Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
Joined
·
6,621 Posts
Nahhh, your stomach acid can easily counteract anything Coca Cola can throw at you. Mythbusters did an entire episode putting all of the Coca Cola myths to the test, and busted almost all of 'em.

As far as stripping silver paint, give it a shot. The worst that can happen is you'll have to wash Coke off the parts, and you'll lose a day or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Zombie_61 is correct the Mythbusters did do a series of tests, one of them being letting coke sit with a steak for 24 to 48 hours (it didn't do to much as to tenderize it). As far as coke hurting your stomach...its busted. Why because the acid in your stomach already is very very strong and your stomach walls are lined with a very strong skin. Anyway just my 2 cents. Coke stripping the paint...I doubt it. Not trying to be negative..tell me how it goes.
 

·
Never lost for words
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
veedubb67 said:
Yes, it works on chrome plating . . . but that wasn't the question. TF wanted to know if you could use Coke to strip silver paint and this article doesn't mention Coke's paint stripping qualities.

To strip silver paint (or any other paint), you'll need to go the brake fluid/Easy Off route. Sure it's toxic but it works.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,550 Posts
Soaking in Windex sometimes strips paint.

BTW, I've used vinegar to strip chrome plate. Gotta watch it, though. It works fast, and starts to attack the plastic surface. I haven't figured the ideal dilution, yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
toyroy said:
BTW, I've used vinegar to strip chrome plate. Gotta watch it, though. It works fast, and starts to attack the plastic surface. I haven't figured the ideal dilution, yet.
Nothing beats Coca Cola to strip chrome. It may take its time (between 24 and 48 hours), but it strips everything and it doesn`t attack polystyrol.
 

·
Never lost for words
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
OK, it's toxic but bleach strips chrome without attacking the plastic in 30 minutes (except for the stuff on the AMT Batmobile which for some unknown reason took 24 hours to do an incomplete job).

When I want my chrome stripped, I want it stripped now!

Jim
(who wonders if caffeine free Diet Coke strips chrome too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Hi there,

I've used something over here in the UK called Fairy Power Spray. It's marketed in the US as Dawn Power Disolver. It doesn't damage styrene in anyway shape or form and generally takes off paint in about an hour or so - it may need a little scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

Hope this helps.

Rob
 

·
Never lost for words
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
robcomet said:
I've used something over here in the UK called Fairy Power Spray. It's marketed in the US as Dawn Power Disolver. It doesn't damage styrene in anyway shape or form and generally takes off paint in about an hour or so - it may need a little scrubbing with an old toothbrush.
I haven't used this product but a little Google research seems to suggest that Dawn Power Dissolver is a low power version of Easy-Off - which would add validity to Robcomet's comment.

Anybody tried it here in the US?

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,478 Posts
I don't really have any problems stripping paint with Easy-Off, even on delicate vinyl parts, I've never had it hurt anything. It does sometimes leave a pesky residue stripping chrome, I'm going to have to try Coke & Bleach!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Arronax said:
I haven't used this product but a little Google research seems to suggest that Dawn Power Dissolver is a low power version of Easy-Off - which would add validity to Robcomet's comment.

Anybody tried it here in the US?

Jim
Jim I've used it. I'll say one thing; IT WORKS! I used it on some old hotwheels cars for the ultimate test. 15 minutes later all I had to use was a paper towel to wipe of the 30 yr old enamel. I had to go back and resoak afew tough spots and scrub them with a tooth brush, that was an extra 30 minutes of soaking. Just don't get it on your hands or in your eyes; the usual safety tips apply.

This stuff works on everything, plastic, metal, resin.... I've not had any problems, but your milage may very.

Bob
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top