Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start collecting some of the more expensive "collector quality" aurora tjets but I'm so leary on most of the cars I see on the bay. Are there more reliable sources for collector quality tjets? I'd hate to pay a premium price only to find out its not original or has been repaired.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are some folks out there that do incredible jobs with restorations/repairs. I would think best be would be to get in touch with some of the more famous people around here. You may have to pay for a few hard learned lessons or you could pay a genuine collector a bit more with the sanity of knowing what you got.

Sort of you can pay me now or pay me later type of idea.

·
BANNED
8,262 Posts
I am a legit destroyer!
what ya got?
I can destroy it.
it will have no value what-so-ever,
but will run pretty good!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Bottom line?

Do your homework! Get a Beers bible and READ it. Study sales trends. Look for errors or mistakes.

Look for a professional or a "thorough listing" by someone who is willing to disclose EXACTLY what they are selling. They will list the pertinent information that informed buyers need to know.

Seek good macro pics that are focused, properly lit, and shot from all the important angles.

Thoroughly check their feed back and other items listed.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Go to the slot car shows and sales. Being able to pick something up and look close makes all the difference in the world. Let the sellers know what you are looking for. Many times they have things they do not think will sell so they leave it at home.

Try the for sale forum here. If you have an idea of what you want, chances are someone here has it or knows who might.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Go to the slot car shows and sales. Being able to pick something up and look close makes all the difference in the world.
I agree. There may not be a show close to you, but if you are serious go to at least one show.

I also agree with getting Bob Beers book and/or Slot Car Johnnies book.

I also agree with looking at clear pictures. If you have a question ask the seller. You can also post here. We can look at the auction and give our opinions (no shortage of that here!:wave:)

Is there a particular car (Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang,etc... you are interested in? A particular make, Chrysler, Ford, GM? A particular race series, NASCAR, Can-Am, Trans-Am, drag racing? Street cars?

Welcome to the world of slot car collecting!!

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Bob Beers

Does Bob Beers still have that show in Long Island, NY? Being in Massachussettes (sp?) that's about a couple hours drive. Would be well worth the trip.

To see all those cars might put you in a Homer Simpson drooling fit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all the good advice. I already have Bobs book but I'm not familiar with Slot Car Johnnies???

NY is usually as close as the shows get but I think its a good idea. And if any of you honest collectors decide you need to cull your collections let me know! Mainly interested in original tjets, of course the rare ones, the tuff ones and wild ones, mustangs, vws, and, and, and...:drunk:

Thanks again for the advice

Brian

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buy what you like.

If you are looking for quality original t-jets, be prepared to spend some quality dollars. I began collecting again about 1995. Since then, I have collected most of the cars that I wanted as a kid from the sixties. I would start by focusing on a small group of cars that you really want and then expand from there. This group of collectors on Hobby Talk possess a great amount of knowledge and resourcefulness. All you have to do is ask! Enjoy your search, I have.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello Brian:

I've been a collector since before i knew I was a collector. :) I have somewhere north of 2000 slot cars. No, not all nice, and not all t-jets. I know a lot of collectors that I would trust, Bob Beers, Tom Stumph, Slot Car Johnny all come to mind.

A very close friend of mine has one of the largest collections in the country. There are several other very good collectors up here in the hinterland.

Are there any cars that you are looking for specifically?

Tom

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Brian:
Are there any cars that you are looking for specifically?Tom
Hi Tom,

I guess its hard to say because I'm really just starting to look for collector quality tjets. I guess my favorites are the ones I lied most as a kid. Indy Racers, Ferrari 250 GTO, all the Wild Ones and Tuff Ones, Vdubs. Of course any Mustang and Camaro... As you can see I can go in a few directions but the good news is I have plenty of targets!

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
574 Posts
So true, plenty of targets always helps. :) I think the best thing to do is really, go to a show and have a plan. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the folks on here about values and pricing. Always glad to be of service to a fellow slot head! :):):)

Tom

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tom. I know about Bob's show every year in New York but are there any other shows in the New England area?

Brian

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The advice is good on here. You could try antique malls / shops. Flea markets could be another place. I've been going to this nearby antique shop for 11 years. Slow going for the first 9, but the last year was pretty good. 5 thunderjets. The best 3 are a 63' Convertible Thunderbird, Masarati, and a 63' Jaguar color SLATE! I paid $25.00 for it. The other 2 I paid $30.00 each. All three of them are collector quality.

The best advice I recieved was, BE PATIENT. If you get a car you just gotta have, wait for it. If you have enough cash you can get it now. But good deals do come, but you don't see them often.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Randy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Randy,

I have hit the antique malls a couple of times. Picked up some neat old Marx Indy racers in 1/32. Not Aurora but cool none the less. You've had pretty nice luck though, hope it keeps up for you.

Brian

1 - 20 of 101 Posts