Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, :wave:

Does anyone know of any company out there besides MMI who make Viper Detailing sets? :confused: A couple of months ago MMI said they would have these sets out again "soon", but Federation Models and others say they have had trouble getting them. :cry: I'm really looking for the landing gear sets.

thanks in advance!
B

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey stowe,

Sorry you can't get the Landing Gear Set. We are trying to make a new set of molds right now, but somany other things keep getting in the way. This kit is one of the most complicated ones yet, and the molds (well, claying up for molds) is time consuming and troublesome.

We are working on getting all of our product line back up and running. But other jobs (which are paying the rent) keep getting in the way. :)

I can try and get one more set out of the excisting molds. I'll let you know how it goes.

Later...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean actual clay. It's a termed used for getting the parts ready for molding, whatever the method.

Some of the parts have master molds, and can have the rtv poured right now without the part itself. But some, the smaller parts (most of the kit) have to be clayed-up as you are ready to pour. They usually get broken or damamged in the demolding proccess. Thats the other trouble, some repairs have to be made.

Now, if any of you very talented modelers in this area what to help out... We sure could use the help. Too much work for two, not enought to PAY for a third. :( But we could trade services...

John
MMI

·
Registered
655 Posts
Have you tried the mold duplication method where you build a box around your mold half then pour a ridgid casting of it? It is sort of a mold-mold. From those you can make multiple molds or quick replacements. There are some resins formulated for this process that have darned near nill shrinkage.

I really hate creating parting lines the old fashioned way. I'm a lazy molder and just pour once and cut the parting line like the jewelers do. (This also saves me the time to wait for the second batch of silicone to cure.) Actually Smooth-on has a clear silicone that is ment for that and it isn't that much more than thier other silicones.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Cobywan.

As I said, some of the larger parts have master molds. Resin molds for silicone casting, sorta. I can make certain part's molds again and again. But, many of the molds are envelope style. The kit has 31 parts, and of that only two are two-part molds. They have the master molds. The other 29 parts, are all envelope style. Can't make a master mold for them. And many of these parts are less then 015 thick!!! :eek:

The clear RTV is great. But I find that it just doesn't have the properties I like in the other RTV I use (GI-1000 - pure gold, best stuff ever!!). If it had the same specs, I would use it. Parting lines, when working blind are SOOOOOOO much (not) fun. It's the best part of the day, to forget.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Johnnycrash,

What about your Viper cockpit and seated pilot, are they still available? BTW, is Hangar 18 Models still in business 'cause I send them an e-mail the other day and never got a reply. So if the're out of business, from who can we order your stuff in Canada?
Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Raymond??

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you.

H18 is still around.

As for the Cockpits and pilots... Trying to redo the canopy master. And we are waiting on PE for both the cockpit and figures. So, they too are temporary out of production.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Johnnycrash said:
Raymond??

Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you.

H18 is still around.

As for the Cockpits and pilots... Trying to redo the canopy master. And we are waiting on PE for both the cockpit and figures. So, they too are temporary out of production.
It would be great if you could let us know when they'll be available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts