Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed this pic from a forum sometime ago, (may have been here) for color reference and since i am starting PL350 #2 and doing it as the 1701 refit i am curious to know the greenish color used here??? :confused:

And yes i've read the various threads regarding Blue vs Green :)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Have you checked Mike Trice's web site? Just in case you didn't already know this he is the one who airbrushed the refit for TMP.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a quick search or two and not finding much along this topic,alot of great pics though.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
irishtrek said:
Have you checked Mike Trice's web site? Just in case you didn't already know this he is the one who airbrushed the refit for TMP.
Er... No, he didn't, that was Greg Olsen who painted the Refit model for ST:TMP. His website page w/the painting info: Olsen Art - Star Trek!

·
Registered
523 Posts
thats my refit. wish I could tell you what colors I used to mix that up but I really dont remember anymore . all I remember is that I used a bottle of flat white and put in a few drops of the green I mixed up to get the color then put some decals down over that.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
razorwyre1 said:
griff's right, it was paul olsen, and if youve read the discussions you know there isnt one set ready-made color(s) for those areas. start mixin'!
D'Oh! Yeah, Paul! And I was even perusing the site prior to hitting the SEND button, too! Not sure why I typed Greg in.... :eek:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Paul said he used Floquil railroad paints, he said he didn't mix any colors, but I find that hard to believe because there is no color that is even close in the Floquil Railroad lineup. Anyway, I would get a floquil green color and mix it with a flat white like Cougar184, that is probably what I am going to do when I start my refit this summer.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Remember, tho, that Mr. Olsen painted that model almost 30 years ago now. Paint lines change occasionally, w/some companies phasing out colors they don't feel are doing well. As such, it's possible that Floquil had that exact shade of green in 1978/79.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now Paul's site i have read and may have bookmarked,...Cougar184
would like to see the final finished product, looks very good... white and a couple of different shades of green i have guess i'll start mixin' :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have some options I will post here in alittle bit. Jeff your are 100 % right, they probably knocked it off the list...after all it was a long time ago. :rolleyes: because you just can't find it.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Griffworks said:
Er... No, he didn't, that was Greg Olsen who painted the Refit model for ST:TMP. His website page w/the painting info: Olsen Art - Star Trek!
Oops, you're right. Mike Trices web sit has TOS E with about 100 close ups that show the weathering done after the last refubishment for the Smithonian.

·
Registered
523 Posts
,...Cougar184
would like to see the final finished product
you and me both brother. im in the final stages of finishing her up right now. im installing some back lit displays and I have a nice light leak to fix still but nothing to major.

have some more pics here Im really trying to get her done this weekend, been working on it for a year and a half now

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=176331

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cougar184 said:
you and me both brother. im in the final stages of finishing her up right now. im installing some back lit displays and I have a nice light leak to fix still but nothing to major.

have some more pics here Im really trying to get her done this weekend, been working on it for a year and a half now

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=176331
one word SWEET !!!! :thumbsup: almost makes me want to put mine away love the base

·
Registered
500 Posts
It has been said that the greens used on the STMotion Pitcure refit model is Pantone 580 and 579 green. A close match off the model paint rack is British "Sky" as seen on the bottoms of the Spitfire. Get a bottle of that and mix in white to lighten it for your second shade.

I'm sure John Payne knows of some RLM greens that match just as well since he is more fond of the "Jerry" luftcrafts. :rolleyes:

DLM

·
Registered
246 Posts
uh, you can't, I don't think. I may be completely wrong, but Pantone used to do markers; the colours are a kind of industry standard. You can find them in photoshop.

Agree that sky is a good starter.. Tamiya XF-21.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts