Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for advice on brushes and springs for the CO27 motors.monsters were easy these seem pickier.and whats a decent amp draw with these at 2V with a fan.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
As far as brushes that is open ended, everyone has there own that they will swear by. I have been having the best luck with f-brushes and red springs. On flat tracks no more then 8 amps seems to be good, if they are drawing more then file the leading edge down slightly.
Mike McDermott
Team Hyperdrive
TQ Cells
Bsr Tires
KP Motorsports
Beefy Products

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My best On Track results have been with a green Putnum on pos, blue Putnum on neg, both a .060 cavity, red springs. Wont give you high rpms or watt numbers but makes great torque over a broad range.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
jmracing said:
looking for advice on brushes and springs for the CO27 motors.monsters were easy these seem pickier.and whats a decent amp draw with these at 2V with a fan.
Hopefully this won't sound like, (or turn into) an info-mercial... :thumbsup: There are many god brushes on the market, but here's what we use:

For Oval: I'd suggest our Blue/Green combination (Blue on neg. / Green on pos.) with red springs. I always start with removing .008" - .010" off of both trailing edges, (often referred to as a "timed cut) and removing some material from the center of each brush, by drilling a cavity or cutting a slot.
Break in for 4 minutes @ 2 volts with a fan, with 2-3 drops of Top Fuel Comm drops in the back of each hood.
I shoot for 6.5-8.5 amps @ 2 volts with a fan. This is assuming that the hoods have been properly aligned so the brushes wear across the entire width of the brush face.
If the amp draw exceeds 8.5, start by removing .005" off the leading edge of each brush. This will reduce amps and RPM, but increase torque.

We have utilized this program to TQ/Win the Snowbirds in both Stock Oval classes again this year, as well as many other national level races.

If you are having trouble getting your CO27 to perform, feel free to contact me at the shop M-F, 9-5 EST and I will talk more in depth with you to resolve your problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
nah no infomercial there just the simple truth and some FREE advice on how to get more performance from a CO27. Thats what sets Todd apart from other tuners is his willingness to help other racers out with advice. I use Todds setup in my Co27's in oval and they outperform any other setup I have ever used now if I can only do a bit better on set up and oh yeah my driving skills lOL...It's hard getting used to left turns only after turning left and right for all these years.
but seriously Todds advice is great and putnam propulsion has the wins to back up what he says when it comes to what works....

·
Registered
662 Posts
john, i have had good luck with all these brushes putnams, 4499's, and f brushes. i will tell you that i've had my best luck and are still using f brushes. but take todds advice that is pretty much what 99% of the people are doing to the brushes and it helps alot using a full face is a killer and with to high of amp draw after 1-2 minutes the motor just falls flat. try not to go over 8 amps at 2 volts on a turbo. i got some other stuff you could try to shoot me a p.m. to long to post. Brad S.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Stratus54 said:
Tod... I also run touring car... what brush/spring works best for TC
Start with the setup described in the above post. If you need more bottom end in the infield, start by putting a purple spring on the positive while leaving the red spring on the negative. If you still need more bottom end, put a purple spring on the negative as well. This will also eliminate the brushes from glazing and the motor from running flat late in the run if that scenario ever happens to you.

-An easy rule of thumb to remember is this:

-Higher amp load applications typically require higher spring tension: Touring, Offroad, etc; where you have a lot of rotating mass...heavy tires, trans, 4wd, etc;

-Lower amp load applications require less spring tension: 1/12th, 4 cell Oval etc;

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
In 4wd 6-cell stock TC oval I used the expensive Trinity XXX brushes and purple springs on both +/- (with a CO27). Depending on how good the brushes and motor are you should be able to pull 9+ amps at 2 volts on a Turbo 35. This combo seemed to produce good power and long brush life. Obviously it was a little hard on the comm, but I could get away with running the car 2 weekends without having to cut the comm while still running good lap times.

The XXX brushes are not a 1 and done brush and actually can take 1 or 2 on track runs to fully seat. Usually the 2nd run after a cut was the fastest run. While the brushes are more expensive, I felt getting more runs out of them made them cheaper in the long haul.

Again, this is MY experience running a 6-cell stock 4wd TC on oval carpet and it may not necessarily apply to any other type of oval racing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have also had a lot of good luck using the XXX brushes in motors with my touring 6cell...Second was the F brushes for me... I used the same setup as Indy for the XXX with purple/purple and used red/red with the F's.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
either putnam green/blue combo with red springs, or the f-line brushes so far seem to work the best on co27's.

again.... try something, and if *you* like it.. then run it.

i still like 767 brushes too.. but thats just me. ;-)

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
tightline31408 said:
hey guys! how can you tell or how well I know how much I trimmed off. is there a gauge or a file i can get. any help would be appreciated.

ROCK :cool:
You can measure the total width of the face of the brush with a pair of calipers. If you don't own calipers, you really should pick up a pair. You can get some really inexpensive digital calipers that are great for R/C thru Harbor Freight. These are a must have tool in R/C, to measure shock lengths, tire sizes, frame heights, brush and comm sizes sizes, etc;

We sell our blue/green combo with the trailing edges already removed, (#EFB-180) and we also sell the blue/green combo pre-drilled with cavities, (#EFB-190-C).:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
ps.. todd is like "awesome" at what he does. he'll tell you what works and what doesnt. he knows what works with HIS combo's, and he also knows what works and doesnt work with other brushes...

cant go wrong with todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.