Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just a quick post about the lack of comments on this forum?.. I have noticed over the past few months the lack of people commenting on new threads?... i myself have posted three new threads over the past month and got less than 5 comments, other threads have recieved non!... is it that time of year.. or are less and less people comming onto here??...

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I agree that comments seem to be on the wane but it's not just this site.
I visit a half dozen or so sites fairly frequently and the average number of comments, and their quality, seems to have diminished.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Seems like it always slows down here once summer starts in the northern hemisphere.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. People were normal one day, posting as they always did, then the next day they show up, still posting, but they're somehow...different. There's no emotion. None. Just the pretense of it. The words, the gestures, the tone of voice, everything else is the same, but not the feeling.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
A lot of people have gone to Facebook.
I'm only home 2 days out of the week now and have been for the past year...limiting my time here...
Denis

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
I have noticed the same thing... could very well be that all the other sites have diminished the traffic here.

- Denis

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I wonder if some of the bad things that happened earlier in the year, like Cult getting banned temporarily, has had an effect on some of the regulars? It does seem like the responses have dropped in quantity. I think the things here though are better for "real" modelers than places like FB and such. Certainly though on FB you get comments on your builds from people who would never be on here so there is more traffic on a site like FB. However the comments at sites like FB are simply pats on the back and nothing much technical or specific.

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
No social media for me! - - I waste too much time on these forums as it is. And now that the weather's gotten better, Mrs. McG has got me busy here at the Chateau deBris, dredging the moat, oiling the portcullis, etc. Plus, unlike a lot of modelers, I do most of my building over the summer months. That way I'll be ready for the the fall IPMS Region 4 model contests.

So I'm sorry not to have posted more comments but, on the other hand, I frankly can't imagine why anybody would miss 'em. :confused:

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Personaly, I have become a part time visitor. I spend almost all my time at Finescale and The Clubhouse,....less drama...more modeling! Spend a lot of time on Frank's Moebius page on Facebook too. Can't say I miss this site at all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It happens every summer on every forum I've been a part of. People are doing other things. Outside things. Oiling their...port...umm...things. Sure, there's always some drama queen BS going on and people leave or pretend to leave over that but that is everywhere too. If you're smart, you just ignore them.

As long as outright trolling is policed and you have a decent amount of actual hobby activity, the rest will fall into place. The magnitude of the work on any board will ebb and flow as will the volume of traffic.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
I'm not too proud to say I'm still learning from you guys. So I may be on some long lost Tropical Island, sipping Mojito's,.......but I'll drop in every once in a while, just to prove Satan's not dead yet !:D

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
..."oiling the portcullis", indeed!
Well, I have to oil it, CeeDub. Otherwise, when I loosen the rope the portcullis just hangs there, like the rock pile that Wile E. Coyote tried to drop on the Road Runner. It happened last summer, in fact; there I was, jerking on the rope - when suddenly...

I didn't even have time to pull out my little "IN HEAVEN'S NAME, WHAT AM I DOING??!?" sign before there was this skull-shattering CLANG!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I still look in as often as I can to see what is going on in the hobby.Yes, the summer brings on more work outside but with all the great kits coming out its hard to stay away.I can remember the old days when there was nothing new in styrene coming out and I thought the hobby was dead.There are great things ahead,keep the faith!:thumbsup:

·
Elder Statesman
1,909 Posts
One reason to limit posts, on too many occasions threads had to be shut down due to incivility. Two times this came to mind, one on the 2009 J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie. But the worst, was about three months ago on a thread about airbrushing. People were attacked for sharing their(asked) opinions about airbrushing, this turned me off, I am careful about what I comment on.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I hadn't noticed it becoming any worse recently, Ian, it's always been a bit hit-and-miss as to whether your carefully-built model, over which you slaved for months, and on which you stripped the paint off twice before you were satisfied, gets more than three responses.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts