Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a guy on our local auction website who sells a few Code 2 models. This one was just in my price range. Full tampos, real riders, it had it had to be it. Not as posh as a Gathering model but still something. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is actually a Mattel code 1 produced model. In fact, it does bring back some memories for me. I am a UK person and this was during my first ever trip abroad. I had always wanted to visit USA, and a friend helped me out on a month-long trip of the States. We tied the trip to coincide with Tom Sarlitto's MDM Convention and the official Mattel Matchbox convention which was held at Chelsea Piers in New York City. It was there I met the then Matchbox team who were based at Mt Laurel in New Jersey (the old Tyco complex), before the complex was closed and Matchbox amalgamated with the rest of Mattel in El Segundo. I also met up with many other people who I had only conversed with on the internet. It was nice to finally meet many people who I dealt with for quite a few years.

This model was the show model for the event. I still remember the table with them all piled up. The following 2 years the official Mattel Matchbox convention was held at Hershey, and then they stopped doing their own shows and due to the success of Jim Gallegos' Gathering which was much nearer to El Segundo, and the fact they often turned up anyway, they arranged to make his event a Mattel sponsored event.

:) :D :p

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey that's nice to know! thanks DT and for sharing your personal story. Good to see this board here come alive a bit more. I assumed it was a regular Code 2 like this one that I have my eyes on...

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS: I've only kept the outer shell and the paper inlay. The actual plastic mold that was holding the car had to be broken to get the car out. Annoying but so be it.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha. Well, I usually agree when it comes to other diecast brands but to me it's a Matchbox specific thing to keep some packaging. Especially window boxes from the 80's and any kind of little cardboard boxes for regular wheels and superfast. We're all different. I do not keep blistercards whatsoever but the little "matchbox" type boxes are part of my MBX experience personally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts