Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember talking about this a while back but what are some of the programs to keep track of our collections.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My brain ... When that goes ... It's time to stop collecting ... :lol:

It may be too late to save me.... :lol:
Mine's broken :drunk: It's got that CRS (can't remember sh..) virus :tongue:

On a serious note - When ever this comes up most use excel.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's broken :drunk: It's got that CRS (can't remember sh..) virus :tongue:

On a serious note - When ever this comes up most use excel.

Thats what I have been using but I was trying to put together a notebook that has the model information and picture. and I too have that CRS virus.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use MS Excel for all of my diecast...
The only real problem I have is that I tend to 'crack-em' and finding places to display them before I catalog them so it's not as accurate as I would like.

If I relied on only my brain, I'd be a drooling mess on the floor with empty packages all around. :O

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I typed mine out in Word. My display cars are in chrono order corresponding with decade i.e. 1930's, 1940's, 1950's all the way to 2012. The ones I have put away in carry cases are documented such as '73 Firebird, '75 Mustang II, etc. I print it out and place the list in a binder, so that I know what I have in my possession.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
diecastlovers.com has their own sort of database that you can add your cars to, link others to your collection ect. pretty neat site haven't started to build my collection on there.. they also have a great reference for finding out information about a car you just got or trying to find a certain model car ect. hope this helps

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
It doesn't matter how you do it, but logical categorization and sub-categorization is everything, in the way that Ricky2400 mentioned. Whether you use software to create a digital record, or make a binder with photos in it. I'm old fashioned, so I like the binder idea

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It doesn't matter how you do it, but logical categorization and sub-categorization is everything, in the way that Ricky2400 mentioned. Whether you use software to create a digital record, or make a binder with photos in it.

I'm old fashioned, so I like the binder idea
FF, I have a buddy who has over 30,000 pieces in his collection... You still think the binder idea is a good idea ????

I personally think it depends on how large your collection is and how big you want to make it to figure out what will work for you to inventory it. I can not imagine taking inventory of a 30,000 pc collection .... Talk about having no free time...... It took me 2-3 weeks just to go through what he owned. And that was cherry picking his collection to sell at the Las Vegas Super Convention.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FF, I have a buddy who has over 30,000 pieces in his collection... You still think the binder idea is a good idea ????

I personally think it depends on how large your collection is and how big you want to make it to figure out what will work for you to inventory it. I can not imagine taking inventory of a 30,000 pc collection .... Talk about having no free time...... It took me 2-3 weeks just to go through what he owned. And that was cherry picking his collection to sell at the Las Vegas Super Convention.

I currently do mine in two ways, one is in Excell and Shelly sent me a fantastic spread sheet and the other is in a binder that I am working on that I can take with me. Both are sub catagorized with hot wheels, matchbox, corgi, etc. The issue is that sometimes I don't have the binder with me and would like to buy something and end up buying duplicates and triplicates.

Thats why I am trying to come up with something that is easier and more portable that I can take with me.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
30,000 pieces would be daunting to classify, but once properly organized would not be nearly as insane to manage as it seems - even in binder form. Remember the days before computer cataloguing? You could tell a librarian the author and subject of a book, and through the use of the Dewey Decimal system, or the related Universal Decimal Classification, they could search through thousands and thousands of entries, and boom, there it is. The book you were looking for. This same classification system is used today, albeit in digital format, because it is highly logical.

Cataloguing diecast would work the same way - no matter how many it is. Broken down into divisions and sub-divisions - eras, scales, diecast makes, car makes, casting #'s, colors, etc. etc. Suddenly it's not so hard to find the record of that yellow Corgi from fifty years ago.

But it sounds as though Diablo is looking for a mobile solution he can take with him and check on the fly, like Excel right on the phone. Diablo, here is a previous thread about collector software that you might find useful!

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=353332

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
30,000 pieces would be daunting to classify, but once properly organized would not be nearly as insane to manage as it seems - even in binder form. Remember the days before computer cataloguing? You could tell a librarian the author and subject of a book, and through the use of the Dewey Decimal system, or the related Universal Decimal Classification, they could search through thousands and thousands of entries, and boom, there it is. The book you were looking for. This same classification system is used today, albeit in digital format, because it is highly logical.

Cataloguing diecast would work the same way - no matter how many it is. Broken down into divisions and sub-divisions - eras, scales, diecast makes, car makes, casting #'s, colors, etc. etc. Suddenly it's not so hard to find the record of that yellow Corgi from fifty years ago.

But it sounds as though Diablo is looking for a mobile solution he can take with him and check on the fly, like Excel right on the phone. Diablo, here is a previous thread about collector software that you might find useful!

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=353332

Your very right FF. And for me and as some others have said the biggest issue I have is half the time I crackem then loose the cards and don't get them cataloged properly and then spend a couple of days trying to get them all figured out. I have on Excel close to 720 models but I know I have a hundred or so more that I have not entered.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I use MSO Access. It was not easy for me to learn when it came to building reports/queries, etc. Now I just have to maintain it and click the right fields when adding cars.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use Appleworks Database and I've been converting them to FileMakerPro using one of their templates and modifying it to my needs. They allow photo storage as part of the record for each item. I've got my FOR SALE inventory done, but got some work to do on the collection (in excess of 127,000).

I found I need to do physical inventory because some off-maker brands and early Racing Champions cars are trashed due to metal fatigue. :(

·
Registered
779 Posts
Used a spreadsheet for a long time but since I got File Maker Pro for my business I started to use it because its customizable and can include pictures. I have been playing with a barcode scanner to enter package info to see if it will save some typing.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use Appleworks Database and I've been converting them to FileMakerPro using one of their templates and modifying it to my needs. They allow photo storage as part of the record for each item. I've got my FOR SALE inventory done, but got some work to do on the collection (in excess of 127,000).

I found I need to do physical inventory because some off-maker brands and early Racing Champions cars are trashed due to metal fatigue. :(

now that is a collection, would like to see pictures of it sometime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts