Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here! Thank you for any assistance anyone could provide -

As the title points out, I have a coleman powermate 6250. It's about 5 years old but only run for about 50 hours total. I pull it out annually and fire it up, put a small load on it, let it run out of gas and put it away until really needed.

About a month ago, we experienced a power outage. While the storm was winding down, I pulled out the generator and fired it up. It ran for about an hour and then sputtered and almost cut-off. It recovered and ran for another 30 minutes and then cut-off completely. It started right away with one pull. Ran for about a half hour and did the same thing. I chalked it up to light drizzle coming in contact with the extension cords and put it away (power restored to house shortly thereafter)

I pulled it out today and checked the oil (full). Fired it up and put a small load on it. It ran for about 30 minutes and almost cut-off again. It recovered and ran for about another 20 minutes and cut-off again.

I pulled the receptacle panel off and no burnt wires. I checked the carburetor to ensure no loose bolts and everything is clean and tight.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model number PM05455007. New Gas.

Thank you again...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
First time poster here! Thank you for any assistance anyone could provide -

As the title points out, I have a coleman powermate 6250. It's about 5 years old but only run for about 50 hours total. I pull it out annually and fire it up, put a small load on it, let it run out of gas and put it away until really needed.

About a month ago, we experienced a power outage. While the storm was winding down, I pulled out the generator and fired it up. It ran for about an hour and then sputtered and almost cut-off. It recovered and ran for another 30 minutes and then cut-off completely. It started right away with one pull. Ran for about a half hour and did the same thing. I chalked it up to light drizzle coming in contact with the extension cords and put it away (power restored to house shortly thereafter)

I pulled it out today and checked the oil (full). Fired it up and put a small load on it. It ran for about 30 minutes and almost cut-off again. It recovered and ran for about another 20 minutes and cut-off again.

I pulled the receptacle panel off and no burnt wires. I checked the carburetor to ensure no loose bolts and everything is clean and tight.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model number PM05455007. New Gas.

Thank you again...
Sounds like the fuel cap may not be venting properly, loosen it and see if it runs longer. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geo!

I will try when i get home. I also spoke to coleman support (or whatever their name is now) - they suggested I pull the wire on connecting to the oil low sensor (obviously ensuring I have plenty of oil first) and see if that solves the issue (I have to find it first). I will try both tonight hopefully and report back my findings.

Thank you again....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts