Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good software to use to track my diecast? I have tried a couple, but they aren't very good. Has anyone made something with excel that you could email me the template? I would like to have a picture, decription, whether I have it loose or packaged. And maybe price. Not sure about that one, but if its there it would ok to leave it blank.

I need to start tracking my GL's so I can look for what I am missing.

Thanks

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm interested in this also. I have tried Diecastvillage and Diecast data express. Tried Collecters organizer deluxe a little bit recently. But I'm not satisfied with any of them fully.
Doesn't anyone make a easy to use, customizable, photo-capable, searchable, report printing (with or without pics) and website uploadable program? :laugh:

Oh yea, right now I have around 200 cars cataloged into Diecast Data Express, so right now its my choice to use.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like all those things, but don't need the website stuff. It would make things so much easier to keep track of.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
MS Excel does most or all of that. You can add text, pics, links, and program it to total quantities. I've seen many websites that use it for their downloadable databases. Here are a couple of screenshots of mine:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think MS Excel is your best bet or any kind of spreadsheet program. I've made a couple myself for diiferent parts of my collection. I plan on adding links to pics of each car. Just haven't had time to work on it. I still have to take inventory and pics. Excel is a pretty good program to use for this purpose.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I worked on something today. I would love to share it with you guys, but I do not know how to get it done on here. How would I save a screenshot to post?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my collection, though it's a bit big. It's 39 pages long and keeps track of over 9000 cars as well as other collection related info, but no pictures.
I have a second file of over 150 word processor files that I use specifically for Greenlight and Johnny Lightning. It is more of a catalog than an actual collection database.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just hit "print screen" and then just paste it into paint.
Thanks Trolley, that worked perfectly....I am so behind in the times on the computer.
Don't mind in the orange where it says series 1. It is actually series 2.

I have done this for the MCG series so far and will continue with all the series, even if I don't collect them. I don't know that you could do this for hotwheels, but right now this is perfect for my needs. I just need to get my cars out and fill up all the pages with what I have. I had envisioned something a little different when I started, but this works well enough.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
You could try posting hyperlinks of your car pictures into excel. That way they don't take up all the room on your spreadsheet.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my collection, though it's a bit big. It's 39 pages long and keeps track of over 9000 cars as well as other collection related info, but no pictures.
I have a second file of over 150 word processor files that I use specifically for Greenlight and Johnny Lightning. It is more of a catalog than an actual collection database.
I have a large collection too and I just divide the spreadsheet up into various Excel "sheets" using the tabs along the bottom. I have one for every brand for all of the major brands and then one for Misc for all of the odds and ends.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I divide my collection along auto manufacturers than have a seperate workbook for American, Japanese-Other, and European. That way I minimize the number of tabs in each workbook.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually like having the actual pictures on the page. Its not like they will ever change, plus it gives me a way to quickly see exactly what it is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Pictures on the page is nice if viewing electronically, but what if you ever decide to print the list? It would require a ton of ink and you would only get a handful of cars per page. Just a thought...

I use Excel and have a very detailed collection log. I print a complete version of the list in January and as I add cars to the appropriate worksheet within the file (MB, HW, GL, etc.) throughout the year I also copy paste the additions to an "Updates" page. The updates page can then be printed at any given time as a supplemental sheet to have a complete copy in print at any given time. It is easier to print the supplemental sheet than to reprint a ton of pages every time new cars are added. I take my list to shows, etc. to reference when hunting for variations so I like to stay current in print and in soft copy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
They have product checklist you can download and print over at the UTHC.com. Go to the Club only info link beside where it say members forums and under that you will see downloads, its pretty usefull info as it has all the cars in diff series listed and you check them off once you get them. They are good to have laying around for refrence
Here is a partial shot of what they look like

1 - 20 of 24 Posts