Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My generator quit the other day and now it won't start. It acts like it wants to start but that's it. I checked and it's getting gas. I was wondering if maybe something got wet...should I change the spark plug? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coleman Generator

And if I replace the spark plug and that doesn't do the trick....what next? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Well you want to check for spark while you have the plug out, test it either with the spark plug or a spark tester. Check for compression, and check to see if the engine is getting fuel. Since it was running and just quit, the first thing I would check is the plug and ignition spark, if thats good then check for compression, if you have compression then check your fuel, since it was running and just quit, if its a fuel problem, it's possible you may have some water in your fuel...

·
Registered
103 Posts
remeber most generators have a low oil shut down system dont overlook the obvious
check the oil level they also can malfunction when moved or tipped or ran on an angle
good luck

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
big ed said:
remeber most generators have a low oil shut down system dont overlook the obvious
check the oil level they also can malfunction when moved or tipped or ran on an angle
good luck
Ditto.... friend of mine a long time back got a free mower that way....., had a low oil cutoff switch, added maybe a ounce of oil and it fired up and he sold it. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coleman Generator

Hey Guys! I did everything you suggested and then checked the carb. The float was sticking..so I cleaned that and it runs like a new one! Thanks again
for your help!! mb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts