Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night as I left an event to drive home (about 50 miles) I stopped at a TRU and a Walmart that are a bit out of my usual travels. Not much at the TRU, I think I bought a couple Boulevards. At the Wally, they have their HWs on a huge endcap and in the aisle, with a fair distance separating them. A husband and wife team were furiously combing the endcap, laying a lot of cars on the bottom shelf and on the floor to pick through them. Their cart contained numerous multiples of several different cars, probably about forty total in the cart. The one thing that jumped out at me was the three gold Hemi Cudas (already got it, it's been out around here for some time). So I walked past them without stopping and went back to the aisle selection. The guy got up and followed me back. I stepped up, saw the mix of what was there in the mainlines (the Boulevards and Hot Ones were even farther back) and pretty quickly figured the store didn't have anything I didn't already have. I started poking through a little without much expectation. The guy starts reaching in in front of me, complaining about how tightly packed everything was on the pegs, how that just takes up all of his time to go through. He finally made it hard for me to keep looking, I figured let him look if it's that important to him. All I wanted to find was a KITT and a Lil Red Express (none there). I stepped away. He dived in but kept an eye on me. Wifey was still digging furiously at the endcap and had now positioned the cart so nobody else could step up and look, and made no offer to move it so I could. I went and found the Boulevards and found some new stuff there, and even found some JLs. No MBs I didn't already have. So I wandered over to Sports for a few and came back. Now he's got some employee (might have even been a manager) and he's whining about how "he'd heard some employee there cherry picks all the good stuff like the Treasure Hunts so he can sell them" and that's "just not fair" to collectors like him. He told the employee how he buys for his nephew who never, ever takes them out of the package and when they space the pegs so closely they tend to get damaged and decreases the value of his collection. Oh and would he mind going and getting a case so he could get some Treasure Hunts out of it to make up for the alleged employee getting all the good stuff? The employee had to step away for a moment (and I don't think he was buying it either), and Wifey came over and asked if he was going to bring out a case for them (he wasn't) and get some stuff that'll sell better. If he hadn't had a cartload of multiples, and the aggressive cherry picking, and if Wifey hadn't let it slip, and if the big indoor weekend flea market two exits up the road hadn't closed about an hour-and-a-half earlier (restocking on the way home is my guess) I might have believed he was a collector, but I really just don't think so.

Jim

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I have to be honest....the "collector" is the reason I left Hot Wheels. The people took the fun out of it. I just switched to other toy cars and lived happily ever after!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I have to be honest....the "collector" is the reason I left Hot Wheels. The people took the fun out of it. I just switched to other toy cars and lived happily ever after!
+1 on this.

At one time before HW's became an investment for white trash,you could find things farily easy.Like 15 years ago.

It got progressively worse,to the point where when my son and I would go looks,there would be one of the local "collectors" guarding the pegs,giving us dirty looks because we were on his turf.

Not worth going to jail over toy cars.

I do and did it because its fun and I love cars.None of this junk will EVER be worth anything.

Plenty of other brands out there.

Mike

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Indeed. Bunch of BS. I will dig through everything at a well stocked store, but I don't pester employees or block other people. I've straightened out cars in those big blue cardboard displays before as I looked. Heck, I've cleaned up messes that appear to have been left by 'collectors' before where a lot of the same car were sitting on the shelf below the pegs. :(

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Indeed. Bunch of BS. I will dig through everything at a well stocked store, but I don't pester employees or block other people. I've straightened out cars in those big blue cardboard displays before as I looked. Heck, I've cleaned up messes that appear to have been left by 'collectors' before where a lot of the same car were sitting on the shelf below the pegs. :(
I straighten up often at my Wally after the diecast pigs have been there

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
You'd think these people would get a clue after they fail to get rich, that the vast majority of cars their rifling through aren't worth squat on the secondary market. But they just keep doing it... I guess their time and gas isn't worth much to them.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
You'd think these people would get a clue after they fail to get rich, that the vast majority of cars their rifling through aren't worth squat on the secondary market. But they just keep doing it... I guess their time and gas isn't worth much to them.
as long as you have people bending over and paying their prices it will keep going.some people have no self control and they are like crack heads looking for a rock to smoke.they will pay any price that is put in front of them so they can have it right now.

remeber the 2002 FE no matter what.i watch a guy pay 7$ to a flea market dealer for it after it just came out.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I say them have'em all.
With a few exeptions, the castings are as ugly as some of the "collectors" that buy them.

I don't mean to take the fun out of it for those who genuinely love them.
HWs do have a lot of play value and some are cool for customizing.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If I run into people like that I suddenly have to just find that ONE car, and I'll shove their car out of the way to do it. Then I leave. It's just fun to mess with them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just for some info, I work at a Wally World and I stock the toy dept. When I get the HW's they are in the box still sealed. I open the box in front of the display and put them on the fixture. NOBODY opens the box before I do so NO ONE cherry picks before they go on the shelf. I can't and won't speak for other stores (Wally World) however if caught going through items and holding them out for later purchase can get you fired. The people unloading the trucks and sorting the stock for the various dept's. don't have time to look at stuff like that. All they do is look for the dept number on the box and stack it on the proper pallet.
For those of you who are nice enough to put the HW's or other die-cast back on the pegs when you find them laying on the shelf, Thank You!! You have no idea how much time I spend cleaning up the disaster area that is the toy dept on a Friday and Saturday night.:freak:
Regards,
Brian :dude:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Just for some info, I work at a Wally World and I stock the toy dept. When I get the HW's they are in the box still sealed. I open the box in front of the display and put them on the fixture. NOBODY opens the box before I do so NO ONE cherry picks before they go on the shelf. I can't and won't speak for other stores (Wally World) however if caught going through items and holding them out for later purchase can get you fired. The people unloading the trucks and sorting the stock for the various dept's. don't have time to look at stuff like that. All they do is look for the dept number on the box and stack it on the proper pallet.
For those of you who are nice enough to put the HW's or other die-cast back on the pegs when you find them laying on the shelf, Thank You!! You have no idea how much time I spend cleaning up the disaster area that is the toy dept on a Friday and Saturday night.:freak:
Regards,
Brian :dude:

Thank you for that information Brian. I always try to make sure that I don't leave a mess. I use to work for Wally World and my girlfriend was a Assistant Manager for many years and he has scolded me a couple of times for leaving models laying around. I may not like Walmart but I try and think about those that have to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I worked at Kmart for a few years in Sporting Goods/Automotive. Holy crap the aisle of fishing lures, weights, and hooks. So many small and similar packages that are absolutely impossible to keep straight and clean. Even when rearranging and putting new stuff out for a new summer season, you were always finding buried relics from years past that were no longer being sold. :freak:

I was taught not to leave a mess, but yeah, I feel sorry for people that have to clean up retail mess from inconsiderate customers after having done it for a while myself. So I try to leave it a little neater when I'm done looking. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
If I wanted to look through the HW pegs and someone had a cart in the way of the pegs and they weren't going to move so I can look too, I would of mustered up a BIG healthy Fart and let it (((((( rippppppppp ))))))) right next to them and look right at them and smile.... The pegs would of been mine their after... LOL :p

Now that's funny their... Gittter Done

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If somebody tries to reach over me, or block me from doing my shopping, there is going to be a problem.
There used to be a small group of guys that I would run into at the larger toy shows, like Greenberg's, that would try to force their way between the table and other customers. None of them were very big, but if they had to they would practically take a running start to try and wedge you out of the way. I became an immovable object, and occasionally pushed back. It was kind of fun. :thumbsup:
However, I'm not nearly as tolerant of people like that anymore. There are just too many of them.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
@ Icediver
Brian, there have been posts made for many years about some stores having "insiders". While WalMart's policy regarding picking through incoming stock by employees can result in termination, do you feel that the "insider" can exist at some stores?
I was told that at a certain TRU in Rhode Island there is a father / son "tag team". One of them works the night crew and sets aside "stuff" in a pre-designated location in the store. The other half warms the doors and gets down to business at the opening bell. Is store security in on this, too?:freak:
I have worked retail and have done plenty of recovery. Sometimes, the mess is from little kids (I know, the parents should make them clean up but they're too busy with their I-phones and junk food purchases!). But we all see the "adult" who doesn't have any respect for what is public space. When I'm hunting, more often than not I'll do some recovery simply because it is respectful and hope to make for a more enjoyable experience for the next (real) collector who comes along.
Now for these two schmoes who asked for a fresh case, had the clerk brought one out, do any of you think they would have put the unwanted stock on the pegs in a neat and orderly fashion? (if you do, put that pipe down! :D) If the guy had tried to muscle his way in while I was shopping, I would have spoken up and asked him to wait his turn. I wouldn't let it get ugly or anything (they're just little metal cars!!) but I would have played with his mind! :devil:
Whatever happend to "personal space"?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I try to avoid rhe problem altogether. Our door warmers always get the prime stuff anyway.

So I made friends with the night crew. The door warmers show up the day the new stuff is out, just to find out I was there before it got pegged. Kinda fun, that. I don't do it often, though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts