Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
26,545 Posts
I also found the eBay page. That seems to be where the customs inclusion definition came from.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8OF7z23a1XUJ:https://www.ebay.com/gds/Code-3-Diecast-Explained-/10000000003582172/g.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Code 1. This is any diecast produced by the manufacturer. It could be a mainstream toy or model, or a limited edition or ordered promotional. The important thing is that it has been produced totally by the manufacturer.

Code 2. This is any diecast that has been finished by a second party, with the knowledge and agreement of the manufacturer. Examples could be a batch of plain white or coloured models, that have had their decals added by another company, with the consent of the manufacturer. It could be castings ordered unpainted, that have been finished and presentation boxed under license. At the end of the day, two companies have been involved in the finishing process, where normally there would be one.

Code 3. This is the refinishing or alteration of a model, without the consent of the manufacturer. This description sounds almost dodgy, but Code 3 is now a recognized collectable in it's own right, and there is nothing illegal or unscrupulous in these singular alternative models. Code 3 covers a wide spectrum, and can mean simply swapping the trailers of two different articulated units, to completly changing the colour and look of a model. Basically, any model intentionally altered in appearance from it's origional manufactured look, without the consent of the afore mentioned manufacturer.

But, as the saying goes - Begs the question of - Where do resorations fit in? I know some people that do accurate factory specs, but then some others introduce new colos, wheels, etc not originally used by the factory.

:willy_nilly:

We tangented into pre production last week and kind of lost the thread content about restorations.

My individual followup would be -

1) In general, it seems that the eBay Code 1 2 and 3 catagories are what the current term useages carry today within the rest of the diecast community.

2) Is it reasonable then to put pre productions (and any other similiar product) - into Code 1, as they are produced totally by the manufacture?

3) And include restorations into Code 3 as well. Since they are done completely outside the factory?

So any more input, comments, or alternate suggestions? :lurk5:

·
Registered
674 Posts
We tangented into pre production last week and kind of lost the thread content about restorations.

My individual followup would be -

1) In general, it seems that the eBay Code 1 2 and 3 catagories are what the current term useages carry today within the rest of the diecast community.
Yes

2) Is it reasonable then to put pre productions (and any other similiar product) - into Code 1, as they are produced totally by the manufacture?
Maybe, but I'm inclined to view pre-production as outside of this loop. Reason being is that a good number of pre-pros never get produced...what would you call those? Code 0?

3) And include restorations into Code 3 as well. Since they are done completely outside the factory?
Yes

So any more input, comments, or alternate suggestions? :lurk5:
See below for pre-pro that didn't make it to market.... :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,545 Posts
I had actually considered that, but rather than try to formulate another code # for non produced pre-production promotional (and other related non produced pre-production models), it makes more sense - to me - to include them as Code 1 - factory made items. That you have already said "Yes" to, anyway and as well as. :cheers2:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I didn't say "yes," I said "(m)aybe, but I'm inclined to view pre-production as outside of this loop." And for the reasons I mentioned.

But that is part of the joy of collecting...doing your own thing. If you wish to call them Code 1, go for it. I will politely agree to disagree.

·
Administrator
26,545 Posts
You are indeed entitled to your perspective and practice, but it is not just me 'wishing' to call them code 1s, but most of the rest of the diecast community that already do.

Maybe instead of Code 0s would you consider callling them 1.0s instead? :D

:cheers2:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts