Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who here collects coins?I do,I dont really have nothing valuble but I love old US coins and this is HobbyTalk where we talk about our favorite hobbies so is their anyone else??

·
Premium Member
14,361 Posts
I still have a small collection of US coins. I sold most of my coins years ago, but I still buy an old US coin from time to time.

Post a pic of your favorite gamehhh69, I'll try to dig out a favorite of mine and post a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i've got 18 rolls of the state quarters. really don't want them. all mint in bank wrapped rolls. $10.00 rolls.

also, some silver certificates, silver dollars or 2. some old pennies. a couple old 2 dollar bills.

i think the quarters are going back to the bank. don't see much future in those.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I've been collecting coins for many years. Maybe time to sell- proof and uncirculated sets from the mint since the 80's.Interested?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
i am looking to old silver dollars for my parents. my mom didnt know they were worth anything so i took them and have been researching. i think they are worth anywhere from 3$~100 depending on quality. anyone got any good sites for silver dollars? =)

i think they ranged from 1935~1980

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm currently collecting the state quarters. Have all 41 out so far, and keep a roll of each. my safe is getting full.
my one coin I collect that is my 'specialty' I guess is half dollars.
have quite a few of them, dating back to the early 19th century.
also have some pretty cool one cent stuff, including some 1819-1820 large cent pieces.
my grandpa got me started along time ago, and I guess old habits are hard to break.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
i found some of these walking liberty's ben franks and kennedys to be worth quite a pretty penny...

anyone know if i go to a reputable coin dealer, if they can "price" them out for me? im not looking to sell them, but get a better value of them...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I collect Canadian coins as my main focus, but also collect American, British, and Commonwealth. I also enjoy collecting tokens such as those used for buses and subways, bridges, amusement parks, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
RCMits said:
i am looking to old silver dollars for my parents. my mom didnt know they were worth anything so i took them and have been researching. i think they are worth anywhere from 3$~100 depending on quality. anyone got any good sites for silver dollars? =)

i think they ranged from 1935~1980
American silver dollars have been around since the 1800's. The first Canadian silver dollar was introduced in 1935 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the reign of King George V. Canada's last circulating (silver) silver dollar was in 1967.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a decent size collection of coins and currency. Most of it is pre-WWII US stuff, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, silver certicifates, mercury dimes, that kind of stuff. I have a collection weird foriegn coins, and lots of european bills from WWII.

My favorite pieces have to be my CSA (confederate states of america) bills, and the error coins.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just had some misc. coins laying around the desk so I thought I would post some photos.

This is Canada's fist silver dollar which commemorates King George V 25th anniv. as King

The 1937 25 cents was the fist year of the use of the caribou on the reverse and the fist year of King George VI on the obverse

·
Registered
183 Posts
Pre Cofederation 1 cent

War time nickel made from chromium plated steel. Instead of beads or denticles around the rim they used a Morris Code message that reads " We win when we work willingly "

·
Registered
183 Posts
Commemorative Silver Dollars

1939 commemorating the Royal Visit to Canada

1949 Commemorating Newfoundland becoming a Canadian Province. Before 1949 Newfoundland was a British Territory. Also the Obverse changed. "ET IND IMP" was removed because India had become independent from Britain and the Latin reference to the King also being the emperor of India was removed from coinage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1958 commemorating the 100th anniv. of British Columbia becoming a territory. This was also known at the time as the Death Dollar because of the placement of the raven at the top of the totem.

1964 commemorating the 100th anniv. of the talks in Charlottetown P.E.I. and at Quebec City P.Q. which will lead to Canada becoming a Dominion in 1867

1967 commemorating the 100th anniv. of Canada becoming a nation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tokens & Medallions

HYVIS Motor oils

Thurston The Magician 1928 Good Luck Token

Treasury Dept. Liberty Loans (Made from captured German Cannon)

Souvenir of New York

1 - 20 of 29 Posts