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am a horror figure modeler, ...., the Ghost of Castel-Mare,
The Ghost of C-M is on my bench right now so it would get my vote for a community event. I'm savoring the build and don't wanna rush it though. How much time do we get to finish? Weeks? Month(s)?

Regards,
MattL

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
I'd be down for the Ghost, Broadway Dracula, or the Bride of Frank...

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have all 3 in my stash so I'm good with any of them.

As far as how much time?...It's not a contest so...I'm not sure how a community build is supposed to work.:freak:

I think the only rule would be to not show one you may have already built from your shelf but actually build one and show progress shots along the way.

MMM

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Well I would have to select only the Bride from those three as I have done both of the others. I sold the Dracula on eBay but that was because I wanted to replace it with the Dracula and Victim this fall and I didn't need both. So if you decide to make it the Bride I will be in.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Guys,

This community build doesn't have to be limited to any of the model kits I mentioned. As far as recent reissues are concerned, I do have the Broadway Dracula in my stash, but could go with Monster Scenes, Haunted Glo-Heads or one of the Dark Shadows repops just as easily. Maybe we should do a poll or something and see what's most popular?

Dead(pun intended, again)line? Labor Day is coming up; if we can decide on a kit by then, what if we end the build on New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day - something like that? It'd have the virtue of being easy to remember. :hat:

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Mark's idea of a poll is an excellent one. BTW, Mark, received my Frankie Monday...primered and ready for the basecoat!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Does it have to be a figure kit, and when would the group build begin??? Would folks have say about a week to go find and purchas the required kit???

·
Curmudgeon
6,601 Posts
On one of the other modeling forums I frequent they're doing what they call the "Simple Times Group Build". Essentially, you can choose any kit as long as it a) started you off in this hobby, or b) is a kit you have fond memories of building as a kid. You're allowed to build your kit of choice out-of-the-box, super detailed with aftermarket parts and such, or anywhere in between (even paint and/or seamwork are optional). For example, one of the members is building the MPC R2-D2 kit, and doing a bit of accurizing in the process.

The only other requirement there is that participating members must start an in-progress thread of their builds; I don't know whether anyone here has the spare time or desire to take it that far.

Just a suggestion, or perhaps something to consider for a future community build; I don't want to hijack MMM's idea.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We can certainly decide by Labor Day and yes...we can make a "dead" line (hehehe) to be done...by 12/31/12.

I wanted to keep it to figures...which could mean super hero/villian or monster or knight or POTA...I didn't want this to be sci-fi vehicle as there is a forum specific to that genre.

Let's decide on what kits to put in the poll and then vote...

I personally think a community build should have everyone involved doing a themed or same kit.

I was just out getting my morning coffee and had this idea...

What if...we all built a kit (either OOB or customized) sculpted by the same guy...ie Joe Laudati...he sculpted both styrene and resin kits.
He just published a great book called "Pushing Clay" that has many examples of his work!

You can choose any of the kits sculpted by him (there are a lot still available by him today) and this way you could do super hero (Green Lantern) or (Black Widow) in styrene if you want to.

It also would allow the resin guys to join in on the fun....he did Ray Harryhausen kits,king kong kits, girl kits etc...

It may even attract some from the Clubhouse BB to join the fun!

Whatta ya think of that idea?

My head hurts thinking this stuff up this early in the am. Thank goodness for WAWA coffee here in the east!

MMM

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
I'd feel too much pressure and it would take all the fun out of it. But I'll watch with interest.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Love the idea of everyone starting with the same kit and doing whatever they see fit with it. I've been involved in these types of builds and find they work best if the kit is a very cheap kit. This way the cost of admission isn't prohibative.

Might I suggest one of the new Doctor Deadly's Monster Scenes kits.

They are inexpensive and simple little kits. The skeleton especially might be a great kit to start with since it can be cut up and repositioned as Yasutoshi has demonstrated here:

If you folks are interested I could talk with Dencomm about a possible Hobby Talk discount on the kits to sweaten the deal.

Tory

1 - 20 of 40 Posts