Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed designing the Supplemental Photoetch Set for Polar Lights' upcoming 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise. Since their PE set already includes grills for the warp engines and pylons, my set does not. Instead, it's concentrating on the shuttlecraft hangar and bridge.
For the shuttlecraft hangar, I've included grillwork for the air handling vents in the ceiling; lighting "masks" for the windows, control room, ceiling, and the fantail lights; a rolling style door insert for the main rectangular door on the forward bulkhead, as well as figures in two different scales. The people are in two scales (1/350 and 3/4 of that size) because the hangar is actually only 3/4 the size of the one shown on TV due to the TARDIS affect - you can either choose to use "full sized" figures, or ones scaled to the interior. (Part 8 fits under the dome at the rear of the ship to look like a small control console.)

The bridge includes lighting masks for the upper display panels, control consoles, and main viewer, as well as railings - options are provided for both the first pilot and series ... including decals.

In addition, strips fit into the recessed areas of the bussard collectors to mask them so you don't have to add hundreds of layers of paint there.
Backlight transparency film "shadowcasters" are included that can be placed behind windows to give an appearance of depth.
This set will sell for $29.99 and will be shipping simultaneously with the kit. Click Here for more info and preordering.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Beautiful work. This will easily be a must-buy for everyone. Congrats!

·
Banned
718 Posts
Very nice, Paul...

I'm not 100% sure I recognize a few parts there... in particular, parts #2, #3, and #21. Are those all related to the hangar lighting?

I was sort of hoping to have TOS style chairs as part of this... small bits with a single bend in it (to put the back 90 degrees from the seat). Oh, well... guess I'll have to scratch build some of those. Not a big deal, but something to consider for the future.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very nice, Paul...

I'm not 100% sure I recognize a few parts there... in particular, parts #2, #3, and #21. Are those all related to the hangar lighting?

I was sort of hoping to have TOS style chairs as part of this... small bits with a single bend in it (to put the back 90 degrees from the seat). Oh, well... guess I'll have to scratch build some of those. Not a big deal, but something to consider for the future.
Possibly that means they could be in the official PE set... since Paul's set cannot have items that the official one has.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Getting the box in the mail to start work the official PE set was like being a 6 year old at Christmas - I cleared my desk and spread all of the sprues on it while rubbing my hands together. :D

... I'm not 100% sure I recognize a few parts there... in particular, parts #2, #3, and #21. Are those all related to the hangar lighting? ...
Iain's got #s 2 and 3 right - 2 is the railing for the first pilot bridge, while 3 is for the series. #s 21 are slats to go in the slots of the bussard collectors.

... I was sort of hoping to have TOS style chairs as part of this... small bits with a single bend in it (to put the back 90 degrees from the seat). ...
The chairs already have backs - it'll be almost impossible to paint the difference between the backs, seats and bases, but with time, patience and a #0000000000 brush, you could do it :wave:

(I'd been planning on doing the gooseneck viewers, but they ended up being just WAY too small.)

P.S. You might notice that the bridge consoles look backwards - they're actually not. I put the fold lines on the back side and I like to have as much detail as possible on the front face of the etch so I reversed them.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Hey, waitaminute... you have two different things identified as "21." There are the "slats" at the bottom, but there's another "21" higher, which seems likely to be the ceiling of the hangar deck.

The "21" I'm talking about is to the left of the observation gallery windows.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, waitaminute... you have two different things identified as "21." ...
No I don't ... at least not now that it's been fixed :D

Thanks for catching that - I updated it on the production artwork as well. :wave:

So now, to clarify a bit more ... what's NOW the sole item 21 is the ceiling for the shuttle bay (to block light) and items 24 are the slats for the Bussard collectors.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Trek & Fernando!

Iain - I just realized I hadn't responded to your "I'm not a Star Trek fan, but ..." statement. Get the ship! Your mad skills can do cool stuff with something so large.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yeah, Paul, you pulled a slick Willie didn't you? I was about to tell CLBrown he needed to go see the eye Dr. I almost needed to go myself after trying to find 'two' 21s!! :freak:

HAL9001-

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't seem to get the preorder link to work on your site Paul.
All I get is a blank page.:confused:
Hi Jim,

It should open up an email form in whatever your email program is. You might be encountering a problem, if you use web-based email - if this is the case, you can send an email request to [email protected]. Other than your PayPal email address, the only other information I need at this time is whether you live in Massachusets to determine if I need to charge sales tax.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Paul,

What's the figure in the Shadow Casters sheet doing with it's arm extended? Is it so you could splice in another figure next to him/her and he/she would have his/her arm on his/her shoulder?

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He's just gesturing, but you can do with him what you'd like. :)

There are really a lot more of them included than you'll ever use - especially considering the inclusion of the darkened and opaque windows included with the kit (great idea!). I'd forgotten about them when designing the set as my test shot only included clear ones.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts