Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried on two occassions to order a police box from comet miniatures, and each time they have lost my credit card info. Now they tell me they have no idea when the product will be in stock again and even lost my card info when I called long distance to the UK!!!!

Am I the only one who has had this problem?
I've only ordered from a couple of other companies in the UK before but never had this recurring problem with the other companies nor any domestic companies.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Wow. I've heard of folks having minor problems w/Comet in the past, but nothing quite like this, nor this recurring same issue. Usually it's either issues w/shipping and/or missing/broken parts when they receive the box and Comet then being really slow to respond. You'd think they'd want to keep your CC info if only to process your order! I mean, money is money, right?

Regardless, I've never ordered from them, so have no personal stories to pass on.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've had issues with the in the past so I don't tend to use them anymore.

Stuff like forgotten orders, taking 6 weeks to ship small items, then send the wrong thing - then not refund the postage etc. They have knowingly sent broken items when its the last one in stock.

10 years ago, I used them all the time but after a while, in fact after I saw a court case against them for fraudulent claims that they were the only distributor of a certain trek toy line, I got wise to their slightly shoddy customer service.

I've had some good stuff from Comet and its a shame that they don't pull their finger out and embrace the internet.

You go to the shop but theres not much to see cos its all boxed up, so its more of a warehouse/store than retail shop - so you think they must be mail order but when you order through the post, you get the sort of service that you would expect from a shop that generally doesn't ship stuff!

I'd be sorry to see comet go, but if they did, I wouldn't be supprised!

Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Never had a problem with them after years and years. Perhaps because they knew me personally (I used to go up there as a school kid and browse around) I always got good service. Once upon a time they used to be able to lay their hands on all sorts of rare stuff that you just couldn't find in the UK (I bought a couple of smoothies in the 90s). But e bay has rather made things redundant, and hey, I can order stuff from shops in the States and have it at my door in days....

By the way, in their defence, anything I ordered always arrived within a couple of days. Interesting to read of contrary experiences.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've looked around their stall at the IPMS show in Telford a few times and found them vastly overpriced and generally unhelpful...and on one occasion deeply offensive in front of some younger modellers...totally at odds with the vast majority of the modelling fraternity.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Nearly everything I bought from Comet, I bought in the store so I'm not qualified to comment about mail order.

Tony James has been nothing but friendly and accomodating every time I visit although I could see his rather brusque personality grating on many people! I even worked his table at Wonderfest a few years back.

bay7 said:
You go to the shop but theres not much to see cos its all boxed up, so its more of a warehouse/store than retail shop
This must have changed because the thing about Comet's shop was that they seemed to have one of everything ever made on the shelves!

No we are not related.

Jim James

·
Registered
250 Posts
I buy virtually nothing from Comet now. They used to do a good line in second hand plastic kits but now, the prices are just too high. I've never bought a resin kit from them either on the grounds that all the ones I've seen are dreadful quality. I've bought a few of the PE diecasts from them just because they had them on the stand but the prices were, how shall I put this, not as competitive as they could be. Don't think I've been to the shop for four years? I see them once a year at the IPMS at Telford.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Arronax said:
Tony James has been nothing but friendly and accomodating every time I visit although I could see his rather brusque personality grating on many people! I even worked his table at Wonderfest a few years back.

This must have changed because the thing about Comet's shop was that they seemed to have one of everything ever made on the shelves!

Jim James
Jim, fully agree.

At the end of the day he's a Londoner and it's just his jokey way of going about things. Almost motor trade kind of banter, and if customers cannot take it, well they obviously need to build up a thicker skin. He always went out of his way to help me. The shop used to be full up with superbly finished models, including some stunning figures and diaromas in cases, last time I went a couple of years back.

Once upon a time Comet was the only place you could really go to in UK for stuff. The internet has made it possible to buy at much cheaper prices from the source country. He cannot hope to be competitive when he buys stock from the US and then has to put a margin on it to turn a small profit to cover big shop overheads (rent in London is ridiculous). It must be a real struggle for them to survive. I wish them well but it will be tough times ahead.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Flux Chiller said:
He cannot hope to be competitive when he buys stock from the US and then has to put a margin on it to turn a small profit to cover big shop overheads (rent in London is ridiculous). It must be a real struggle for them to survive. I wish them well but it will be tough times ahead.
The last time I spoke to Tony (a year or two back), he was talking about moving out of London and just doing mail order. I'd miss going to the shop but remember fondly my first visit there when the shop did not exist and he operated out of the haunted basement below where the shop is now. I was given a cup of tea, allowed to explore the many small storage rooms and discover treasure.

Yes, I did say haunted.

Jim

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I ordered some Thunderbirds kits from them years ago, before I found this place. The guy on the other end of the phone line was telling everyone in the shop to shut up because he was talking to a customer in Canada!!

I found them to be incredibly friendly and if I am ever able to visit London, Comet's shop would be an absolute must to visit.

Huzz

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The worst part of this for me is that I was buying it as a present for someone. No attempted good deed goes unpunished I guess.

I finally got an answer from them and decided not to order.

They wanted $60 Fed Ex postage($72 via "standard" Royal shipping!) for a product that could not possibly cost that much to ship. I've gotten much heavier stuff shipped from England for far less.

I suspect(but can't prove) that I was quoted that high a shipping rate in order to dissuade me from ordering. Had I said yes I'd be willing to bet the less-then-a-pound box of resin would somehow never arrive.

I highly suspect that this might be the case because the particular piece I wanted(a Dr. Who callbox) seems to be a rare item.

They also had promised to be able to deliver "one of the last" ones they knew of.

Maybe they got it from their supplier and it's damaged.

It seems that not everyone has had bad experiences with them so I'll take this as an isolated incident. I won't rule out trying to do business with them in the future but when they get down to the last one or two of something in the future I'm going to slow down and be more cautious then rushed.

In the future "one or two left" will raise warning flags in my mind and be more explicit about what I'm getting and exactly when - more then it will cause me to be in a hurry.

It's probably natural that the best versions of stuff a company has gets shipped first and the lesser and lesser quality stuff goes last - especially where GK stuff is concerned.

Again, maybe they got it from their supplier and then discovered it was damaged. Maybe they think I think $60 to ship 1lb of resin is reasonable.

All I know is if I'm buying some rare resin kit from anywhere and it's one of the last, I'm going to be way more careful to make sure they actually already have it in stock, if it is in deed in stock I know exactly the condition and all the costs, 50% shipping was a bit much.

(BTWay, after deciding that 50% was a little steep I inquired about the cost of shipping a Dalek. They wanted the same $60 Fed Ex to ship a Radio Controlled Dalex!!! In this case it was more to ship the item then it cost to buy it!!!)

I'm not telling anyone to avoid ordering from these guys, but DO NOT give them blanket authority to charge you shipping and handling. If you do assuming that normal shipping rates will be charged you MAY or MAY NOT be surprised when you get your shipment.

Maybe these two items were anomalies. But if you go to order and don't have your shipping cost come up onscreen immediately email them and specify a limit.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave Hussey said:
I ordered some Thunderbirds kits from them years ago, before I found this place. The guy on the other end of the phone line was telling everyone in the shop to shut up because he was talking to a customer in Canada!!

I found them to be incredibly friendly and if I am ever able to visit London, Comet's shop would be an absolute must to visit.

Huzz
They might be great guys. I don't know, stuff happens. Maybe the people who now do the mail ordering part of the business are different.

Maybe my order was an anomalie.

It sounds like a sci-fi wonderland, at least on the retail side.

As always, though - Cavaet Emptor

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Sorry to hear about this experience, Chuck. A shame, really, as I'd heard such good things in the past about Comet Miniatures.

Anyhow, this thread has served its purpose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.