Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, We held our second race at Maple City Hobbies on 7 October 04. We tried an experiment. We ran a combined Magna-Traction/X-Traction class. We had 7 racers with 3 running MTs and 4 running XTs. It was a very competitive race. Results are: 1.Craig Y. MT 124 laps / 2.Big Daddy MT 118 laps / 3.Tim Y. XT 116 laps / 4. Mike W. MT 115 laps / 5. Randy R. XT 113 laps / 6. Dan W. XT 103 laps / 7. Allen J. XT 91 laps. Dan and Allen are our newest racers, and they posess a high degree of skill for new racers. If you breakdown the top 6 you'll find MTs ran 357 laps and XTs ran 332 laps with a difference of 25 laps. I think this will be a very competitive class. We ran on a 4X16 foot Tomy 4 lane oval with 12" and 15" radius curves. Running 18 volts I think. We are in the middle of deciding how many classes to run. :mad: We've ran from 16 different classes in the past. We want to cut it down to 4 or 6. Then we will work on a rule book. :drunk:

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
A small bunch of us were running Magna/X-tractions Friday night.
Of course I had to be really different. I ran a X-Traction chassis with an AF/X gearplate with a mean green arm. (Something I threw together as an experiment..)
Like Tjets, these cars need heavy front wheels....
We had a blast running these on a track with fairly long straights.
We will have to do it again.
Scott

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did the mean green with A/FX gearplate work out? We are allowing the axles to be replaced with original Aurora axles because we see cars that have bent ones frequently. Also slip on silicone tires.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Those of us that race in Pittsford find that the JL axles are often bent right from the box or, are easily bent, even in the slightest of crashes. Many in our group use Super II axles, Delrin hubs, and slip-on silicones. It is not only accepted, but almost encouraged.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the X-Tractions and Tuff Ones problem of bent axles come from when the cars are wired down in those plastic cases. They seem to get them too tight. We don't want to swap too many parts on the XTraction with original Aurora parts. This is a stock class. If you start swapping all the parts then you loose the format of 2 different cars. Then you end up with a third and it's a hybrid and, you're defeating the XTraction vs Magna-Traction idea of the class. We saw a problem and chose to fix it in this matter since there isn't a readily available supply of replacement parts for the XTraction yet.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
A/FX Nut said:
How did the mean green with A/FX gearplate work out?
It worked out pretty well.
The mean Greens are quicker out of the hole but the X-Traction is nearly as fast at the end of a straight... Saying that maybe mean greens should not be run...
One night Warren (Around Town Speedway) and I put in a couple hundred laps on his track, he had a Magna-Traction and I ran a X-Traction. We were just playing around but could run lap after lap within a few feet of each other. When one would finally crash the other would wait until he caught up and we would do it again.
It's a shame that the tires and axles are mostly junk on the X-tractions.
They are fun cars to drive.
Scott

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing noddaz, Me and my girl are having a house with a basement put in on the property. When we get moved in and settled I'm going to set up a track in the basement. Then I'll be able to experiment in detail with these XTractions and JL Tuff Ones. I live in southern Michigan and the hobby store I race at is 25 miles away in Goshen, Indiana. I work in Goshen so on thursdays, after work I get a bite to eat and make it to the hobby store. I can't complain too much about the drive. Moose, Ron, Chris, and Tom use to drive from Huntington, Indiana to race with us once a week. That was about 160 miles round trip for them. The track a 4 X 16 Tomy oval is mine and I'd like to get it in the new home soon. If we get the road course done soon that will make it an easy choice to move it. It is really convenient when you have a track at home.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The next time that I am going to visit my daughter and her family in Warsaw, IN I'll try to hook up with you guys.

Bob Weichbrodt
A and H Hobbies
W-S, NC

·
Registered
636 Posts
M/T tune up

I posted this in another spot but should have put it here:

"I spent some time working on an M/T last night. This car ran lap times in the 10.50-10.60 range on my track, which has a 107' lap length.
I put some threaded aluminum rear hubs on the car(with a threaded axle of course) and a pair of Super Tires, the car had an older set of AJ's silicones on it.
I then increased the pick up shoe tension on one side so it was even. This perked the car down into the high nines. I then replaced the driven gear rivet with a screw from JW's, cleaned the whole car, put some "special" motor brush springs in, and fiddled with getting the shoes flat. Oh, I also replaced the rear motor magnet, I noticed two "air gaps" in the material. I got the car down to 9.1's but couldn't get it any faster. I tried a couple of different armatures in the chassis, seeing if I could find one with more RPMs. Well, I didn't. But............I did pick out a set of magnets that I thought looked better and put those in. 8.50's became very easy to run. My best lap was an 8.42. Not bad for a 15 OHM stock arm. That works out to 12.7 feet per second. My best M/T and my best X/T are still a little faster, but it's time to upgrade those.
And..... a big box of parts came today from JW's today so I am off to go do some work!!!"

Bob Weichbrodt
A and H Hobbies
W-S, NC

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rawafx, that would be great if you could stop in. We race on Thursday evenings. I try to get there by 4:00PM EST. We start racing around 6:30 and are finnished by 8:00. The store closes at 8:00 but Ernie doesn't mind if we run over a little. If you do come up let us know so we will know when to expect you. We may even be holding a race at one of our homes on the weekend. The hobby store is called Maple City Hobbies. It is located on the southeast corner of Main Street (Indiana 15) and Lincoln Avenue (Indiana 4). The courthouse is on the northwest corner. Randall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts